Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM

self starvation

I've had Chester, my standard poodle, for 16 months now. He's a wonderful dog. He is good with my kids and other kids as well. He's always excited to see anyone. He runs up and shakes all over and between peoples legs etc. ( makes me wonder what he'd do if someone broke into my house ) He's good around other dogs as well.

Yesterday he didn't eat all day, by his own choice. There was someone home all day. He played and ran like he normally does and didn't act like there was anything wrong. After I got home, he nibbled a little here and a little there until his food was all gone. This morning, he ate all his food like normal.

My question;

Is it normal for dogs to occasionally not want to eat their food?
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hey Rod, yup pretty normal. sometimes they just aren't hungry just like us. Aslong as he doesn't go for a few days i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Geek Club CEO

Jaida eats very irregularly. Sometimes scarfs her food, sometimes won't touch it, most of the time kinda picks at it over the course of an hour. It's "normal" for her. If she didn't eat anything in more than 24 hours I would worry, however.

I know someone whose dog is for all intents and purposes anorexic. He's had to bribe/force feed his dog for years. She just will not eat. That's pretty extreme, though.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Albert's mommy

As long as it doesn't go on for days, and they are still pooping/peeing normally, and are still playful I wouldn't worry. Could've been an upset tummy...or maybe too much exitement that day that he 'forgot'!

LOL on the guard dog! I always say that if a robber came in and threw Al a pork chop he'd happily walk out and say 'there's my mommy, take what you want, thanks for the chop!'
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Chester sounds normal to me too. My girl Shadow regularly goes a day or so without eating anything but a cookie or two if she's inclined. After about 30 hours her tummy will start to rumble and gurgle and I have to force some chicken into her mouth and tip her head back to make her swallow. Then all of a sudden she's like - oh yeah, I'm hungry, that's good, I'll eat now!! Then she eats her whole bowl of food and is just fine again. It's not unusual for her to skip a couple meals at all. I wouldn't worry unless he goes a couple days without eating anything at all or if he stopped eating and starting throwing up suddenly or acting very strange. He's just not hungry sounds like.
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Very normal at our house too! One of my dogs rarely skips meals while our other dog seems more picky and skips the odd meal - I especially notice this when it is hot outside.

I think I have heard that it is good for dogs to fast once in awhile - it offers the digestive tract a rest and cleans out the toxins.

That being said, I would get concerned if they didn't eat for a couple of days.
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM

I free feed Buster so he has food whenever he wants and somedays he barely touches anything. I have noticed that when it is very hot and humid out, he won't eat much, just like a human. If there is thunder and lightening, he is less hungry. He is pretty much a "fair weather" dog!

Definitely if he went more than 24 hours without ANY food, I would be concerned, but as long as he is doing his normal potty, I don't worry too much.

Got pictures????

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hi Rod, pretty normal. Dazy does this in the summer, especially when its hot...or when shes very tired...or when she hasn't burnt much energy that day - they just dont need it. Some dogs self regulate. As long as they eat, drink, poop and pee...their fine, if it extends a few days, maybe see a vet.

However, on days where they refuse kibble...they will take treats and bones...so dont let him fool ya.

I think we need to see some pics of your boy!!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I'm with Ford Girl, a lot of the time when Shadow doesn't want her kibble she will pick off the meat treats on top and leave the kibble. But after a day or so she'll eat the kibble too. But given her choice she'd fill up just on chicken or beef.