Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM

Exclamation Hamster not pooping, belly getting big! HELP

My hamster is about 2 1/2 years old. I have noticed over the last month and a half she has gotten very lazy, not wanting to go in her ball, and sleeping tons. She was drinking A LOT of watter... a full bottle every 1 1/2 days and peeing tons. Now she hasn't pooped in over 2 weeks and I have noticed her tummy has gotten quite big, swollen maybe? But when I pick her up it feels hard. Today I also noticed her eyes are all goopy, she can't really open them... looks kind of like sleep in her eyes like humans get but I have never seen her like that before and it has been that way all day.

Any idea of what might be wrong? Is she siffering at all or in pain? Is there anything a vet can do for her? I know she is very old for a hamster, but I don't want her in pain. Can hamsters be put down? Or is there something that can be done? and if they can be put down does it hurt them,? Will she have to get a needle or is it gas? (I am in Canada so not sure if it is different here as well)

Thanks so much!!!!!
Old October 9th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Senior Contributor

If she hasn't pooped in two weeks, her tummy is going to get big and hard. I think you need to take your little critter to the vet.
Old October 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

2 1/2 is rather ancient for a hamster, and it may be her time to go.

Yes, hamsters and other small rodents can be euthanized, but it's normally done with a heart stick. I would request that first the animal be anesthetized with gas.

She is probably suffering, so I suggest you do get her put down.
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Just out of curiousity - what's a heart stick? I have a female hamster myself so I'd like to know.

Sorry about your hammy's illness, but if she's in pain then it might be better for her to be put down. Females usually live for about two years, and males for three years. be glad she's survived long!
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
what's a heart stick
Animals this size cannot be euthanized by a needle in the vein, so the needle is inserted directly into the heart.
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM

update

I have gone through her entire cage and I have actually found poops. Not many poops but some!!!! She went in her ball for a bit through the night, and on her wheel for a couple spins, she has made a new bed in the corner of her cage as she can't fit through the tubing into her normal bed. She still eats and drinks fine although I notice she is only eating sunflower and pumpkin seeds out of her mix.

I just can't seem to think she is in pain when she is still moving about and everything you kow!? I have a vet appt. for monday morning but I just don't want her put down for no reason, if she's not in pain.

Do you think she's walk about, eat and drink if she was in pain?
Old October 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM

You shouldn't be having to go through her cage to find poops. If she was okay then they would be obvious to the eye. Please remember that she is an old hamster, and that no amount of clinging onto hope is going to make this go away. Get her to the vet as soon as possible
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I know she is old and what not... and I am bringing her to the vet as soon as possible which is monday as they don't see hamsters as an emergency. I have given her some celery with vegetable oil on it that she ate... to help if it is simply constipation. (I read on the internet vegetable oil and green veggies help)
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Sunandluve,Whatever ails your little hamster,I am happy to hear you care so much...unlike another hamster-owner we had here a while back!
Good luck to you and your little girl-hamster
Old October 9th, 2004, 09:23 PM

:-)

Thank you!

I am happy to say she went poop 5 times today Gee.... never thought I'd be saying that lol! Seems the celery and vegetable oil seems to be helping. She is also currently walking around my lap! I have no problem with her passing, or even putting her down if she needs it, I simply don't want her in pain. But I'm confident now that she isn't as I really feel she wouldn't be active and what not if she was hurting!

She definitely hates her new bed in the corner of the cage though, she tosses and turns as she sleeps Hopefully she'll loose a little of that tummy now and be able to fit into her tubes again lol!
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:59 AM

I'm really glad that your hammy's pooping again
My hamster, Lexie, got a little rash on her belly a while back and I was worried. Thankfully it has gone now.
If her tummy goes down, it probably is a cause of constipation, if not then you might as well get her checked out at the vets anyway
Good luck!