Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old March 31st, 2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Giant African Snail...help

( Marko...I hope this is ok...I'm not a rescue group, but I don't know what else to do/ you can take it off if I am breaking rules regarding adoptions)

I am wondering if anyone would like to adopt Giant African Snail. My son belongs to a science club, and 3 weeks ago all the kids ( without the parents consent) brought home a tiny, tiny snail( no bigger than baby finger nail)....I asked my son what is was and googled it ...well I found out that it grows up to 12inches....way to big for a snail( it is now as big as a loonie). I called the science teachers and told them that we could not keep a snail that may survive to become a huge huge monster of a snail....to which they replied..."no problem...once it gets as big as you want it...just put it in the freezer"...Well I can't kill the snail...and I know its a snail but its a living snail..and I can't do it...so

please is there anyone out there that may want to try and raise a snail..they are non-allergenic..and eat only a small piece of lettuce. I can include pics if anyone is interested..or knows someone who has might be...
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

cpietra...but

I really do sympathize, though. And I hope that someone comes forward to give this poor unwanted snail a loving forever home...

Where would you even keep a snail that big?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Awwww that's so sweet!! If I were closer I would take him/her!

Maybe one of our fish loving people will adopt the snail

It sounds like one of the least maintenance pets to own

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM

That's nice of you to think of the snail, but please consider freezing it. Not sure if they are legal in Canada, but they are not in the US and are considered an invasive species. They can do a lot of damage and rapidly multiply.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MD...et_92709_7.pdf
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG...I am harboring an illegal alien.....I am starting to hate science.....ugh!!!!
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin7 View Post
That's nice of you to think of the snail, but please consider freezing it. Not sure if they are legal in Canada, but they are not in the US and are considered an invasive species. They can do a lot of damage and rapidly multiply.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MD...et_92709_7.pdf
OMG....Cpietra!!! Maybe you should show this to the school.....and they let all the kids just do "whatever" with these snails?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Happycats, I don't know if I have the guts to put a live creature in the freezer, but I will let the science teachers know what they've started...there are 15 kids in that class that have these snails....I am sure some of the parents eirther threw them outside or they froze them...I just can't do it...at least not until he starts eating my house plants and kids I hate what I get into....
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Happycats, I don't know if I have the guts to put a live creature in the freezer, but I will let the science teachers know what they've started...there are 15 kids in that class that have these snails....I am sure some of the parents eirther threw them outside or they froze them...I just can't do it...at least not until he starts eating my house plants and kids I hate what I get into....

then just keep him till he dies of natural causes oh but he's a she too, so will have millions of babies!!! I know how you feel though, I can't kill living creatures either (except mosquitoes and the odd irritating fly)
can you get a friend or neighbour to freeze it? Won't they come back to life when they thaw? It said in the report that they hibernate in the snow/cold

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I may take him /her to a sanctuary or something....Ij ust don't want to be the cause of "the 2008 mysterious dissappearance a whole forest"...news article..
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:58 PM

I am fairly sure they are not legal in Canada either... sorry :sad: I would certainly alert the teacher, they shouldn't have those snails.

I understand what you are saying, I am one who doesn't like killing things either, and will open the door to let the flies out and scoops up spiders onto a piece of paper and throws them outside. I actually regretted doing that though with a bat that had got into my house, after I became super stressed not knowing if I should get a rabies shot or not (wasn't bitten, that i know of, but apparently bats can bite and you don't feel it) and there was no way to test the bat I'd let fly away. Sometimes you just gotta do it. Perhaps someone else will do it for you?
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Doggie Wench

The kids got these snails from their science teachers ?? You think they would know better?

These snails are on the list of pests regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and are unapproved for release into the environment. Children should certainly not be permitted to bring them home . http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...tpespare.shtml

I think I'd give the agency a call to see what one is supposed to do in a situation such as this.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Luckypenny, My intention is not to let it go into the wild...I am just trying want to find it a home until its death...not his fault he ended up in Canada...but I will definately talk to the teachers and show them all the info that you and Kristin have given me. As a matter of fact i may take it back to them.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:11 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Luckypenny, My intention is not to let it go into the wild...
I know , I wasn't implying that, just responding to your comment about what some of the other parents might do. If someone does intend on keeping them, they reproduce on their own, having both sex organs...scary thought .
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Luckypenny, I know what you meant...I never thought you were implying that I would do it either...It's just so frustrating. I don't like being put in this position...if the teachers did their homework they would have know...UGH..
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

what about Rays reptile zoo in Ottawa? I know he takes in snakes,reptiles etc. you could try a zoo also that has aquariums, or possibly call where ever the teacher got them, "petstore?" to see if they will take it back for free.....
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
-

Cpietra, did the school take all the snails back or did you call the gov't agency?
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Bunnicula

How the heck does a teacher get in contact with an African Snail! They are illegal in Canada. Read bellow.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicatio...card_phgas.pdf
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info Cretfallen
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Giant African Snail

Hi,if you still need a home for the snail,email me at sherryz@mts.net,I live on the prairies and there is no way these snails could survive our winters in case of an accidental escape,I would dearly love to have one,Thanks Brian
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Do you still have them ?
If yes, I would be pleased to adopt one and not freeze it or release it in any way.
thanks alot
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, Slimy has found his forever home and it is not next to the frozen peas. He will live out the rest of his/her life in a huge huge terrarium with other strange creatures. I will be allowed to visit. This home is opened to the public (on private request) and the owners take the kids around the adventure of a lifetime...so I've heard. I'll keep you guys updated, if interested. I willpost pics as he/she grows her full length.
PS..She/he will never never be relaesed and eggs will be destroyed as to not destroy montreal as we know it...thanks for those who wanted to help.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM

Oh that is great that your Snail hadn't been frozen !
I am from Montreal too! If this house is open to public (with request), I would really like to go and see your Snail ! I am really curious of how big in real it can be.
bonne journée
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM

btw, what happened to the snail that was given to the kids ? Did the teacher got those back?
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately most parents got rid of them..:sadrobably put them outside in the snow...:sad:
BTW Samj11 I will let you know when you can go and visit. This guy apparently is very well known in his community. The scouts, schools and other kids go for visits. He has an amazing home, inside and out....I'll let you know by pm'ing you his number.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM

thanks
i'll wait ... patiently. :P
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Snail

Hi there.
I have been looking for one or more of these snails for nearing 2 years now.
I would LOVE to adopt him. I have a 55 gallon tank, with full spectrium lighting set up and waiting incase I ever found one.
Please contact me at stone@kenora.com. Thank you so much
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Tamer of the Furgang

Isn't that fantastic ? Snail adoption program in a dog/cat forum. (Sorry - but it's too funny. )

I was thinking you could train the snail. Something like that

But seriously now: I hope some kids don't transplant their snails into the wild. They can really cause some damage to the eco system if they're not native to the area.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Giant Snail

Ohh too bad you are in Montreal, I am in Ottawa. Because I would take it right away. I had one like that years ago !!!
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I realize that this thread is a year old, but I just wanted to say that GALS (Giant African Land Snails) are very easy to get a hold of, too easy, actually. They are able to reproduce rapidly, and can hold sperm cells for up to a year or two (so one chance mating will fertilize a snail for a couple of years). Each clutch of eggs can have up to 300-400 eggs. These snails can grow to be very large, and are indeed illegal and invasive. Any teacher giving these guys out is in deep trouble and morally reprehensible.

Anyways, on to a few photos:

Smokey noshing on baby food (pork and apple stew - yes, these guys eat a lot and more than lettuce!).
Reggie and Smokey eating.
Reggie after a bath (notice his size compared to an adult female's hand!).

These guys were only 6 months old
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Molly's mama

wow, interesting thread to dig up!
I worked in a classroom last year in SW Ontario that had a giant African Snail. His name was Patrick! And he lived in a tank in the classroom, and all the kids loved to watch him and feed him. Also a good "prop" for learning about growth and development.
Little did I know that he was illegal and dangerous to the environment if released/ escaped! Not sure where the teacher got him from.
Personally, I'm not sure why someone would want one as a pet!