Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 11th, 2004, 08:19 PM

Cats and litter

I'm just wondering if this is normal behaviour, what would cause it, and what can I do to fix it!
I have two cats, both are litter trained, no problems with them using the box. It's just they spread the litter everywhere. When they're digging around, it's flying all over our bathroom. When they get out, they kick/shake their little paws and cover our floors and bathmats. I would love to have a separate room for them, however, we don't have one! Also, when they do go, first they spend close to 5mins digging around (which is really annoying when you're trying to sleep!), then they will dig ALL the way down to the bottom, do their business, and kick litter over it. So, when you go to clean it, there is this nice lump stuck to the bottom of the box, sprinkled with litter, and then you try to get it out and the scooper gets stuck and you end up flinging used litter all over the place!
Yes, we do clean the litter every day, so I know it's not because it's dirty. And we've tried having LOTS of litter in the box, and just a little bit of litter, doesn't seem to matter.
Why must they kick litter everywhere? Why must they dig all the way to the bottom?
And one other non-litter related issue. If we have any laundry, dirty/clean/on a dresser/on the floor, they have gotten in the habit of carrying it out of our bedroom, and into the living room. OR, if I have my hockey equipment out, they will grab my jersey or socks, and carry them into my bedroom.
What is up with that?

Thank you for letting me vent, and hopefully someone has some answers!
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:30 PM
banned user

With the issues about the litter, they are perfectly normal cats! Mine do the same things. You can get a mat for underneath the box to help keep it in one area... this seems to help some. Also someone here uses a rubbermaid bin, I would guess a more shallow one, but it's still way deeper than a litter box, and cheaper too!
You could also try the newspaper based litter for cats, it would eliminate some mess and noise if they're using it while you're sleeping. I believe it's expensive compared to regular litter though. Good luck.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My cats kick the litter around so much, I feel I'm at the beach when I go in the room.

Luckily, they have their own room, but it's still a pain.

I suggest a covered litter box, or a very deep plastic bin, like the kind used to wash dishes in. Put a nubby mat under the litterbox, so hopefully the litter on their toes won't leave the room.

As for your dirty laundry, some cats do seem very attracted to the smell of perspiration. I guess they just love you!
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I would have to say.......everything is normal.....and you are quite lucky that they go in the box no matter how messy they are ...at least your not worrying how to clean your rug of constant pee and poo stains Have one of those cheap hand vaccumes handy in the bathroom so you can vaccumme up the mess they leave behind
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Try boot trays under the litter boxes - or get one that has a lid. Mine do the same thing, but I find that it isn't so bad when I have a boot tray underneath
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Definetly get a couple of Rubbermaid storage-boxes(6$/piece),they are longer,more room for the cat to scratch,higher,the litter stays in the box
Best buy I ever did.Mine are 2 feet long,8 inches high a nice blue colour fitting the decor in the downstairs bathroom
Otherwise your cats are doing all the normal cat-things
Also,put enough litter in the boxes(2 inches)so they do not scratch to the bottom.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:12 AM

here is my 2 cents...

1) hooded cat box-if your cats will have it, i would even suggest the box with a door. they also have a cool litter box that looks like a dome. the way the opening is situated, it is designed to decrease the spraying. I'm not sure if that concept works but the hood definately helps.

2) at petsmart (or any local store near you) they have this gray litter mat that looks a bit like fake plastic grass. this seems to help my litter tracking. plus, the litter sinks between the "blades of grass". this has been such a great addition to our litter boxes.

other than that, there isn't much you can do about the digging. i think it is a cat's personal preference. a couple of my cats will dig to china if they could. the other 2 don't dig at all and like to go right on top of the surface. and i swear, one of them (i haven't figured out who yet) has decided that he must display is poop and doesn't even bother covering it up!

they are strange little creatures...but how can you not love them to bits????
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

*pointing and laughing at you* j/k! It's normal!!
In my old place we had the litter in the kitchen (EwWwWwwwWwww) that was the only room that we had enough space to keep it. It was soooo annoying when he would kick the litter around and it would get tracked all over the place, not to mention the smell, but that's another story.

Thisplace we are fortunate enough to have storage closet that is clean and tidy that we keep his litter in, the door stay sopen so he can go in and out and he pleases... we have changed to a covered litter box and I use Multicat cat litter. I have a small carpet that I bought for 2 dollars at WalMart that is in front of the opening to limit the amount of litter tracked around.
Fortunately Connor hasn't taken to moving our laudry to the living room - sorry I can't help with that!!!
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

The litter issue is normal alright! I kept the litter box by the washing machine, My cat kicked litter out of the box so much, that I would have to sweep the floor 2 or 3 times a day, or I would go insane from walking on it. And I am by no mean, a clean freak. I eventually just lined the floor with newspaper, and put the litter box in the middle of it. The newspaper added an extra foot around the box, where the litter would always land. It made clean up just a bit easier. Pick up newspaper, hold over trash can, dump, lay back down. It made it so I wasn't always sweeping the area.

As far as the other issue, I have no idea why they do that, maybe out of boredom? Or something like that.
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the all responses! I think I'll definitely go get one of those rubbermaids and try some of that green turf stuff under it!

Old October 19th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Animal Lover!!

LOL All totally normal...
My cats do the same, and a cvered litter box will help a bit, plus all the suggestions were great about having a mat, that will help too
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Monkey, sorry but that made me laugh! My girls dig so much each time they go and spread that litter everywhere! The area is small, no other good place, so at least I have a small area to sweep up..........I can feel for you though!

On the other hand, my oldest cat, Cody,13 yr old male, won't touch any litter with his paws, never has...he squats over the side of the box, then scratches like crazy on the washer or dryer, any other surface. Then the girls come in to cover what he left.....

~~dmc

Last edited by dmc123; October 19th, 2004 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelled name wrong, the added more info