Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM

I just looked online at Petco. I didn't see any Canidae or Merrick. They do have one called Royal Canin. The ingredients for Mini Canine Health Nutrition 30 looks good.

Agree? (hope the link works.)

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...yID_10885.aspx

Oh and I just checked the ingredients in the Canine Carryouts that I've been giving her. Looks ok except it has "Animal Digest". What on earth is that??
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canin MINI Canine Health Nutrition Special 30
Chicken meal, chicken, brewers rice, brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), corn gluten meal, dried eggs, beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, brewers yeast, canola oil, chicory extract, salmon oil, potassium chloride, monosodium phosphate, dried sweet potatoes, choline chloride, salmon meal, dicalcium phosphate, flax seed, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, dried blueberries, alfalfa dehydrated meal, dried spinach, marigold extract, folic acid supplement, zinc oxide, iron sulfate, manganese proteinate, biotin, sage, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, rosemary extract, ascorbic acid, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement.
Not horrible, but the red ingredients are ones you want to try to avoid if possible (not horrible enough to avoid completely). Brewer's rice, brewer's yeast and beet pulp are all byproducts of the human food industry and don't provide any real nutrition. Corn gluten is pretty undigestible (i.e. big stools). Combining all the rice into one probably pushes it to #1 on the ingredient list, but at least the chicken is in meal form and isn't by-products.

I'm surprised there's no menadione in it, but maybe I'm just not seeing it (you don't want it in your food if you can help it).

Better than purina/Iams, but not as good as the holistic brands, IMO..
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Thank you so much for doing that! That is very helpful. I had no idea this stuff was not real good for dogs. Just amazed at how much I am learning.

Makes perfect sense to not give them something that I wouldn't eat myself, but I really didn't think to look at the whole list until you just did that. My first concern was the dairy, now I have so much more to watch out for.

I have to head to work now, but I'll look online again when I get home. I remember seeing "holistic" on the Petco site......I think it was there. I've looked at so many already...lol.
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Prin -- Would the DVP line work for her? They have that at Petco:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...amilyID=14234&
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM

DVP is good for anybody. Just not their "eatables" canned foods. (The other canned ones are good, just not that line, IMO). But yeah, everything else is good.

You'd have to switch REALLY gradually though, considering she's been on a very commercial food for some time now.
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

puzzling behavior

When she barks at anyone getting up, leaving etc, shake a pop can (with a few pennies in it) in her direction and at the same time give her a sharp no. Am currently fostering a male pom who is also quite bossy and very busy, any movement sends him into a yapping frenzy. The noise of the can startled him to the point he forgot to bark and after 3 attempts he just watches and follows the person or pet rather than being so vocal.
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

THe white spitz breeds do get tear stains, but if the eyes are gucky she should see a vet could be a mild infection.

Quote:
Can't think of the name, but they come 12 in a box? They look like the long pieces in Kibbles and Bits.
Gains burgers? I know there is another semi dry but both are total crap.

About the seizures she should be checked out by a vet for bllodwork include thyroid, x-rayed maybe even a certified animal chiropractor, maybe a pinched nerve causing the first few listed are in Kansas http://www.avcadoctors.com/certified...tedstatesb.htm

A vet will tell you what the condition of her teeth are like and whether clkeaning will be needed, toy breeds tend to have bad teeth and will need professional cleaning fairly often but you can help reduce the frequency of dentals http://www.ospca.on.ca/Dentistry/index.html
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys
THe white spitz breeds do get tear stains, but if the eyes are gucky she should see a vet could be a mild infection.

Gains burgers? I know there is another semi dry but both are total crap.

About the seizures she should be checked out by a vet for bllodwork include thyroid, x-rayed maybe even a certified animal chiropractor, maybe a pinched nerve causing the first few listed are in Kansas http://www.avcadoctors.com/certified...tedstatesb.htm

A vet will tell you what the condition of her teeth are like and whether clkeaning will be needed, toy breeds tend to have bad teeth and will need professional cleaning fairly often but you can help reduce the frequency of dentals http://www.ospca.on.ca/Dentistry/index.html
She only has the "seizures" when touched on her neck and the OP has avoided touching her neck so she has never seen them. I am not a vet - but I suspect this is something none medical - more of a fit thrown when the previous owner did something she didn't like.

As for her teeth, my mom raised poms for years and none of them ever needed any more dental work then any of my large dogs did. We always made sure to feed a good diet though.
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why do some dogs and cats have more periodontal disease than others?
1. Genetics is a very important factor- certain breeds of dogs such as the Yorkshire Terrier, Pomeranian, Maltese, Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso, Chihuahua, and Greyhound, and purebred cats such as the Himalayan, Persian, Siamese, Burmese or Abyssinian seem to have a greater than average risk of developing periodontal disease.
I have had 3 greyhound I brush as well as feed a good diet and have one that still needs dentals every year, the genetics still plays a big role , if this dog has bad teeth already, kibble alone is not going to clean them

Last edited by OntarioGreys; August 29th, 2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM

t.pettet.....that is exactly what she is doing! Did the pom your fostering bark at you also, or just everyone else?

As for her teeth, they look fantastic. I just mentioned them because I read they have a tendency to have trouble later.

Not sure if you would call her eyes gucky. I say junky cause I can see it. I'm not used to the tears being visible around the eyes, because I've never had a dog do that. I will have them checked tomorrow though.

Thanks for the DVP link. I'll check it out.

Now one more little thing. I've been reading all of your responses to hubby. He wants to know if I can submit a photo and see if someone can tell us what breed his dog is? Should I do it here or start a new thread?
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Of course you can ask about hubbie's dog! Start a new thread though.
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM

I bought a teacup pomeranian for my mom, about 8 years ago, Little Fox is his name, and he actually has the same problems. He barks at our feet and chases them. The vet just thought that it was a way for him to say that he wanted to play. He, as well has seizures if he eats any kind of dog food, dog treats, and any kind of table food. The seizures at first look as if they are just muscle spasms in his legs and then he will start drooling until its over. The vet actually gave him meds for it, that go into his food every morning, and it prevents it from happening so often... as for the food. He has to eat, "Meow Mix"..... it's been the easiest thing on his stomache.

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God." ~Unknown
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherOfLady
No I haven't tried to touch her neck. I'm scared to try it just to see what happens. If she does have a seizure, I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do. I have no idea if it's supposedly her entire neck or just the front.

Why is dry better for the teeth? I admit, I've never heard of Merrick. I will go find the threads that discuss food.
I've had a couple of dogs with seizure disorders. It's something you should discuss with your veterinarian. It's important that your doc and you delineate the severity and frequency of the seizures. And if possible understand their underlying cause.

The way to deal with it is when they start to stagger, is to catch them if they fall--mostly falling won't hurt them (not far to fall.) But it makes you feel useful. I used to keep a hand on my dog's body and hand under his head while he was seizing. Then when he came out of it, I'd hold him and comfort him as he regained his wits and composure. It seemed pretty disturbing to him.

A word of warning, most dogs can sense a seizure coming on and SOME are prone to biting during this time. So if YOU are your dog's primary person, you should be the person of choice to help her cope with the seizure.

If your dog has occasional seizures, think long and hard before allowing the doc to prescribe phenobarbitol. I had one dog that seized regularly enough and the barbiturates controled her seizures but also made her a bit dopey and stupified.

I don't know if dry is better for teeth--I tend to agree that food quality is a better predictor of dental health. NO ADDED SUGAR is something to look for (sugar can be high fructose corn syrup, sugar, corn sugar, molasses, honey.) Sugar promotes tarter deposits. You should learn to brush you dogs teeth--use a toothpaste that's formulated for dogs and a very soft (infant style) toothbrush.

I like dry because it doesn't spoil if the dog doesn't eat the entire bowlful at one time. Just pick it backup and save it for later. It's also very portable for travel. My experience with picky eaters is that they generally don't starve to death while getting used to the food that's offered. And dry food that's sized for small breeds is just the right size for most Poms.
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the info on the seizures.

She did something just 20 minutes ago, but not sure if she was having one or not. She was laying on my desk on her side. All of a sudden she started making a funny noise (almost like a coughing or choking), rolled over on her back, and her legs went stiff. They didn't shake like you just explained. She almost looked like rigor.

Seemed like it lasted well over a minute, but in reality, I think it was only 30 seconds. She went back over on her side and just laid there and went to sleep. Maybe she was just dreaming? I don't know but my heart sank.