Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Exclamation Is this going too far?

The other day I was in one of those large pet stores. While I was there I thought I would look for a book on one of my breeds, although there were no books for me, I did see some others of interest. They were titled "The Cockapoo" and "The Schoodle". Upon further inspection, I discovered they are part of the "Designer Dog" series, ah ha.

Because I am one who does not agree with mixing breeds on purpose to creat a ficticious "designer" dog for the sake of lining one's pockets, I picked up one of these said books and read the back. The first line of the description went something like this. 'Want to know what the new hip and popular dogs are this year? It is about time these designer dogs got the respect usually reserved for their pure parents.' Of course since I did not purchase the book, I am only recalling what I read, but it gives you an idea what the book would be about. It went on to talk about all the good qualities of the "breed" and why they are superior to the parent breeds. It also listed the different chapters in the book, the final two make me raise my eyebrows, they were "finding a Cockapoo", and "breeding your Cockapoo".

I think there should be a book titled "living with a mixed breed and loving it's uniqueness" instead of finding ways to make people think that these are actual reconized breeds. I know that sometimes accidents do happen, but far too often these "accidents" are not accidents at all, but a way for someone to increase their cash flow. If the breeding was being done for a specific reason, by people who know what they are doing, and they test the dogs to make sure there is nothing genically wrong with them, that may be a different story, but most of these people are just breeding their pet with the one next door, and the scarry thing is this book will tell you how to do that.

Anyways, I just though I would share that with you all, I mean seriously, havent we heard enough about "designer dogs" yet?
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Breeding your Cockapoo, OMG, with what your schnoodle?

This is really getting out of hand!
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

What would that be? a shpockoodle? Yeah, it's definitely getting out of hand. I'm afraid next they'll be breeding them down in size like they do purebreds and there will be designer toys.
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:22 PM

I think now it would have been interesting to get the book just to see what they say about breeding and what they recommend. I dont think those that write the books really know about breeding or do it themselves, because it is really not as simple as people think, and I hate to think of all those people who think they can do it too, and end up with a sick dog or not finding homes for the litter of pups they have. With the market being so flooded already, people really have to think about the choices they make, like deciding NOT to spay or neuter.

My old neighbour wanted to breed her Bichon, her idea of finding a suitable stud was to talk to everyone she saw in town who had one, and she didnt care about the dog, as long as it was close enough to home she could drop it off in the morning and pick it up later. And here I am contacting people months in advance about studs, and driving several hours one way to drop off my dog, only to return a week later to get her. Thankfully she never did have a successful breeding, and now her dog is too old.
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass View Post
What would that be? a shpockoodle? Yeah, it's definitely getting out of hand. I'm afraid next they'll be breeding them down in size like they do purebreds and there will be designer toys.

I know this isn't funny.... but I'd call it a Schnapoo .... fitting that is sounds like snafoo.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M