Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM

Although the Crocus comes up in pretty cold weather, I think the Hellebore has it beat, plus it flowers into summer, and the leaves make a nice bush. I'm sure there are other flowers that make an early arrival, but these are the only two I have that do.What month would you say is your best for your blooming flowers?
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

What about daffodils, do they come up similar time as the crocus, or later? Our best months, and I have to name two, are October/November, as in October the irises bloom and some roses, but roses should be at the best around Melbourne Cup day, the first Tuesday in November. What would it be in Canada?
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Our daffidols come up later, in May. It seems so strange to think your best months are Oct/Nov., by then everything has been chopped down or pulled out. I'm in New York, and election day falls on the first Tuesday of Nov., can't think of anything else that does.
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, now you know, lindapalm, the biggest horse race in the Southern hemisphere, the Melbourne Cup, is always on the first Tuesday in November. The Flemington racecourse has lots of roses around the mounting yard etc., they have Fashions on The Field for the women ..... anyway, touted as 'the race that stops the Nation' and we get some wonderful overseas horses here for it. So, pretty exciting here and in New York also.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:07 PM

Have you ever won any money on the race?
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Even when I worked with racehorses I didn't gamble, I was there solely because of my love for horses. I actually helped look after a horse that was beaten by a short half head in that race, but then he was beaten by Rain Lover, a dual cup winner so we were lucky to get that close. Ancient history now and maybe if I went to the Cup now my attention would be divided between the horses and the roses. LOL. A lot of businesses here, if they aren't having a public holiday for it, at least have an office Sweeps on the Cup.
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I felt something crawl up my neck when I came inside the other night and it was one of the Mantis babies, and Hazel, they are Praying Mantis, I stuck a stick in front of one and it put its front legs out to it. Anyway, picked him up carefully and he's back in the garden. There are some in 3 rose beds that I know of now.
Gladi's and Penstemons, and to continue the pink theme, a pretty Aster.
Attached Images

Old February 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Awwww....babies!!! That's cool that you have so many, though. They're great for keeping the bad bugs in check. That glad is gorgeous!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

The Gladi' was looking wilted last night after 38C heat yesterday, Hazel, so I've an old dog show umbrella shading it today. 39C is the forecast. I'm having a siesta shortly, one way to get through these hot days, but first some more.

Black Beauty again.
Did I put this Leopard Lily in before?
And finally, Rudbeckia Prairie Sun.

Love the Rudbeckias, their flowers last forever and they're as tuff as.
Attached Images