Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDog View Post
how about mineral oil?
GSDog Mineral oil is a bad idea please read the link posted above in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDRY View Post
that whole "menu foods scandal" scared me to death!!! makes you wonder what's safe to buy. i can't imagine what those poor people went thru finding out they had unknowlingly poisoned their own pets - i know i'd be sick over it. blessings and prayers to them to heal.
Unfortunately it was not just the Menu Foods that was affected by that recall, the other company that was affected is Royal Canin including the prescription "Sensitive" formula which my girl was eating @ the time & has been diagnosed with kidney disease due to the food :sad:.

After that I did my research into the Holistic foods I mentioned above and she did good on the Wellness but has since been switched to Raw which she is doing great on.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM

growler

oh, growler. i'm so sorry to hear about your baby. i am glad to hear she is doing better tho. is "raw" a brand name? where would i buy it? i am in nova scotia, so i don't know if we carry all the brands named, but i'd like to try for the one that is going to be best.

tracy : )
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDRY View Post
oh, growler. i'm so sorry to hear about your baby. i am glad to hear she is doing better tho. is "raw" a brand name? where would i buy it? i am in nova scotia, so i don't know if we carry all the brands named, but i'd like to try for the one that is going to be best.

Hee hee, "raw" is actually just referring to uncooked meat. It's not as simple as throwing down a raw chicken breast, but basically it's attempting to recreate what a cat would naturally eat in the wild (where there are no hibachis or microwaves). You can prepare a 'raw diet' yourself after doing some research (here are 2 good sites: http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php) or else you can buy pre-packaged raw sold in some pet food stores (although not all of these are properly balanced so you still have to do your research). It truly is the ideal way to feed cats, but not all cats are aware of this (after eating cooked & over-processed foods their whole lives, it can take some convincing that raw meat is actually food). Anyway, something to think about.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Thank you Yeah the raw I buy for Duffy is pre-packaged from a local BC company recommended by my homeopath vet but so far it is only available here.

If you were interested in the pre-packaged form you would need to find a company (preferably local so it's not trucked great distances) that uses non-medicated, hormone-free, free range meats with an appropriate amount of bone (depending on which type of meat), organs, vit e and veggies (for cats 5% or less). As SCM mentioned you could also prepare it yourself, though there is more research & balancing of ingredient portions needed. I believe most members who are feeding raw are home prepping because there are not many companies who make raw food across the country (there are however alot in BC ).

If you are interested you can check out the raw food section of the dog & cat food forum and the site is also very informative http://rawfedcats.org/

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM

merricks

hooray - i found a retailer that carries merricks (plus some of the other brands mentioned in this thread) that is right here in my city. i'll be going over there this weekend to pick some up.

thanks again, all. it's also good to know that there are many sites out there offering advice re homemade cat food.

cheers!
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM

can't won't poop or eat: CONSTIPATED

After 3 days of not eating or pooping we took our 9 month old ragdoll kitten to the vet. She seemed happy and normal, was grooming, drinking and peeing but of course we were concerned because she's a piglet who adrores her food.
They gave her an x-ray to check for any foreign bodies/blockages (none, but she was chock full of poop) but they told us it wouldn't show things like hair elastics, string, tinsel etc that kittens her age like to nibble on.
They also gave her an enema. The enema only retreived 4" of poop, they told us to expect another 6" soon.
We were also told we could give her hairball control paste (aka kitty malt/beef flavoured mineral oil) 3 times a day to get things moving. We smeared a 1/4 teaspoon on top of each foot so she had to lick it off.
Also after vomiting one meal she attempted on day 4, she didn't want to drink anymore, so we took a syringe (no needle of course) and squirted water into her mouth regularly since hydration helps pooping.
On day 5 she finally pooped those 6" out and wanted her breakfast.
There was nothing foreign in her poop at all since the vet told me to check for carpet strings, etc so we would have a better idea what caused this. It was just constipation, but once there is no room in the colon for any more, they can't keep their food down or want any more.
In future we were told to supplement her diet with a little kittymalt once each day 1/2 teaspoon, and put out pumpkin to help her along with fibre. We plan to flavour the pumpkin with the juice from her wet food tin, which is what we feed her 3 times a day plus at night some dental kibble to snack on for her teeth.
Hope this helps you, too.
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:01 PM

By the way, according the the research I've seen, mineral oil in it's liquid/watery form can be aspirated and be bad for cats. In it's petroleum jelly /hairball remedy medicine form, purchased from a vet or pet food store, it is meant to be injested and just passes through the body as a lubricant and doesn't harm kitty. I trust my vet wouldn't recommend regular use of a product that would be bad for long term health. Perhaps do it yourself medicating may not be the way to go versus formulated pastes. Also, that pumpkin is a great idea.
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post
In it's petroleum jelly /hairball remedy medicine form, purchased from a vet or pet food store, it is meant to be injested and just passes through the body as a lubricant and doesn't harm kitty.
Long-term regular ingestion of petroleum by-products can indeed cause harm to some cats. For one, they interfere with nutrient absorption. They can also initiate an inflammatory response in the digestive tract, and chronic inflammation is detrimental to good health. Plus, many of these hairball formulas contain other noxious ingredients like sugar, artificial flavours/colours, and sodium benzoate as a preservative.

Constipation is best avoided by feeding a good quality species-appropriate wet food diet, supplemented with soluble fibre for cats that need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post
I trust my vet wouldn't recommend regular use of a product that would be bad for long term health.
While I'm not saying vets shouldn't be trusted, I do think there are a number of products and treatments they offer that aren't in the best interest of cats. Take the horrid food they sell, for instance. Or the excessive vaccination schedules many still follow. Or drugs like Metacam.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler