Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 30th, 2007, 07:47 PM

I think she's pregnant

I don't know if any of you remember me but I used to post here a lot. I've since had a baby and don't get much time on the computer. I have five cats and two dogs, and one male stray cat that lives outside. I can't bring him in or my husband will divorce me, but I've had him neutered and built him a nice shelter under my back porch. Right now he's fatter than the guys that live in the house. Anyway, that's another story.

There is another female stray that was hanging around in the fall quite a bit. I suspected she wasn't spayed and was trying to get her used to me so I could catch her and have her fixed before she got pregnant. Then I didn't see her for about a month. She showed up again last night and is very definitely pregnant but won't let me anywhere near her. I don't know what to do. I tried to put food out in a cage but she didn't go near it. I'm not sure about renting one of those humane traps, I have a very small car and a car seat in the back so even if I was able to trap her I don't think one of those traps would fit. What should I do? She's going to give birth any day and I'm worried that the kittens will die in this cold. I intend to get her fixed but I'm worried that in doing so I may be leaving her kittens somewhere without her and they will die. It's going to take some time for me to win her trust enough so that I can get her into a cage. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome back! Is there a rescue group you could make arrangements with? If you could get a trap and them have them come get her?? not sure if they would?? it has to be better than her having those babies in the cold?? The problem is you wont know when or where she is going to have them??

That poor thing! It makes me so angry that people dont fix their pets and now look at the hardship she is going to endure!! I dont know when people will get it!! I am sure some others will have some better suggestions! I wish you luck! thanks for caring so much!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks Cindy! I have called all the rescue groups in the area and none are taking new animals, they're overloaded as it is. I don't mind feeding her and I'll even build another shelter but I just don't know what to do about the kittens. I don't think I have enough time to snag her before she gives birth and then I won't know where the kittens are because she'll likely hide them. I saw her sneaking off towards our garage last night so I went in there this morning and there was no sign of her. I hate this, I wish there was more I could do I just don't know what. Poor little thing. She also looks like her ears have been frostbitten or something, they're kind of thick and red looking. I got close enough to her in the fall to give her a dose of Revolution in case it was ear mites, but her ears still look the same, that's why I think it may be frostbite. I'm sure she lives in one of the barns up the road; I wish the people who live there would do something about all the stray cats. Don't they realize that if they have them all fixed then they won't have a cat overpopulation anymore?
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM
-

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. But it's so weird that you post now , Mahealani770
was looking for you this week !

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46624
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's

If you can catch her and we can arrange transport I have a friend who had to put her 20 yr. old cat to sleep and is looking to adopt 'some needy orphan' - her quote. Please let me know what we can arrange.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

What a frustrating situation. I would make a cosy bed for her in the garage - some kind of closed box, maybe throw in a little catnip - and provide regular food and water, and then just hope she chooses to give birth there. When the opportunity presented itself, you could shut her in, then go from there. At least it would buy you some more time.
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM

Wow, thanks for that offer! I will certainly try and catch her. If I know she's got a home to go to I don't mind bringing her into my house for a couple of weeks and socializing and litter training her. Where exactly does your friend live? I don't mind driving a few hours to get this cat a home. I also have a neutered male who is ready to be adopted (he's the one living in the shelter under my porch) if anyone knows of anyone. Would your friend like 2 cats?
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM

Ooops, I hit post before I was done. Frenchy, do you remember where Mahealani770 was looking for me, like what post or forum? I'll send her a PM.
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM

Giggle, you can tell I haven't been on the computer for a few months, I just saw the link.
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's

That would be great if you could catch her. My friend Peggy is missing her cat very much and is looking for a needy rescue. She has lots of experience with felines and has asked me to keep my eyes open if I hear of any cats in immediate distress. Can you tell me something about her - colour, approx age? Once you have her in the house we can work on the transportation, thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:16 AM
-

Looking forward to a happy ending.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM

She's all white and quite small. I have no idea how old she is but I suspect her ears have been frostbitten in a previous winter so she's at least a year old. I haven't seen her since the day before yesterday :sad: It probably means she's off somewhere having her kittens. I'll have to see next time she comes around. If she's had the kittnes then I can't trap her and bring her in or the kittens will die somewhere, but if she hasn't had them I'll try and get her into a cage and into the house. Either way she won't be ready to adopt out until the kittens are old enough; so a couple of months at least. I don't know if she's willing to wait that long?

If your friend is interested I have a tabby and white male living in a shelter under my house. He's neutered and has all his shots and I've been trying to find him a home for over a year. He showed up on my doorstep last November with a gaping hole in the side of his face that was gushing blood. I rushed him to the vet and he had 3 abscessed teeth that had to be removed and he's been under my back porch ever since. The vet estimated that he's 3 years old or so and he's a big mush. He's very affectionate and is ready to be placed in a home any time, so if your friend is interested in him instead let me know. His markings are quite pretty and he's got green eyes. I have to head to work now but when I have some time this week I'll post some pictures of him.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's

Thanks for the update. Peggy is really excited about the pregnant stray and we should strike while the iron is hot - the sooner the better she gets to mother this little girl the more avantageous for both. She will be on the look-out for another pregnant (very needy) cat if yours isn't available. Let me know, thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM

Well, I've got her in the house now. I fed her tonight and she was quite friendly so I just picked her up and brought her in. She buried her head in the crook of my arm as I carried her upstairs. She's been someone's cat before for sure because she's awfully affectionate. It's weird because she hasn't been this way in the past. Does your friend want her pregnant? I just assumed that she'd want her after the kittens were born, but in that case she'd have to wait until the kittens were weaned so it would be a couple of months. Why is it that she wants a pregnant cat in particular? It's great that she wants to mother this little kitty, but what about the kittens?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:18 AM

Wow that was quick great job!

Any chance she's very close to having the kittens & that's why she let you bring her in? Natural mother survival to find a safe place for the kittens?

I also was wondering the same thing sounds a little eager to have the pregnant cat not just a cat sorry if I'm stepping on toes I mean no disrespect to the lady

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:36 AM

No worries Growler, I was thinking the same thing. It may be legit, but I'm not going to adopt out a pregnant cat without knowing what her plans are for the kittens. I figure if this lady really wants to help out a needy cat she'd be willing to wait until the kittens are weaned. Also makes me wonder why she wouldn't want the other very needy male cat I have living outside in sub-zero temperatures right now.

Yes, she is very close to giving birth. In fact I've never seen a pregnant cat who looked so big. I was actually surprised to not find kittens in my computer room this morning. I've set her up with a box filled with newspaper and a blanket. I'll also be calling the vet this morning to see if they can help me out. She can have her kittens here but once they're weaned I'm hoping the vet can help me find them (and her) homes. She's a lovely little soul; very affectionate. She was obviously someone's cat before and got lost or dumped. Anyway, this will be the last litter of kittens she ever has because she'll be spayed as soon as the vet will do it. I'll keep you updated.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's

Hi guys, understand your concerns. Peggy had a cat for 20 years and is really suffering from 'empty nest syndrome'. She would probably keep all the kittens as she's extremely maternal and in her younger days worked with CAS fostering handicapped children. She's in her early 60's, retired but does volunteer at the local hospital and delivers 'meals on wheels'. A needy animal to help her with the mourning process and give her some joy back into her life. She has been quite down since loosing Patches. I would never refer this lady if I thought there was something unsavoury about her request, as you know I'm very vigilant about who adopts my rescue/foster dogs and any animal would benefit from being adopted by her.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's

A quick update: Peggy has put her name in at the shelter and she will be fostering a pregnant kitten (8 mos old) that she can pick-up tommorrow. They checked with her vet who gave a great reference and she had to full-out a form. Good luck with the little white cat.
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks, and sorry for being doubtful. You just never know these days, there are some real sickos out there that's why I'm really careful about who I give strays to. I hope your friend enjoys the little cat she got at the shelter!

I have an update about the little white cat. I took her to the vet last night figuring she was about to give birth any second. The vet thought so too so she decided to do a c-section right away and spay her at the same time. I was going to raise the kittens until 8 weeks or so and then the vet would put them up for adoption at her clinic. When she opened her up she found that she was indeed pregnant but it was a very early pregnancy; the fatness of the little cat was due to the worst worm infestation the vet has ever seen. Poor thing. Anyway, I am a bit relieved that there will be no kittens but I still don't know what I'm going to do with her. I'll keep her in the house for a while until the fur on her belly grows back and then I guess I'll build her a shelter under the back porch to go along with the other one I already have there. My friend says that I should just build a row of kitty townhouses under there. I don't think my DH is too impressed, he likes animals but he never had pets growing up so he doesn't understand my need to take care of every one that comes along. Well, at least she's spayed now and I'll feed her along with Maurice the other stray I have out there. If anyone wants a sweet little kitty let me know. Now I just have to snag the other male cat I've seen once or twice and have him fixed, then I'll be happy
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Could the vet not opt to help you try to adopt her out? Since they would be willing to take on the kitties maybe they could offer her a temporary home until they can find her a forever home? How were her ears? did it tun out to be frostbite?

Thank you for saving this little one! Maybe some ppeople here will have some suggestions on a home for her?

Good Luck

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Fantastic job with the little baby!!! I cry when I read these stories as I am sure many of us do. I keep thinking one more wouldn't hurt, one more wouldn't hurt............
I have my and toes too and pray the vet will take her in and find her a loving home. I for her and all the other ones on this site with no home. You are doing a wonderful thing for her. I am glad you brought her in. You are an Keep up the good work!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Thanks! The problem is that the vet has limited space and she already has several adult cats waiting to be adopted. She was willing to take the kittens because, sadly, kittens seem to adopt out much more quickly. I went and picked her up today and she had a bit of a fever and hadn't eaten or drank yet today. She seems better now and although she still hasn't eaten she did drink a bit. I mixed some Whiskas Catmilk with water and she really liked it.

On my way home from the vet this morning I stopped at the barn where I keep my horse. I had to drop of my board cheque and I told the lady who owns the barn about this little white kitty. She said I could bring her up to the barn if I'd like and she could be a barn cat. I'd prefer to find her a warm home, but this lady does take good care of her barn cats. They get fed every day and the barn is heated. It's an option anyway. I doubt if she'd do well under my back porch because she's afraid of Maurice the other stray.

Yes, it was frostbite on her ears. The vet said it should heal alright but that her ears will never look normal, they'll always be pink and furless leaving her prone to more frostbite which is why I'd prefer her to be in a heated barn than under my porch. Still, she's such a dear little thing, so sweet and affectionate, that it makes me sad for her not to be someone's lap cat. :sad: I wish I could keep her, but we already have too many and DH says that if I want another baby we can't get any more pets.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Talking

Bless my vet! I found a beautiful big dog I could not keep. They took her,trrained her and found her a home. It took awhile but she's happy as a clam!
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM

That's nice that your vet did that. The little kitty is doing much better now although she still has the splats quite badly. I guess it's to be expected since she was so full of worms; it will take her system a few days to get back to normal. She's been eating and drinking and got up a few minutes ago to come over for a pat so I think she'll be fine.
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's

Lucky little cat to have found you and what a blessing in disguise that there are no kittens. Peggy's little foster was dumped at the shelter because she was pregnant - and whose fault was that? Stupid owners! Anyway her name is Tiger, she's a brown short haired tabby with the skinniest little rat tail, the largest green eyes and the sweetest personality. A cesarian might be necessary for her too due to her age, she has about 1-2 weeks to go before the babies arrive. At 8 mos. and being tiny I don't imagine she'll deliver very many kittens (hope not).
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
-

Oh that poor cat :sad: thanks for taking such good care of her ! I'm glad she won't have the kittens , that would have been too much stress on her , and would have added more kitties to this overcrowded world ... good luck with her and finding her a new family !
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I think she's

Forgot to mention: Peggy was looking for an 'unwed mother' lol cat whom she considers the most needy animals of all or am sure she would have adopted your outside male.