Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Question Collapsing Trachea and Dog Licenses

Hello Pets.ca!

I have an 8 y/o Pomapoo named Chico. He is my beloved furbaby. Unfortunately he has a collapsing trachea. We have tried medicines for it, and he doesn't respond to them. The only option the vet has left for us is a very expensive, very risky surgery that may not even work. At his age, we don't think it is worth it to put him through the stress and pain on a chance that it might help.

In the early years of his life, we were clueless and left his collar on all the time. Once we were informed of the situation, we immediately stopped and tried switching to a harness, however he can't even wear a harness comfortably now without coughing. So, we let him run around the house and yard without a collar/harness.

This hasn't *knock on wood* been a problem until now. Our city is now introducing very hefty fines for unlicensed dogs. He is licensed, he just can't wear his tags, since he can't wear a collar/harness. Chico is (unfortunately) a runner. If he gets out, he is pretty much gone. We have lost him a few times, but this was before we stopped making him wear a collar all the time, so he was returned home in short order.

We don't want to be smacked with over $300 in fines if we lose him. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the license tag on him without aggrivating the collapsing trachea?
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is he microchipped? If you explained the circumstances maybe they'll exempt you from having the tags on Chico provided he can be identified by microchip.

Another option is to get a slightly larger soft collar and put it loosely around his waist. It sounds odd, but I've seen people use that method for dogs with throat/neck issues. The only problem is that you'd normally take it off when he's inside and if his escapes are made out a door to the outside he still wouldn't have tags on him when he got out..

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:14 PM

Some harness are designed in a figure 8 way where each loop goes down around a leg and nothing touches the neck. I will try to find a pic for you.

Not a figure 8 one, but here's a no choke harness

For the life of me, I can't find the brand names of the next two, but I know the first one (I think it is UK9 brand) you can get at high-end dog/cat food stores.

Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Is he microchipped? If you explained the circumstances maybe they'll exempt you from having the tags on Chico provided he can be identified by microchip.

Another option is to get a slightly larger soft collar and put it loosely around his waist. It sounds odd, but I've seen people use that method for dogs with throat/neck issues. The only problem is that you'd normally take it off when he's inside and if his escapes are made out a door to the outside he still wouldn't have tags on him when he got out..
I did call Animal Services. Chico isn't microchipped, but he is tattooed. Their response was that while they can link a tattoo/microchip to a license, it doesn't act as a license. And they would need to take him back to the pound to check the tattoo/microchip, whereas they can do a check on a license tag in the truck used to transport the animals. If Chico has to be taken back to the pound, then the fees would still be charged as if he weren't licensed because it is a "cost to them" to keep him there until we could pick him up.

I will look for the figure eight harnesses.
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillabean View Post
I will look for the figure eight harnesses.
Fyi, the harnesses in the first photo don't go around the neck. Each loop is for a leg, so it doesn't choke either. I'm sure the brand is called UK9, but I can't find them online.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Fyi, the harnesses in the first photo don't go around the neck. Each loop is for a leg, so it doesn't choke either. I'm sure the brand is called UK9, but I can't find them online.
The second one is also a UK9 brand, but it seems a little flimsy to me, as Chico can get a little rambunctious at times. The first one seems perfect if I could just find one!

Edited to add: It is called the Huggy Harness and the brand is actually United K9's. They only sell wholesale off their website though. /grump
The search continues!

Last edited by vanillabean; August 19th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Approaching from another angle, vanillabean--if Chico tends to be a runner, are there things you can do around the house and yard to make it more secure for him? Does he tend to get away by barging out a door, or does he escape from the yard?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:58 PM

Well, mostly it is due to people around him not paying attention.

Chico lives with my parents, as I can't have him in my apartment (hoping to get a house soon!) and my dad tends to do things like leave the gate open while Chico is in the yard or stand on the doorstep talking to the neighbours.

Most of the time Chico will go visit his tree in the front yard and come back, especially if there is someone coming home (myself, my fiance, my dad, etc.) or a visitor to the house. But for example, one time he saw a rabbit and went chasing it down around the corner. Another time he saw Duke (beautiful Golden from down and across the street) and went to say hi. Across the street. With lots of traffic.

I have tried talking to my dad about it... but he doesn't really listen.

Case and point (different scenario) my parents gave him a rib bone... which he wound up swallowing whole. He was fine (thank GOODNESS) but after that I asked that no more bones be given to him, period. The bones haven't stopped, they have just stopped telling me about them.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM

There is also the Shoulder Collar: http://www.gollygear.com/shldr_col.htm

You just might have to order online unless a local pet supply store has a wholesale contract with one of the mentioned companies or carries something similar.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM

I would recommend trying one of these styles of harness. Even making one in similar style to see if he is effected in any way. It is nowhere near his throat so should not effect him. Is it possible he just doesn't like wearing a collar/harness and has learned a coughing behavior gets it taken off?