Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old May 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

2 Mother cats and 11 kittens!

I recieved a call, a lady has been feeding 2 female cats and they gave birth, total 11 kittens. The kittens are now couple of months old (why didn't she call earlier who knows) and she needs to find home for them now since she's worried her neighbors are going to posion them.

The mother cats are semi-feral, the kittens are normal loveable kittens. Does anyone have room for these kittens?

Please help me to help these animals!
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Is this person willing to do anything to help? Like spaying the mother cats, who no doubt are going to give birth again shortly?

No point taking in the kittens if there are going to be 10 more by next week.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

No, she doesn't have a trap, she can't get the cats...the kittens who are couple of months old are running around all over the place. blah blah blah....

If the mother cats get pregnent again, she will be calling back to tell me she has 22 kittens now and it's ALL my fault, because I didn't catch the cats fast enough!

Last edited by poodletalk; May 13th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,poodletalk what a terrible situation,it's a never ending story
poor cats,poor innocent kittens and poor you for somehow being made responsible.
Before joining the forum,I never new there were soo many cat-emergencies,certainly a wake-up call,or that compassionate people like you,Lucky,Badger and everyone else exsisted.
This woman,since she is asking for help with those poor kittens,should try to trap the moms for sure,the only solution.
If they are feral,like she says,maybe the HS would have them spayed and released again,just like our HS would.
For a cat-lover,or animal-lover period,getting calls like that must be a real nightmare:sad:
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If the mother cats get pregnent again
There's no "if" - they are definitely preg again, if they have not already given birth. Feeding feral cats without s/n them is no help, in fact it makes things worse.

People who want help, but won't lift a finger themselves - what do they expect? That we can go running over there with traps and sit around all day waiting for the cats to go in them?

She can do what I did. I went to a rent-all centre, rented a trap, caught the kittens, tamed and adopted them out, then trapped the adults and had them spay/neutered. Unfortunately I had to keep the adults. It was horrible and not much fun at all, but unless I wanted countless feral cats living under my shed, no choice. I didn't sit on my butt expecting someone else to do it (although I would have liked it!)

Quote:
If they are feral,like she says,maybe the HS would have them spayed and released again,just like our HS would.
NOT! They won't even spay and neuter cats they are adopting out, never mind ferals. That'll be the day!
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

No, she won't do what you did...she's calling around her help.

Steri-Animal does catch and release, I need to ask them if they can trap the cats and sterilize the Mama cats. (If they are pregnent the kittens will be aborted.) Right now, there's so many calls from people with pregnent cats and kittens all over the place it's hard to keep up and decide who to help. If we lived in a perfect world, we would help them all, but there's only so many volunteers, so many traps and so little money.