Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:31 AM

Dog Seizures?

Hi all, I'm new here and had a question about dogs having seizures.

My 11 month Lab/Pit Bull mix had an episode on Sat night/Sun morning. She was laying on our bed and she started shaking her head, not the normal, twisting her head shake, but more like she was in a daze shake, from left to right. It only lasted for a few seconds and at first I thought I was seeing things. A couple of minutes later she did it again. We hoped it was something that would pass and not something we should worry about. We kept a close eye on her and a couple of hours later it happened again! This time it lasted for about 4 minutes, she was concious and semi-alert but it was very noticeable. Once she snapped out of it, she was fine, but that was it, we immediately rushed her to the emergency room. They kept her for a 24 hr observation period, during this time she did it agin. They ran all kinds of blood tests and checked her for lead poisining, they also gave her a general physical and everything came back normal? Now its been 4 days and she hadnt had any problems that we know of, and then it happened again, although very minor, it was obvious. I was wondering if anyone had any similiar experiences with there pets and if there is a way to stop or treat this illness. Also she has an inner ear infection that she is going to her regular doctor for, could this have triggered a seizure?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-S
Old October 5th, 2002, 02:18 PM

Seizures

Hi serra....I'm not a vet but here's agood link for you to look thru about seizures in dogs....

http://www.doglogic.com/healthlinks2.htm

Scroll down to seisures. I dogsit for a poor boy that has seizures occasionally. He is on phenobarbital to help control them. He is 8 and has had seizures for the last 2 years. Controllable now though.

I can only imagine how scary it was to see your pup having seizures. It scared the bejesus out of me the first I saw it happen.

Good luck with finding the right reatment.

Mahatma Ghandi