Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Question My dogs head is collapsing

My dog is 11 years old and lately we have noticed that one side of her head is collapsing. It is behind the eye brow. Is this normal for older dogs? She doesn't seem to be in pain and can still see out of that eye. Help!
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Something as serious as this and you haven't taken your dog to the vet?

What is wrong with people!!!!!!!!
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Maybe its not quite as serious as "collapsing" makes it sound.
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

And who's the best one to make that call? A vet!
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Sheeesh. All I meant was, maybe its just a small spot or something and the way she wrote it made it sound terrible. Maybe she just noticed it today and wanted a little reassurance. I dont know what its like in Canada, but unless you have an animal who is bleeding to death, or violently ill, any vet around here would say "come in monday morning" .
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

It would seem to me that if the shape of your head started to concave you wouldn't wait until Monday morning would you?
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
banned user

Well, that's certainly an eye-catching title for a thread.

I saw "MY DOG'S HEAD IS COLLAPSING" and read it again, thinking my eyes were fooling me.

It can't be that immediate, as the author has not checked back in to clarify the severity of the collapse.

Odd choice of words.

Wish I could help, but I'm not a vet.
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:19 PM

Wink Head Collapsing

Have some compasion for Wigglebug! She is probably very upset about the situation. I am sure she would not let her dog suffer
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

We all here have a lot of compassion,for a poor old dog with a"collapsing head",but first he sees a vet,then we will feel compassion for the owner
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:30 PM

Smile Head collapsing

Ok. I have read all your e mails and although I appreciate the time you took to write I have gotten no helpful information. I noticed this a few weeks ago. My dog's behaivor has not changed in the least bit. She is not in any pain. Her head just has an indentation on one side of her head behind the eye socket. I love my dog very much. In fact I just finished paying a $400 bill to the vet from her being sick in May. That is mainly the reason I haven't taken her again, money. You see caring for a child with mutiple handicaps takes priority and the resorces of my family. So although we love our family dog, we know that she is just a dog and not a human. We will do everything in our power to help her, but sometimes the lack of resorces keep us powerless. That is why I have turned to you here. For help. So if you have any helpful information, without judgement, please write. Thank you.
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Is there really an indentation in the dog's head or is the dog losing weight? Weight loss would not be surprising in a dog of that age and that could make any indentations in the skull become more visible - Actually so would dehydration, ensure that the dog is eating and drinking normally and get the dog on senior food if she appears to be losing weight.The only thing I can think of is to check the opposite side of the dog's head - see if you can feel a similar indentation on the other side. A Vet visit would really be best here, but if it is not possible that's the only thing I can think of. I can't imagine anything causing an indentation of the skull short of a blow to the head, and if there is no pain - especially on the indentation itself, then that is not likely the cause.
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I too was thinking of something along that line,maybe someone kicked her,or she walked into something.Weightloss can also do that,but she would not lose weight on just one side!
It would not cost hundreds of $$$ just to get the vets opinion,if further testing or treatments is required,you can then make up your mind as to what you are able to do.
Yes,a disabled child comes first,I've been there,but an 11yr old dog is also your responsability,from the minute you took her into your home.
Since she is 11,I am sure you've loved her and taken good care of her,maybe this problem is not serious and does not require treatments,but to put your mind at ease,having the vet look at her is the only option.
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:02 AM
banned user

Well, a little indentation is certainly better than "my dog's head is collapsing", and you can't blame people for being rather alarmed at an untreated COLLAPSING head.

My (former) senior dog developed bumps and misshapen areas that always turned out to be nothing serious. It could be as simple as a loss of calcium, if as you say the dog is behaving normally and seems to be just fine. Again, only a vet could say for sure, but the senior food mentioned might be a good idea in case it is a sign of supplemental bone loss.

I know I've developed a few dents over time.........lol
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Here is your helpful information: Go to a vet!
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Luba

I have never meet a more angry person. No wonder animals are your best friends. You really lack people skills. I pity you.
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglebug83
Ok. I have read all your e mails and although I appreciate the time you took to write I have gotten no helpful information. I noticed this a few weeks ago. My dog's behaivor has not changed in the least bit. She is not in any pain. Her head just has an indentation on one side of her head behind the eye socket. I love my dog very much. In fact I just finished paying a $400 bill to the vet from her being sick in May. That is mainly the reason I haven't taken her again, money. You see caring for a child with mutiple handicaps takes priority and the resorces of my family. So although we love our family dog, we know that she is just a dog and not a human. We will do everything in our power to help her, but sometimes the lack of resorces keep us powerless. That is why I have turned to you here. For help. So if you have any helpful information, without judgement, please write. Thank you.
You don't have any right insulting Luba! She, as well as the rest of the people here, have offered you "useful" information -GO SEE A VET!! I find that VERY useful information and quite frankly - COMMON SENSE! (Insults can go both ways hunnie!!)
Do you know the signs of a dog in pain or suffering - I have had dogs all my life and realize that every dog is different (just like humans) of course, you realize that your dog is not human... your statement: "we know that she is just a dog, not human" those are words of a heartless pet owner - SHAME ON YOU!!! This dog should be rehomed to a place that will offer her love and compassion that she deserves!!!

It's a little hypocritical to ask for "information without judgement" when you're quite willing to pass judgement on people that are trying to help you.

GO TO A VET. We are not vets and anything that is said here is strictly an assumption since we are unable to examine your "beloved" pet.
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:59 AM

I'm sorry

Your right. I am sorry for attacking Luba. I know that we don't all think the same and it is clearly a difference of oppinion. I wish you all well with your pets and I will be going elsewhere with future questions.
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

SHE IS JUST A DOG,if that is your attitude then you dont need a dog WIGGLEBUG,,,,,,,,,,,
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I have recently found this site. And reading this thread disturbs me.
I too have come her to look for useful information, meet people in the same situation as myself and maybe make a few friends while getting support.

When I read the first message in this thread I didn't get offended. I felt bad for her. I know what it's like to find something wrong with your pet (or even child for that matter) and panic immediately before you get a chance to get to a doctor or vet. I am also a single mother and sometimes you do have to wait. What if she had said that the vet couldn't take the pet till another time but as long as the dog was acting fine don't worry. Would you freak out then?
This is supposed to be a support system of people joined together in their love for their animals. Maybe find out some information along the way.
Well I haven't seen any support here, just a bunch of judgemental individuals who have one answer for everything, go to a vet. If only it was that simple. Maybe you few can afford it, but in the real world not all of us can. Sometimes we do have to wait for that cheque to come in and aren't lucky enough to have a vet in our back pockets allowing us to pay when we can.
I am sorry if I offend anyone I am just asking to see a little understanding, patience and compassion for people that have feelings.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Her question is not one that cannot be answered here! That's why she was directed to a vet. Questions like "my dog eats grass and throws up" or, "I have an appointment for the vet, but in the mean time, how can I help with my pets constipation?" That's another question. But we are not vets and because you don't want to take your pet to the vet for a "collapsing" head is a cause for concern; and we take it quite seriously. The only logical and smart answer in this case is GO TO THE VET. It's not being cruel or rude, it's the truth.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What if she had said that the vet couldn't take the pet till another time but as long as the dog was acting fine don't worry
I don't know how that is relevant, since she didn't say anything even close to that, did she? If she had, then no doubt the answers would have been different.
She said:
Quote:
My dog is 11 years old and lately we have noticed that one side of her head is collapsing. It is behind the eye brow. Is this normal for older dogs? She doesn't seem to be in pain and can still see out of that eye. Help!
I think anyone would find it alarming to hear about a dog's head COLLAPSING and would advise a vet visit.

Since we aren't mind readers, can't see the animal, and can't guess what someone may really "mean", we have to take what people write at face value.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:43 PM

That's totally understandable, I know you guys are not vets and don't have the authority to diagnose anything. And yes she should take the dog to the vet. but if you look at the previous posts there was alot of condemnation, and yelling at her. Basically telling her she is not a good puppy "mommy" because the dog is not at the vet. That is not understanding or compassionate. Maybe before getting angry at someone, ask questions, try to find out her situation and instead of belittling and picking at little things she writes try to put yourself in her shoes. Something happens to your animal and you have no money and the vet takes cash on demand only. How would you feel. I know I would be panicky and upset and looking for a little reassurance from other owners while I had to endure a wait.
Don't make people feel worse than they already do. That's just unkind.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim1
That's totally understandable, I know you guys are not vets and don't have the authority to diagnose anything. And yes she should take the dog to the vet. but if you look at the previous posts there was alot of condemnation, and yelling at her. Basically telling her she is not a good puppy "mommy" because the dog is not at the vet. That is not understanding or compassionate. Maybe before getting angry at someone, ask questions, try to find out her situation and instead of belittling and picking at little things she writes try to put yourself in her shoes. Something happens to your animal and you have no money and the vet takes cash on demand only. How would you feel. I know I would be panicky and upset and looking for a little reassurance from other owners while I had to endure a wait.
Don't make people feel worse than they already do. That's just unkind.
If you're dog's eye was bulging out of its head would you sit down at the computer and type in a forum? I would be at the vet right away, regardless of my money situation. Many vets do not discuss money until the animal is already beeing looked at. AND I don't know may vets - in the profession of saving animal lives that wold turn you away if you had a very serious concern. Even a consultation - like Lucky suggested - might set you back about 50 bucks. Then you would know if it was a cause for concern or not. Unfortunately our emotions get the best of us sometimes. But I for one do not believe in lack of funds to be a legitamate "excuse" for not caring for your animal.
Let it be known that I do not have tons of cash, nor do I have a large savings account. I probably could NOT afford for Briggs to have an emergency. BUT when looking into proper vet care for my animals that was one priority - that the vet would allow for payments and weekend care if required. I didn't just settle for the closest vet, nor the cheapest.
I know that if Briggs did have an emergency I would put ALL pride aside and BEG for money if she (or Connor) was in need.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Thank god the dog's eye wasn't bulging.
Anyways, I didn't post to nitpick or dissect conversations, all I said was to show some understanding and compassion as you would ask if you had to sit with your hands tied NO MATTER WHAT the situation may be.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim1
Thank god the dog's eye wasn't bulging.
Assuming that was meant sarcastically....I would think that a dogs head "collapsing" would signify the same importance.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I see your point and used to get mad when people were rude to me also,BUT come on my dogs head is collapsing is the normal???? If your childs head was collapsing what woudl you think...I Now i see why they do get aggravated here///////////
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

maxim, I DO understand what you are saying, but I'm trying to explain why you saw these responses.

In YOUR first post you said:
Quote:
I just got a new kitten 4 days ago.
The only info that I have is that it is older than a month. She goes to the vet on saturday because since I got her I found out that she had tons of fleas (I have spent two days picking them off her)
Now if your first post had said:

"I have a 4 week old kitten who is infested with fleas and her intestines are falling out from diarrhea. What should I do?"

That would be an emergency and you would have also been told GO TO THE VET ASAP. But you explained that you were taking steps to help the situation, so we didn't have to try and read your mind.

We have had posters here whose animals have DIED in agony because they would NOT take them to a vet after we repeatedly begged them to, and then WE were blamed for not diagnosing and curing the pet over the internet.

We are only human, and I hope this helps you understand why people may get a bit testy.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM

lucky rescue, I am a member of many different forums and am well aware that there are people that do not express themselves effectively online. But I have not once seen anyone here show understanding to someone that is obviously upset. All they have been (including yourself) is critical without asking questions to get to the bottom of her worry and concern. I for one didn't take the title seriously because come on, without the animal acting sick I highly doubt a head would collapse for no reason, just like I don't think my neighbour will spontaniously combust.
You are the only one that has seen my point, the rest seem to nitpick what I say and criticize me for showing a fellow pet owner some humanity. I guess it takes a special person to show love and understanding to someone that is obviously frustrated and upset and concerned for their animal.
Has anyone bothered to follow up to see if she is getting the animal to the vet by the way? Guess what I have and she is!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
All they have been (including yourself) is critical without asking questions to get to the bottom of her worry and concern.
I'm a little confused, since I have posted nothing at all to this person.

The only posts I have made on this thread are ones trying to explain to you why others may have responded as they did. Don't know if you read them (my explanations/examples)since you have not commented on if you can see my point or not.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Well maybe she shouldnt say i know it is just a dog,that doesnt help her here//////////