Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old October 12th, 2011, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Cool pics, RR! Your hubby did a great job!

The spring pic (first one) is of a mockingbird. Great singers, very feisty and a blast to watch. Wish we had them here.

The second is a yellow-bellied sapsucker, a type of woodpecker. I just found out this year that other woodpeckers (downy woodpeckers, in particular) seem to like dogwood berries. I wonder if your sapsucker was going after the fruit?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Cool pics, RR! Your hubby did a great job!

The spring pic (first one) is of a mockingbird. Great singers, very feisty and a blast to watch. Wish we had them here.

The second is a yellow-bellied sapsucker, a type of woodpecker. I just found out this year that other woodpeckers (downy woodpeckers, in particular) seem to like dogwood berries. I wonder if your sapsucker was going after the fruit?

MOCKINGBIRD? oh gosh. do I feel silly now. I always thought they were a bit smaller , and rounder. Well now I know. The ones that come around here are fiesty. They chase the other birds out of the pair tree when they are about. They always make a nest under our carport..and when we go to get in the car or truck they dive down like they are "attacking". Its funny.

Yellowbellied sapsucker. OMG...I laughed so hard. Growing up my family always would say you are the "son of a siberian sap sucker." (an alternative to calling someone a son of a b. (jokingly of course).
So...now that I know what a sap sucker is...that puts a WHOLE new image to that saying. LOL.
and yes....im sure he was having a go at the berries. they are berries right now, and all the birds are squabbling over them.
Thank you so much. I enjoy birds, but really have a hard time telling the difference from alot of them. I mean..bluebirds, jay, cardinals. They are easy to tell . But the little brown and black birds...kinda all look similar.

I couldnt wait to get on here this afternoon to see "what" they were. Thank you for the id. And growler thanks again for posting the pics!
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Went back to finish up July cuz I need hard drive space. Found this little guy:

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 7-23-11 C.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  51.7 KB

Sorta reminded me of sunny summer days and brightly-colored flowers...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Oh he is a beaut! I have to say hazel you have a wonderful camera to pick up such details on thier feathers, ect...
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I wasn't very far away...maybe 15 feet. The resident adults are pretty tolerant of me if I stand still.

Old October 12th, 2011, 09:35 PM
You can call me DOG!

Beautiful pictures RR and kudos to hubs for taking the wonderful shots.

I don't think I've ever seen a real picture of a Mockingbird before. Heard many songs about them but no pictures.

Hazel; you hummer is stunning as usual. I miss the Orioles and Hummers. I think Todd has ventured on.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Found a few more this afternoon/evening:

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 7-28-11 F.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 7-28-11 D.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 7-28-11 C.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  52.6 KB

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 7-28-11 B.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  53.6 KB

I think there might be some warblers hiding in the July folder, too--might get to them tomorrow

Old October 13th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Hazel: As usual, your hummingbird pictures are stunning.
renegaderuby: I have trouble with all the little brown birds, too, they look so much alike and are so hard to tell apart because they move so quickly. That's where pictures come in handy. You can freeze the bird (without hurting it) long enough to see the markings that distinguish one kind from another, and then ask Hazel for a quick ID.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-

Last edited by ownedbycats; October 13th, 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Maybe I can get a job as a bird guide somewhere...or better yet, work from home and have the guided tours here. Holy catz, I can hear the Pack barking at my clients now!!

I just finished up July and found a very young chestnut-sided warbler fem--probably just days out of the nest and maybe her first day on her own.

She started out rather shy...
Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler, first fall fem 7-30-11 E.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  79.5 KB

...but quickly decided I didn't look too dangerous, after all.
Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler, first fall fem 7-30-11 A.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler, first fall fem 7-30-11 C1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  78.9 KB

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm finally getting around to August images. Yes, I'm a lot behind. *sigh*

Here's a sandhill crane and its youngster fattening up for the migration south:

Name:  Sandhill crane 8-6-11 B.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  Sandhill crane 8-6-11 D1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  111.0 KB

And cliff swallows on a wire (there were about 150 of them out on a farm I drove by so I stopped to take a pic or several... I do that too often, which is why I'm so far behind processing images ):

Name:  Cliff swallows 8-6-11 D1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  39.2 KB

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A first fall male common yellowthroat warbler--you can see his black mask already starting to show:

Name:  Common yellowthroat, first fall male 8-10-11 B.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  151.3 KB

For comparison, a first fall female common yellowthroat warbler:

Name:  Common yellowthroat 8-17-11 E first fall fem.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  82.4 KB

And my one and only Canada warbler for the year--probably a first fall fem:

Name:  Canada warbler, first fall fem 8-21-11.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  113.0 KB

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A few more ruby-throated hummingbirds, all juveniles:

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 8-14-11 H.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 8-18-11 F first fall male.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird at figwort 8-21-11 C.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  78.3 KB

You can tell the juvie males by the single red feathers dotting their throats.

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
You can tell the juvie males by the single red feathers dotting their throats.
So cute, looks like he's got a ruby pendant on

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And they're so proud of their single red feathers. They'd sit on the fence and practice flaring their gorgets at each other. Of course, at that age, it's not all that impressive to humans, but the birds seemed to be pretty impressed!

Old November 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM

Hazel, I want to move to your area, you have so many species nearby!
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

*sigh* They've all gone for the winter now...just a few fox sparrows and juncos left of the migrants.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A few November pics...

American goldfinches at the thistle feeders:
Name:  American goldfinch 11-24-11.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  68.6 KB

A white-breasted nuthatch--see the band?
Name:  White-breasted nuthatch, banded 11-24-11 A.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  62.6 KB

A male purple finch:
Name:  Purple finch 11-24-11 F.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  54.8 KB

Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Also from November, a brief encounter with some Tundra swans on a very gloomy day near dusk:

Name:  Tundra swan 11-21-11 L.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  Bathing tundra swan 11-21-11 E2.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  Bathing tundra swan 11-21-11 M.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  71.6 KB

Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

What a great treat Hazel, me for one is happy it has taken you time to post some more birdy pics 'cause it reminds me of summer. All I have around here at this time of the year are the funny Magpies and the Chicky Chicadees. patti
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A little out of sequence, but I finally finished the September pics.

A couple of American robins looking for a chance to sneak into the dogwood shrubs below and snag some berries:
Name:  American robin 9-29-11 A.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  American robin 9-29-11 B.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  90.0 KB

A lurking young male rose-breasted grosbeak partaking of some ripe elderberries:
Name:  Lurking in the dogwoods 9-24-11 B.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  90.8 KB

Old December 31st, 2011, 07:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A yellow-rumped (myrtle form) warbler in winter plumage:
Name:  Myrtle warbler 9-29-11 A.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  72.8 KB

Sandhill cranes headed south for the winter:
Name:  Sandhill cranes 9-29-11 A.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  35.3 KB

Old December 31st, 2011, 07:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

White-throated sparrows:

Name:  White-throated sparrow 9-24-11 A.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  White-throated sparrow 9-29-11 A.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  White-throated sparrow 9-29-11 C.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  70.0 KB

Old December 31st, 2011, 07:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally, some gray catbirds. All of them had their eyes on the dogwood berries. The dogwoods are a popular avian dining destination in September and October.

Name:  Gray catbird 9-24-11 A.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  Gray catbird 9-24-11 I.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  Gray catbird 9-24-11 M.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  76.7 KB

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

February 2012 Banding at Hazel Run

We had another banding session at the house on the 8th. Persistent rumors of common redpolls (CORE) brought the crew back out to the house. And there were definitely redpolls. We ended up banding 41 of them! We also banded 33 black-capped chickadees (BCCH), 16 American goldfinches (AMGO), 9 purple finches (PUFI), 2 white-breasted nuthatches (WBNU), 2 downy woodpeckers (DOWO) and a red-breasted nuthatch (RBNU). Above and beyond that, we netted 14 black-capped chickadees, 3 white-breasted nuthatches, 1 downy woodpecker and 1 red-breasted nuthatch that were already banded (all on the property and within the last 6 months). In all, including one white-breasted nuthatch that made its escape from the mist net before we had a chance to retrieve it, we managed to net 124 birds.

Here are some of the highlights:

Birds were hitting the first nets while we were still setting up the last nets. Here Karen and Dan are banding the first white-breasted nuthatch of the day.
Name:  Processing the first birds 2-8-12 A.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  67.2 KB

Never a dull moment--Augie, Karen and Dan clear AMGOs and COREs from one of the nets.
Name:  It took a while to clear the nets 2-8-12 D.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  113.9 KB

A young male redpoll, newly banded, waits patiently for release.
Name:  Banded common redpoll, young male 2-8-12 B.jpg
Size:  54.4 KB

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:09 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A WBNU hangs patiently in the mist net:
Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 2-8-12 B.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  83.9 KB

If looks could kill, we would all have died that morning! Chickadees can really glare when they're ticked off:
Name:  Black-capped chickadee 2-8-12 A3.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  61.2 KB

Dan and Augie work to clear one of the nets as the morning sun peeks through the trees.
Name:  Dan and Augie at the nets 2-8-12 A.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  133.1 KB

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A newly banded PUFI:
Name:  A newly banded purple finch 2-8-12.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  61.7 KB

Purple finches are feisty. This one is telling Karen exactly what he thinks of her :
Name:  Ready for release--banded purple finch, male 2-8-12.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  66.6 KB

A banded male PUFI with a suet face waiting for release:
Name:  Banded purple finch, male 2-8-12 A.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  46.3 KB

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A female RBNU throwing up a wing in her best melodramatic "Oh, woe is me!"
Name:  Oh, woe is me--red-breasted nuthatch, fem 2-8-12.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  43.9 KB

"Oh. You mean you're not going to eat me?!"
Name:  You mean you're not gonna eat me! Red-breasted nuthatch fem 2-8-12.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  36.9 KB

"Alrighty, then, I'm outta here!"
Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch fem abstract 2-8-12.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  196.8 KB

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Extracting a goldfinch from the nets. You'll notice that Karen uses a crochet hook to help her tease the mesh off the bird. Augie's preferred tool, on the other hand, is a tweezers.
Name:  Retrieving an American goldfinch 2-8-12 A2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  52.8 KB

This handsome male red-breasted nuthatch was a recap--he'd been banded during our September session last year. I remembered him from then (we don't band that many RBNU so they're all memorable). He was as handsome then as he is now.
Name:  Recap red-breasted nuthatch, male 2-8-12 A.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  35.4 KB

Karen checking the band number on a chickadee she'd just retrieved from the mist net. If the band is from the current day, the bird is just released. This one was from an earlier session, so the band number and some stats (species, age and gender if they can be determined, wing chord) were recorded as a follow-up. Once done, the bird is released.
Name:  Checking the band number on a recap BCCH 2-8-12.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  50.4 KB

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

A sweet little BCCH waiting to be released after banding:
Name:  Banded BCCH, waiting for release 2-8-12 B.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  46.0 KB

One of the 41 common redpolls banded this day. COREs are an irruptive visitor here--they only show up in numbers every few years. The last time we had this many was during the winter of 2008-9. It will be interesting to see, if the Beaver Creek Reserve crew is still banding out here during the next CORE irruption, if any of the birds return.
Name:  Banded redpoll 2-8-12 C.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  38.8 KB

Bye bye, birdie!!!
Name:  Departing redpoll abstract 2-8-12.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  42.9 KB