Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old June 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM

WANTED Golden Retriever Pup

My boss is looking for a golden retriever pup. His girls passed on in her sleep at 12 years old and her sister is looking for a friend. They have no kids and never will have any (their dogs are their babies) and his partner is a school teacher who is off for summer holidays so will be home for the next 2 months!!!!

They are going to look this weekend to pick one up!

We are in Calgary but they are willing to drive anywhere in Southern Alberta

Trust me this is the best home any pup could wish for!
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:10 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

HAve you already checked petfinder?
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG
HAve you already checked petfinder?
I have and there doesn't seem to be any! Only 3 pups listed relatively close and non are golden retrievers.
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM

It is very rare that a Golden pup is brought into Rescue and if so, there is a waiting list for them.

Heather
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Does he want a purebred? I saw "free to good home" puppies in the Bargain Finder, so I don't know if they're still available, but it would be great if they actually get a good home. Apparently they're part Husky and part Golden Retriever. They're in 8-weeks-old and in Calgary, the contact number if 403-259-5509. It says that there's one light brown pup, one dark brown pup, and two black ones.

Also in the Bargain Finder, there's a 9-month-old (I don't know if that's too old) male Golden Retriever, neutered, all shots up to date, and tattooed. It doesn't say how much it's for, but they say they can't keep him because they can't walk him . Their contact number is 403-275-1050. There's also a 10-month-old female Golden Retriever, spayed, all vaccinations and housetrained. Their contact number is 403-843-7794. I'm not sure they're adoptions, but it might be worth looking into if they are. I just know what I saw on www.buysell.com, but just from what I saw, it looks like they really need good homes, especially the pups.

This might be too old, but there's a one-year-old Retriever/Collie X in Sherwood Park, AB (I think it's about 3 hours north of Calgary) at the Northern Alberta Society for Animal Protection (http://www.nasap.ca/index.htm - there's a picture on the website). Here's what they have to say about him:

Kodak is a handsome retriever x collie of about one year. He found himself at the local pound and was taken into Nasap's care. Kodak has since been neutered and has been given his basic shots. This young fellow is an active boy who hasn't been taught much in the way of manners. Kodak pulls extremely hard on the leash but will settle down over a period time. He needs a very good run and some active playtime which should calm him down and help him to focus. He is food motivated and seems a quick learner. Kodak knows the commands "come" and "sit" and will do so most times without much repetition. Kodak appears to be too excited around cats and would likely chase them uncontrollably. He doesn't seem fazed by other dogs barking or growling at him but will get his hackles up if they are persistent, otherwise he seemed fine with the dogs he's met so far either ignoring them or wagging his tail. Kodak needs a home with perhaps another playful dog and someone willing to spend a bit of time helping him with his manners and basic commands. Kodak is too boiterous for young children so kids over 10 years are best for him. If you would like to meet Kodak please give us a call. 05-199-D

Anyways, I'll keep my eye open. ARF has quite a few pups, but unfortunately no Golden Retrievers. Good luck!
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Thanks so much! Im no the hunt now.
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM

He's pretty set on a pure golden pup around 8 weeks old. no younger of course! I have checked evreywhere and nothing! so I guess its time to check out breeders.

Thanks for all the help!

Sarah
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Coopers mom

ok pulled out my dogs annual.... all breders are ckc reg.

there's none in calgary
I'll list the town and you can pm me if they are close

-ardrossan
-duffield
-fort macleod
-millarville
-rr3 rocky mountain house
-edmonton

the only name i reconise is edmonton......
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never ever seen a purebred Golden pup in rescues or shelters around here for sure!

If they go to a breeder, tell them to be very careful!
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Not true, LR! We had a whole litter this spring! They were adopted in no time... We never even had time to put them up on the website. But I do admit that it's very rare...

Lyne
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We never even had time to put them up on the website.
I guess that's why I've never seen them.
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Owned by goldens

Is your boss willing to adopt an older pup? I have been fostering a 6 month old who should be going to her new home today. There is also an 8 month old in need of a home immediatley. I realize we are too far away but if your boss were willing to accept an older puppy he might have a better chance if he contacts a rescue group.
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM

He is set on a young pup but Im sure a cross would be OK if it was mostly Golden. If an older golden needing a home came up around our area, there is a good chance he would take him/her home. If you see any send me a pic and I will forward everything to him.

Thanks for all the help and angie79 thanks for the list, I forwarded them all to him.

Sarah
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:54 PM
banned user

Look At This

Here is 10weeks old pup, adorable
Golden Retriever Rescue Quebec
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:44 AM
banned user

OMG He is as cute as a button, like something out of a commercial
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM

She is adorable! Unfortunatly he visited a byb on the weekend and brought home his 6 week old little girl. He didn't know any better though as I didn't give him my whole speech, I thought I had more time.
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM
banned user

Thats too bad, I hope she doesnt end up with medical problems as most byb dogs do, and six weeks is awfully young to be away from her mother. she hasnt yet learned the basic rigths and wrongs from her. I would suggest he gets pet insurance right away. as he is not going to want to swap the puppy for a new one if she gets sick (The byb are not going to pay for her medical bills they will simply swap her for another dog and destroy her)
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishvixen21
Thats too bad, I hope she doesnt end up with medical problems as most byb dogs do, and six weeks is awfully young to be away from her mother. she hasnt yet learned the basic rigths and wrongs from her. I would suggest he gets pet insurance right away. as he is not going to want to swap the puppy for a new one if she gets sick (The byb are not going to pay for her medical bills they will simply swap her for another dog and destroy her)
I will mention the pet insurance to him. I agree that a pup should be with her mom until at least 8 weeks old, when he told me the age I said "thats way to young dont you think" and he says thats the age he got his last dog at. Its to bad, I was really hoping he would hold out for a rescue mix.