Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:21 AM

Unhappy Older Lab Retriever-Does not respond

I have a 10 year old Black Lab Golden Retriever, and she does not seem to be herself.

Within the last year her energy level has severely declined. She is reluctant to go on walks. She never waggs her tail anymore, and is very calm around strangers (used to get excited and bark at them). I have noticed that the left side of her body is particulary sensitive to touch. Also, she does not really chew her dog food, she swallows the bites whole. In addition to her very abnormal behavior, she does not care for people food at all.

There has been no drastic changes that have occured within the past year. I have taken her to a vet and there is not really anything that they can do for her. Are there any ideas that I could be missing?
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Maybe your dog is suffering from arthritis. Animals with this condition have very painful joints (yes, just like older people who suffer from this condition). They don't enjoy their usual activities because it just hurts too much. Maybe you can bring your dog to the vet again and ask him/her about this condition. I know that your dog can get shots that will relieve the pain.

As for the not eating part, maybe your dog's sense is not as great as before, try heat it up a little bit (not too hot though!). This will increase the scent of the food and maybe your dog will be interested in the food again.

10 years old for a dog is like late-middle age for human, don't expect him to act like a puppy and run around the house and stuff. I hope this help a little