Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 5th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Help please, Pee Problem

I have had Bentley home for a week now. He is a nearly 9 week old Beagle pup. I took time off work to help introduce him to his new home. I have been taking him out every 45 minutes and after every nap and feed. He has been really good, no accidents in the house.... until today.

After he finished his dinner he started running in to living room. I followed so i could pick him up to go outside; by the time I got to him he was already squatting and peeing on the rug. I said no and picked him up and out we went. He finished his pee outside and started playing. So in we came, he promptly ran straight back into the living room and peed on the rug again....so out we went again, but all he wanted to do was play. So after a few minutes we came back in and he went and peed on the rug AGAIN, this little game happened 6 times???? Is he testing me or is something wrong?

We are in the process of changing his food, would this have an effect?

Ready for any advice.
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Just as you wouldn't expect a 1yr old human baby to hold it, neither can a little 9 week old puppy! Between the time he feels the "urge" and the time he goes, it's about 2 seconds and puppies that age can go 10 - 15 times a day.

He is not "testing" you and nothing is wrong. He's a little baby with a tiny little bladder, that's all.

If he is peeing in the house, take a newspaper, roll it up and hit yourself on the head with it, cause it's your fault!

Do not let him run anywhere in the house after eating, after drinking, playing or sleeping. Pick him up immediately and take him outside. Don't even let his feet touch the floor.

AFTER he pees a few times outside (for which you will praise him so profusely your neighbours will think you are bizarre) THEN he can have a little playtime of about 15 minutes in the house. Stay out long enough so that he empties his bladder and bowels.

Indoors he needs to be confined to a crate or puppy playpen when you can't watch him. Each time he pees on the floor this behavior is reinforced just because it feels good!

The fact that he is a beagle doesn't help as hounds can be harder to housetrain than some other breeds. Don't expect perfection for at least 6 months, or up to a year.

Here's a little article on housetraining very young puppies. Hope it helps!
Puppies
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

When we got Cano at 4 months, I needed to take him out every half an hour, or he would pee. He is 9 months now, and he still can pee alot!! Don't worry, he is still very young, and will learn within time.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Thank you LuckyRescue. I have read the links and we are doing what is suggested. Today has just been really bad, Bentley has been exceptionally hyper for some reason and I am guessing this is what is causing the constant peeing.

We are still trying to get him to enjoy his confinement area, when we put him in there, he screams, howls, whimpers for what feels like ages. So after all these mis-haps and the hyperness, we put him in his "room". This calmed him down (after the initial scream session) and things have been a bit better.

He is on some meds for parasites, could this be making him super hyper?
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:58 PM
banned user

Hyper

Na hes just being a typical puppy...when puppys are awake they are little energy balls..they go and go and go and then drop to sleep for hours on end.

Give him lots of exercise inside and out and let him work out some of that energy...The deworming meds wouldnt make him hyper

He will learn to enjoy his "home" just let him whine and whimper and carry on..if you pay any attention to it,he will soon realize that all the noise he can make will get him attention and it will escalate..Just make sure his home is cozy with some toys he can play with...

Hannah is 3 months old now and loves her crate...but it took time and your puppers will enjoy his home too
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Think of how hyper a 3 or 4 year old child can be! That is the stage the puppy is at right now. At three or four, a child still has some accidents, and loves causing trouble. It is just a phase, and will be over before you know it.