Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Question Tramadol, constipation and pumpkin

Given that tramadol can cause constipation, I'd like to supplement more heavily with pumpkin to keep Ember regular... He weighs about 53 pounds. Anyone know how much pumpkin I should/can give him to keep him 'going', so to speak? And is there a limit to how much I can give him? Currently, he's getting about 1 - 2 Tbsp a day, but with the Tramadol, I'm guessing I'll have to add more

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM

We give Leia a tablespoon per meal (2x a day) she does great on it. Our vet recommended a high fiber diet b/c she needs to shed a few pounds.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM

Hi! I'm from Wi. too. Don't know how far apart we live---if I had a Wi. map, I'd try to find out. I'm about 40-50 miles south/west of Madison. Anyway, I have read to mix equal parts pumpkin and yogurt (yogurt w/ all the good cultures). Milk is not suppose to be a good thing to give a dog, but it does something to maybe cause diarrhea and in an emergency (constipation) is worth a try. One of my dogs was having a hard time going and I came across that hint somewhere--so I gave him a little warm milk and he did go---whether because of the milk or not, I don't know for sure but ---will give you something to think about. Good luck!
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

totallyhip: How big is Leia? Is she much bigger than 50 lbs? I'm trying to get a feel for how high I should increase the pumpkin he's getting now...he already gets probably 1.5 Tbsp...think if I increase it to 3 Tbsp it'll make him crampy?

corky/max: I think many dogs are lactose intolerant, so the milk could cause diarrhea. I hope it doesn't get so bad that I have to try it, though. They do get yogurt in the morning, for the mild probiotic effect and they get pumpkin at night. I'm hoping that just increasing the amount of pumpkin will get us past the binding effects (if any) of the Tramadol

We're about 45 miles due east of Eau Claire, so we're probably a good piece NNW from you. Maybe 150 miles?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I never had any trouble feeding extra pumpkin, Mollys usual was probably close to 3 tblsps .. I gave her two heaping spoons full, one in am, one in pm. Maybe just gradually increase?
I gave to Molly for the opposite reason though, trying to firm things up.
A bit of ground flax seed or even flax oil might work too... just a little at time though, it's VERY effective
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, I never thought of flax! If I need to speed things up a bit, so to speak, that might be a great option!

Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:52 AM
-

Hey Hazel , how about trying All Bran ? I put some in Chloe's kibble once in a while ... might work ?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I also have some Metamucil in the dog cabinet. That might also be an option. It's old, though...from Evan's time and he died in 2001 I guess it's time to buy more!

Okay, so we doubled his pumpkin, adding the same amount to his breakfast that we give him for supper. And if that doesn't work, I can try flax or All Bran or Metamucil... I hope I don't have to resort to lactose intolerance!

Tags
constipation, pumpkin, tramadol