Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 10th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm a softy

Anyone heard of BG pet food???

I went to get some more dog food today, went to pet value, and I don't usually because they do not carry orijen, they do have wellness though, anyway the only store in town that have orijen and innova has taken to selling rodents and bunnies, SOooOOO... Anyway I was looking at pet foods and found this new food called BG or Before Grain, it is by Merrick, the ingredients seem very good for the price! $20 for 7 pounds. first 5 are deboned chicken, chicken meal, dehydrated potato, turkey meal, canola oil, turkey, also has liver, salmon, This food also comes in a salmon food, this one is chicken.

Anyway they also have cat food, 100% tuna, 100% chicken, 100% salmon, they have canned dog food I picked up a large can of 100% tripe for $3.00.

Wondered if anyone has heard and what they think, I grabbed a bag, my cats eat wellness but my dogs cannot anymore they puke, and I wont be getting orijen anymore that is sad but i am not going back there while they have animals, So I am going to switch and try this and see what happens, at this price anyone could afford to feed their dogs good food!!!

Let me know what you think!
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I'm a softy

oh and it goes on and on on the bag about having acai berries.. not sure there is actually any in the bag.. or much anyway but that is a good thing, it has a nice range of veggies down on the list, not many but sweet potato, blueberry, and acai berry are on the list.
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I just moved closer to a Pet Valu and I'm thinking of trying Rupert on BG. It looks like a good food to me....let me know how it works for you!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The BG cat food is not nutritionally complete, it is for treats only (check the label). My cats didn't really like it, they prefer Almo, which is expensive and also not 100% nutritionally complete.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm a softy

I just looked at the cans, but the dog food is complete and looks pretty good. I have to make a choice for something, I will no longer be able to get orijen, only one store has it, and now they have animals I walked out and I wont go back, this store doesn;t have it, and the other store doesn't have high quality foods, pro plan and stuff like that is what they have... so.... But my dogs like it, I got a can of tripe, the ingredients are only tripe and water, I like it!
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

IMO it is a decent food at a decent price. The only thing that would concern me about BG is that the dehyrdated potato is third on the list. Grain free does not mean carb free. On their website, they don't have a full analysis panel, so I can't see what percentage of carbs it has. You'd also want to check the ash content. You want a fairly low ash content.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Kitty pimp

the kibble for cats is great!!11 and i feed them some of the canned too for extra protein even du who usually has a prob with dry has no issues

great stuff for treats and nibbles onlt caveat is that the canned is very very rich and kits might urp if they eat to much
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:48 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
I just looked at the cans, but the dog food is complete and looks pretty good. I have to make a choice for something, I will no longer be able to get orijen, only one store has it, and now they have animals I walked out and I wont go back, this store doesn;t have it, and the other store doesn't have high quality foods, pro plan and stuff like that is what they have... so.... But my dogs like it, I got a can of tripe, the ingredients are only tripe and water, I like it!
The Before Grains canned tripe is NOT 100% green tripe ......it is part green tripe and part blanched tripe. :sad:

Also, the BG canned dog food is not nutritionally complete & balanced and is for supplemental feeding only.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm a softy

I meant about the cat food, and the dog food is not bad compared to what I have to choose form now that the only store that carries good food has animals. Yes I know the canned is not perfect or complete, but I just put it as a topper on dog food in a pinch, I suppliment with raw, but have cans for days we eat out, or not around, or travelling.. ect.. so it is not often I use the cans, but is happens, and it is better than many others.
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Kitty pimp

hwat i like is no grain iswitch between well ness and bg they get bored
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm a softy

thanks Jim, that is what I like too! My lab has bad allergies, she cannot have any grain, and she is fine on this, in fact her coat has improved a bit, usually her hair feels crispy, and now it is pretty silky!

Glad I found the BG, I cannot buy from a store that has resorted to selling animals, no way no how. Being in such a small city, I don't have much for choice, there is a store that sells puppies and kittens too, I have never been in there so I have no idea what they sell there.......... Or a grocery store, and I wont buy dog food there either!

Anyone been to superstore, and noticed the picture on the no name dog food? it is a blue bag I believe, it has a picture of wheat, a corn cob, and white rice, and like 2 squares of red meat... I saw that and I was like whoooaa... there they are admitting in plain view what makes up that food and proud of it? yikes! PEOPLE seeing this stuff is what makes people think it is perfectly fine to feed your animals that garbage. I have tried to educate my friends and all they say is.. "well he LIKES it, and he is doing well on it!"...uhm.. yeah and he is a year old.... lets talk again in 10 years..
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Before Grain dog food is made by Merrick, and is an EXCELLENT food. It has higher protein content which can be really good for most dogs.

I have many customers in the store I work at that buy it and have excellent reviews.
The wet food for dog and cats is interchangable which is nice, you have different varieties and can sizes.
The acai berries in the food is a great addition to the blueberries, it does wonders for the digestive track.
They also make the dry BG food in Buffalo, which is a really neat protein source if you are looking for something different, just don't feed in excess, it tends to be very fatty. I hope this food works out for you!
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM

The first listed ingredient, deboned chicken, when dehydrated in the manufacturing process, is substantially reduced in weight, so the largest two ingredients are chicken meal and "potato dehydrated".

I would be leery of such a high potato content (this is a frequent characteristic of lower-end grain-free kibbles). Potatoes are deficient in the essential amino acid methionine, and as a result their available protein content is low - around 2 or 3 percent. They also have a high glycemic index.

Potatoes are no more a natural food for dogs than grains are, so unless your dog is known to have a specific grain allergy, there's no big advantage to feeding potato in place of grain. In fact, good quality whole grains are much higher in protein than potato.
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'm a softy

yup, my dog has a grain allergy.

Given the choices I now have. Either get my orijen, or innova, or wellness at a store that is now selling animals..

Or pick the best food I can find at the other store. My choices are very limited. There is another pet store too, that sells dogs and cats, I WILL NOT be going there... There is a lot of meat in the food. And potato as a carb is better than any grain. ingredients from bag are:

Deboned chicken
chicken Meal
dehydrated potato
turkey meal
canola oil
sweet potato
Dehydrated chicken liver

ect

So the second ingredient is chicken meal, without water weight. The meat totale far out weigh the potato in this food. Potato and sweet potato are not as bad as grains, as a sorce of carbs, a far better choice. Chicken meal still out weighs the potato plus the deboned chicke, plus the other meats.. it is pretty good. For protein it is 32.0%, fairly high.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
-

The ingredients are not bad .....the only thing that would concern me is that Merrick (the manufacturers of BG) also own a rendering plant nearby:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64211
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
And potato as a carb is better than any grain. ingredients from bag are:

Deboned chicken
chicken Meal
dehydrated potato
turkey meal
canola oil
sweet potato
Dehydrated chicken liver

ect

So the second ingredient is chicken meal, without water weight. The meat totale far out weigh the potato in this food. Potato and sweet potato are not as bad as grains, as a sorce of carbs, a far better choice. Chicken meal still out weighs the potato plus the deboned chicke, plus the other meats.. it is pretty good. For protein it is 32.0%, fairly high.
Quote:
The first two ingredients in this food are named meat products, as is the fourth. The latter two of these are meat meal ingredients. The first is, however, inclusive of water content. Once this is removed, as it must be to create a dry food product, the ingredient will weigh around 20% of its wet weight, and may be more accurately placed further down the ingredient list than indicated. - Source
If your dog has grain allergies, then feeding a kibble high in vegetable content makes sense. This particular kibble meets your needs.

I don't agree with your statement that potato is a better source of "carbs" than grains. Carbs are just starch and sugar; they are present in both potato and grains. Nutritionally, however, good quality whole grains like barley, wheat, oats, and rye contain a higher protein-to-carb ratio than potato. If allergies were not a factor, grains would be preferential to potato.