Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 12th, 2004, 04:04 PM

CHihuahua or Bulldog,part 2

Whoa....people,this thread is getting outta hand.I am sorry I havent been back on in awhile but my internet wasn't working for some reason or other.
But please let me correct myself.I was looking for a bullg and I thought it was an american bulldog.But it is actually an english bulldog.
I do enoy walking outside,whether it is cold or hot.I did not have a baby because I wanted to better my relationship.My daughter wasn't planned,but she is a joy.I didn't get married for those reasons either.I would love to adopt a dog because I would really enjoy having a dog in my home.Like look at what I am doing now,since I still haven't found the right dog,I am asking people in my neighboorhood if they would like me to walk their dog,or even watch their dog while they are away just so I could enjoy being around a dog until I find my own.It's not a rush because it is christmas.I could wait months before I find a dog to at.I would just prefer sooner rather than later.The reason I posted my add near christmas is because I just found this website a few weeks ago.

I am adding once again that I am sorry I was off for so long.
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

You don't seem to know much about bulldogs, and that is NOT an insult. No one knows all about every breed. What do you like about English Bulldogs?

I can only suggest you do a lot more research before getting a dog. English Bulldogs are prone to having a host of health problems, and are not very good companions for long walks as they are extremely heat intolerant. And they are still very very different from chihuahuas, which are not recommended for families with small children due to their fragility and defensiveness if they feel threatened. And of course, they are very COLD intolerant and are not winter walking companions at all.

Quote:
My daughter wasn't planned,but she is a joy.
That's wonderful, but your daughter is not likely to end up in a shelter if she wrecks your furniture or pees on the floor or cries all night!

Your idea of taking someone's dog while they vacation is a good one.

Another good idea is to offer to foster for a rescue. This way you will get an idea of the obligations and responsibility of owning a dog, without making a 10-15 year committment.
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:38 AM

I have an English Bulldog (10 mnths old). They are a handfull, they do get sick, and they have a really hard time in extreme weather (over about 70degrees, and snowy weather) they just can't regulate their temps all that well. We have to carry an "emergency diaper bag" around everywhere we go. It has Sprite in it (if they get too warm they form a mucous plug in their throat, that blocks their airway, Sprite can temporarily relieve it until we get him to a vet), it has disposable icepacks, it has his "itchy cream" for his hotspots/rashs he gets frequently, it has his "colitis" pills for when his tummy really acts up (good news, since we started with new diet he's only needed the pills once!!), in the summer his Soaker Jacket, in winter his winter coat and Mutluks (his paws are VERY sensitive to cold), we also have a water bottle that he's learned to drink from (VERY cute) because they get dehydrated quickly.... Also we have a harness instead of a collar, due to their soft throats as pups (we'll probably switch when he's between 1 and 2).
Sheriff is also VERY stubborn, hates anytime of changes (took him 2 days to eat off a "new" food mat!!LOL), loves to play, play, play (about 15-20 minutes worth of energy... then nap for an hour!!)
If all this hasn't turned you off..... in his first 5mnths with us we spent over $1200 in Vet bills for common "Bully ailments", and his first bout with Colitis (VERY SCARY). He farts like a stinky old man, burps, snores, "gurgles" and grunts almost always (at least doing one)!!
If this still hasn't turned you off..... He is a loving, affectionate, sweet, funny, cuddle-monster, who loves bum-scratches and tummy-rubs. He gives kisses by ramming his head into your face (I think because he sees us putting our faces on him, it is so funny!) he greets you at the door (when he decides not to just wait for you on the couch!!) with wiggle-bum, and "gentle" (our word for licks). It's like he has never before been so happy..... everytime you come home!
English Bulldogs are a HUGE job, and financially expensive, but in our case well worth every second of worry and every penny we've spent.
There are very few English Bully rescues in Canada, or the States (although Florida seems to have a lot???). It is very hard to get a rescue (we've been on the list for 2yrs, and the only dog that has come up in Ontario is George (Mastifflover). If you decide to buy from a breeder, make SURE they are reputable and responsible, and have done all the genetic testing, and that the parents and grandparents are champions, and have no serious health risks. If you get one from a Petstore or Puppymill or BYB you are asking for a world of financial problems. English Bulldogs have enough "typical" problems (cherry eye, closed nostrils, inverted eyelashes etc) to keep you at the Vets office, without throwing all the bad breeding issues into the mix as well!!!
If you want any other info please feel free to PM me. Goodluck with your search!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

"He farts like a stinky old man, burps, snores, "gurgles" and grunts almost always (at least doing one)!!"

I just got a visual of that! LMAO!!!!!!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

"He farts like a stinky old man, burps, snores, "gurgles" and grunts almost always (at least doing one)!!"

This is part of the reason why I traded in my truck for an extended cab...more room to circulate air!

I always wanted a bulldog, but I think you talked me out of it. Not that it was going to happen for at least another ten years. I don't think I'd want to take on the financial burden, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Is there a type of bulldog that is just huge, kind of like the cartoon version? (Spike, from the Bugs Bunny cartoons). I know the American Bulldog is large, but he doesn't have the same resemblance of the body of the English Bulldog.
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:07 AM
banned user

Isn't Spike from Tom and Jerry?
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:31 AM

There are numerous types of Bulldogs, some you have to be extra careful with due to health issues (Frenchie, English etc...) others you have to be very wary of (Mini-Eng Bulldogs) as they are more of a fad-breed. Some are more "hearty" I belive the Old English and the American, and I think also the Valley (cross between a boxer and a Bulldog.... fad-breed I think, but there are a few of those around for rescue). I haven't heard a lot yet about the Victorian......
Pitbulls are also a very close "cousin" of the Bulldogs.
I didn't mean to turn anyone off.... just give some food for thought. Aside from the expense of just buying one (pet from a responsible/reputable breeder is between 3-5 thousand!!), and the Vet expenses, and a little extra care (heat/cold etcc) They are a great family dog, they LOVE people, they tend to be cuddlers, and are very affectionate. They also have that super-cute "bum-wiggle". It is super funny to watch. They run like little doe's and Sheriff is usually walking around with his tounge stuck out (just the tip).
Oh I forgot to mention in the sounds and smells department... they also DROOL. Sheriff is forever walking around with drool hanging out both sides of his mouth, and when he shakes his head.... watch out (ever seen Turner and Hooch!!!LOL). He is an AWSOME dog, and I wouldn't trade him for the world, but I was trying to paint an accurate picture of the problems, and expenses also!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2006
Isn't Spike from Tom and Jerry?
No, you know the one where the little dog, Chester, jumps over the big dog, "Hey Spike! Wanna go behind the butcher shop, see what they got? Huh? Huh? Do ya, Spike?" Then Spike says, "Naaaw!" and slaps Chester away, and Chester comes back and says, "Hey Spike! Wanna go beat up some cats, Spike? Huh, Spike? Do ya?" And Spike gets excited and he goes after Sylvestor, and the kangaroo is in the box, but Spike thinks it's Sylvestor beating him up, so he finally becomes terrified of him, then Chester sees Sylvestor, beats him up and becomes Spike's hero, and it's Chester who starts slapping Spike?

Uh...I just let you guys a lot further into my world than I should have, didn't I?
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Roflmao!!!!! :d
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Schwinn,you have issues....LMAO

As for the Old English Bulldogge,they are a recognized breed to the CKC.They do have the Boxer/Bulldog face.They are a beautiful dog.They can range from anywhere from 60-100lbs.I had the chance to meet and interact with a Champion at one of the Dog Shows.His name is Tyson.Such a beautiful,loving dog....
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM

I know Boxerrescue has a post for one "Neko" an Old English Bulldogge. He is sooo cute, we just don't live close enough. I think it is a posting for another rescue that Boxerrescue has generously agreed to put on their site!
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Valleys are also very sweet and not as many health problems as the English (still the cutest of the bullys) but each breed has their own problems so you have to do research into each one. Actually they are not a fad and have been around for awhile I thought the same thing there are some breeders in Nova Scotia you could check there sites for more info on them.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the update Mastiff!! I had heard through 1 rescue that the Valley's were considered a fad-breed..... I guess not. I stand corrected. I know quite a lot about the English, a little about the Frenchie, and even less about the other breeds. So please take what I have to say about the Valley, Victorian, Ambull etc... as just what I've heard, not what I know for a fact!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I found this--

Bulldog Breeds

Still looking for "Spike"
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Maybe A Mix

Hi!

Maybe a medium to low energy/maintenance child oriented dog would be best. I volunteer at the Mtl. SPCA & I`ve noticed that most of the strays are mixs of Husky, Lab, Golden, Rott & German Shephard. A Golden/Lab mix would probably be best. It depends on how much time, energy, & commitement you can offer. Whether you have a backyard is also a factor but def fostering &/or dog-sitting are great ways to sample diff breeds.

If you`re still interested in Bullis then check out www.bulldogsworld.com

Good Luck
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Maybe a medium to low energy/
Huskies, Labs, Goldens and GSDs are not in the low to medium energy range. Depends on the individual dog of course, but a low energy Husky would be very unusual, and having too much energy is the reason most of them are dumped.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Yeah, Schwinn! Shoulda known you're a Bugs Bunny fan! Spike is in the toons when they speak with an American accent. When they're talking with a British accent, his name is Alf. I don't know that he actually exists, though. Maybe a Bullmastiff? Or maybe he just looks bigger in the cartoons because Chester is such a little guy? I think Chester is a supposed to be a JRT, so maybe work up from there.

I think fostering would be an excellent idea for you Destine! I also think you should reconsider your choice in breeds. Adopt one of the more "robust" mixed breeds from a shelter. They are very well-suited to family life!
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Yeah, Schwinn! Shoulda known you're a Bugs Bunny fan! Spike is in the toons when they speak with an American accent. When they're talking with a British accent, his name is Alf. I don't know that he actually exists, though. Maybe a Bullmastiff? Or maybe he just looks bigger in the cartoons because Chester is such a little guy? I think Chester is a supposed to be a JRT, so maybe work up from there.
Yea, sometimes cartoons do exagerate, as I've learned the hard way. (For example, anvils don't clang when you drop them on someone's head, and I'm not even going to get into the "Maybe I can get him to spin" incident in the Tazmanian devil display at the Toronto Metro Zoo)
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Hey Schwinn.... let us know when you take to the stage.... would love to see you do stand up comedy!!
ROFLMAO!!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:38 PM
banned user

This is the Spike I was talking about... I don't recall the one from Bugs Bunny.
http://www.netbandit.com/tomandjerry/main.html
By the way... who the heck is Chester? :love:
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:45 AM

Just my 2 cents

I know that the price is usually the reason you won`t want one of these( that and the fact that they are so very hard to find) but this is my dogue, (TURNER AND HOOCH DOG LOL). She doesn`t have any medical conditions and is a great family pet, however, she is not what I would recommend for a first time dog owner.
If you like that "compact but beefy look" take a look at my baby and let me know what you think of her.( Yes I know, I am a very proud mommy but how can you not love a face like this?)
Old December 15th, 2004, 06:46 AM
The Rat Terrier

Hey Destine!

I got my first dog a month ago. We got him at 8.5 weeks and drove 5 hours to get him.

When we first decided that now was the time to get a dog we each had a favourite breed. Jeff LOVES boxers and I love Golden Retrievers, Labs and Pits. We ended up spending a couple weeks researching different breeds. What we did was make a list of qualities we hoped for.
  • We knew we wanted a puppy because I had never even HELD a puppy.
  • We live in an apartment so we needed a good apartment dog.
  • Must be excellent with children
  • Must be excellent with other pets
  • We wanted a social dog who enjoys other people & dogs
  • We wanted an energetic dog who we could take on long walks... but not a dog that needs
  • No long fur!
  • Cost
  • We prefered a dog who was known for being intelligent.
  • We were trying to find a smaller sized dog that could play with big dogs.
  • It was important to have a dog known for being very loving & affectionate.
  • I really wanted a dog that was going to be trainable.

After going through lists and lists of breeds and ruling TONS of them out we were left with a handful. We reseached those breeds and found some medical problems, or other things that made us decide not to get them. The only breed that passed all of our tests was a Rat Terrier. I did not really like the pictures of them and hated that name... but I wasnt' going to not get a Rat Terrier for those reasons.

Anyways I am so glad we did so much research because now we have a dog that will more likely than not be perfect for our live style and our personalities. We ended up having to drive 5 hours from Toronto to the United States because there are no Rat Terrier breeders in Ontario that we could find. Now we have a dog that makes everyone look at us like we are nuts when we tell them what he is.

I would really recommend looking at all the different breeds from scratch and making sure you find the perfect dog for you. :love:
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's the whole cartoon I was talking about--
Spike vs. Sylvestor

And I'm not going to mention the comedy club thing. Last time I did, my "friend" convinced me to call this morning show about an issue I had with "stalking" myself...I was SURE that tape was going to re-surface at my wedding. But instead, they were too busy getting me to break-dance (to the delight of my new in-laws, and horror of my new wife)

Oh, and Dougelover, I love your pooch! I think they are great dogs! And he's a good looking fella!

Last edited by Schwinn; December 15th, 2004 at 11:26 AM. Reason: 'Cause I'm a dumbass
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

ROTFLMFAO

Schwinn,you have just way to much time on your hands....

Hard to tell,but I would say Spike is of a hound breed.Beagle maybe?
Old December 15th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Hard to tell,but I would say Spike is of a hound breed.Beagle maybe?
Nope, that's Chester. The one in the red shirt is Spike. He looks related to the Spike from Tom & Jerry.

Oh, and I got it wrong. That's the episode where there's an escaped panther that beats up Spike.
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Ooops,my bad..................LOL
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

No problem. As my wife has pointed out, not everyone has the extensive knowledge of cartoons that I do. It's wierd, though. She seems to point it out like it's a bad thing?
Old December 16th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Cartoon Dogs

What kind of dog is K9? I want one like that...flag on the tail and all!

Updated with pic...no flag, but cool shoes!
Attached Images

Old December 16th, 2004, 04:28 PM

I think K-9 is a Hound Dog. The ears are perfect, and well...the sneakers are for sneaking!
Old December 16th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgeonerd
What kind of dog is K9? I want one like that...flag on the tail and all!

Updated with pic...no flag, but cool shoes!
Actually, I believe he is a Martian Duck Hound, of the Conversis Tennies variety.