Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old July 24th, 2004, 10:55 PM

Smile FOUND- Lost Airport Cat

Lily is safe and sound!
The airport authority caught Lily at a construction site over the weekend. She is with Laura in their new home in Toronto.
From what Laura says, Lily is thinner than before, but very content to be where she is rather than a vast scary airport!
Thanks to all who read this and were concerned about Lily's well being!
I did not think Lily would get a happy ending so soon!
El Al airlines still denies any wrong doing. However, Laura feels they were negligible and did not secure Lily's carrier. In any case, she is very happy to have Lily back and will try to convince El Al to improve the manner in which they transport companion animals.

Thanks again for you support and interest!
Tamar

For those who missed it the story from the beginning....

El Al Airlines lost a dark tortiseshell (dark brown and orange) cat with left clipped ear upon flight arrival at Toronto Pearson International Airport on June 20th 2004. Lily is a fairly small cat who was saved as a street cat. They are refusing to assist in locating Lily the cat. If anyone sees her or has any suggestions on how to save her, please let us know! travelphile@hotmail.com

I'm trying to get a photo uploaded and am experiencing technical difficulties.
The story with Lily is this...
It's been over a month now. I am not Lily's owner, but am trying to help in any way I can. Laura Elliott arrived in Toronto on June 20th expecting to retrieve 2 of her cats (travelling in separate carriers) from cargo. They only brought her one. Lily apparently jumped out of the cargo hold from a broken carrier. El Al is now blaming Laura for the poor carrier quality and for Lily being too smart for her own good. The carrier is completely destroyed. The Toronto Airport Authority claims that it's El Al's responsibility to retrieve Lily, while El Al says it's a matter for the Airport Authority. Meanwhile poor Lily is out there somewhere - perhaps in the Infield area perhaps migrated elsewhere. Lily was saved from the streets of Tel Aviv. When winter hits she is not going to know how to survive. She is spayed and was recently vaccinated.
Laura is desperate to find Lily. She received only one sighting from an Air Canada employee but nothing concrete. On Friday she went to meet the El Al General manager and get some answers. The general manager compared Lily to a piece of luggage and then kicked Laura out of the office!
I have tried to help Laura by getting attention from the media - newspapers, from Silverman helps, and others. Laura was featured on CityTV with Bob Hunter and an article recently appeared in the Guardian. Other than that, nobody seems interested in another lost cat - despite the airline negligence angle.
If anyone has any suggestions/connections/solutions to save Lily please let me know!
Laura has a petition started at thepetitionsite.com - this is the link:
http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/660274838

As well, there is a letter writing campaign trying to get El Al and the GTAA to respond. If anyone is interested in seeing/sending a copy, again, please let me know and I'll be happy to email a copy.

Last edited by tamar; August 3rd, 2004 at 08:27 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OHh I see a big Law Suit coming!!

post this on
www.petfinder.com

www.canadastrays.com

www.lostandfound.ca

do you have pictures?
Attached Images

Old July 24th, 2004, 11:36 PM

I'll post a photo as soon as I have access to a scanner!
thanks!
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,how terrible you must feel,how can they loose a cat???She must have been in a carrier,maybe a story in the newspaper could help.I would contact the Toronto Star and The Sun,sometimes they grab at a story like this.
I would also hound the airline until I got some answers,maybe she did not even get on the plane
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I wouldn't let them get away with that, it's just horrible poor kitty have you contacted the airport that you left from? as chico said maybe he's still there? I would raise cane about this , contact any news media that will listen the minute this goes public the airlines will start to bend over backwards to assist you

Good luck I hope you find your kitty
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Unrelated: When I flew from Beijing to Vancouver en route to Toronto there was a delay in takeoff from Vancouver and we ended up with a different plane and too many passengers (new plane was smaller). The pilot came on and explained that the original plane was not being used because: When they were unloading cargo, a cat escaped from its carrier and disappeared into the belly of the plane, and they weren't going to use the plane until the cat was found.

Imagine being in that cat's shoes!

Anyway, this happened June 6, 2004, so it's not the same cat.
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A friend of mine works customs at the airport I fwd'd the mesg to him FYI
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:17 PM

More info

Thank you so much Luba! - the more people that know about Lily, the greater chance she has!

I'm trying to get a photo uploaded and am experiencing technical difficulties.
The story with Lily is this...
It's been over a month now. I am not Lily's owner, but am trying to help in any way I can. Laura Elliott arrived in Toronto on June 20th expecting to retrieve 2 of her cats (travelling in separate carriers) from cargo. They only brought her one. Lily apparently jumped out of the cargo hold from a broken carrier. El Al is now blaming Laura for the poor carrier quality and for Lily being too smart for her own good. The carrier is completely destroyed. The Toronto Airport Authority claims that it's El Al's responsibility to retrieve Lily, while El Al says it's a matter for the Airport Authority. Meanwhile poor Lily is out there somewhere - perhaps in the Infield area perhaps migrated elsewhere. Lily was saved from the streets of Tel Aviv. When winter hits she is not going to know how to survive. She is spayed and was recently vaccinated.
Laura is desperate to find Lily. She received only one sighting from an Air Canada employee but nothing concrete. On Friday she went to meet the El Al General manager and get some answers. The general manager compared Lily to a piece of luggage and then kicked Laura out of the office!
I have tried to help Laura by getting attention from the media - newspapers, from Silverman helps, and others. Laura was featured on CityTV with Bob Hunter and an article recently appeared in the Guardian. Other than that, nobody seems interested in another lost cat - despite the airline negligence angle.
If anyone has any suggestions/connections/solutions to save Lily please let me know!
Laura has a petition started at thepetitionsite.com - this is the link:
http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/660274838

As well, there is a letter writing campaign trying to get El Al and the GTAA to respond. If anyone is interested in seeing/sending a copy, again, please let me know and I'll be happy to email a copy.
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I sent you a PM pls go look
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Picture of Lily
Attached Images

Old July 25th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I know this is a long shot. The canadian media is great, but you should try to get the story out to the Elen show. It is american, but it is seen by millions across Canada and USA. She loves animals and is a great advocate for cats. You can email the show and see if she can air the story. It is a long shot, but anything may help,especially with the winter season around the corner. Good luck. Please let us know how this ends.
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:14 AM

thank you so much for your suggestion!
I'm trying to compile a list of places to send this story - the more people who hear about this the better. Apparently more than 5,000 animals are lost or killed by airlines every year!
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww, what a sad sad story!!! I hope the best for the little kitty. I do a bit of work at the airport (terminal 3 expansion) I am around the tarmac area. I will keep my eye out for the little darling!!! Please don't let your friend give up!! The airport should never be allowed to treat animals like this!!!!
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been to the airport on many of occassions but have neglected to notice the area surrounding it Is there places (factories, business, houses) that a flyer of her story and picture could be circulated in case she has wandered away from the commotion of the airport?

Just a thought
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Another Picture Of Lily

keep your eye open for Lily everybody
Attached Images

Old July 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. I have passed everything along to Laura - Lily's owner. The more people who know to keep their eyes open the better!
The area around the airport is so big and one pair of eyes is not enough. So, again, thanks to everyone who is willing to pay attention and look where we can't!
tamar.
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I thought everyone would be interested to read these articles about Lily:
http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/etobi...-2419419c.html
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...28/559751.html

Thanks!
tamar
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Tamar,lets hope"the Birdman"can find her,a month is a long time,hopefully someone is feeding her and will be alerted to the situation and Lily will be reunited with her owner.That kind of news would be wonderful
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

It's obvious the airline isn't even concerned. Checking the traps once a week? Not their area? Not their problem? They need a media storm of public opinion!
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Laura and I have started a letter writing campaign to get the word out about how negligent and callous the airline has been. They seem to think that a cat is the same as a suitcase!
If anyone is interested in recieving/sending out these letters to El Al and to IATA demanding changes in the standards of pet transport, please contact me either on this bulletin board or at travelphile@hotmail.com
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:25 PM

For those of you in the Toronto area, the cbc news at 6pm is going to have a short spot on Laura.
So far, Lily is still out there somewhere. The GTAA is keeping their eyes open. Hopefully this helps get her home soon!
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I saw this on Global news way to go!!!
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Tamara,I'll watch it at 6....so,no signs of the poor little Lily yet
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw the young lady and I believe with her determination and strong will,somehow she will get her Lily back.
The biggest concern to me was food and cars,but if she was a stray in Israel,she more than likely can catch her own food and is able to survive.
The airport area is HUGE and plenty of fields with mice and birds,one day someone will find her,I am sure.
I was a little perturbed with El Als blatant disregard for a living luggage and did not know you would have to secure the carrier with ropes,nor that the handlers would throw it around like a suitcase
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Whenever I see this thread come up, I hope they've found her. I wonder how she'll survive in winter. ((Group prayers!))
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:26 PM

update

Hello everyone,

Just a little update...
Laura is truly devastated. Although the GTAA is cooperating and has set traps for Lily, they now feel that she may have moved on from where she was spotted earlier in the week - if indeed it was Lily (they aren't 100% certain either way).
Laura is praying that Lily is still there and that despite apparently strong will, she will eventually go into one of the traps.
Being on television brought more attention to Lily, but the airline still claims that Laura should have tied the carrier with string. They also still equate Lily with luggage.
I hope she is caught before the GTAA gives up and definately before winter sets in. Little Lily won't know what to do!
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Tamar. I can certainly understand her,I would be destroyed knowing my cat is out there somewhere.I am hoping her survival-skills are strong and that she has found shelter.The airport and all the noise is a scary place for a cat,but the highway even worse
The irony of travelling soo far and then being devastatingly lost,due to human indifference,just breaks your heart.
I hope by now,all vets,shelters and HS know about her,someone out there must find her,please keep us posted.
I am hoping for a miracle for both Laura and little Lily.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:25 AM

Smile FOUND- Lost Airport Cat

Lily is safe and sound!
The airport authority caught Lily at a construction site over the weekend. She is with Laura in their new home in Toronto.
From what Laura says, Lily is thinner than before, but very content to be where she is rather than a vast scary airport!
Thanks to all who read this and were concerned about Lily's well being!
I did not think Lily would get a happy ending so soon!
El Al airlines still denies any wrong doing. However, Laura feels they were negligible and did not secure Lily's carrier. In any case, she is very happy to have Lily back and will try to convince El Al to improve the manner in which they transport companion animals.

Thanks again for you support and interest!
Tamar
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

This is the BEST news ever!!! YEAH!!!! That's SOOO exciting!!! I'm SOO glad to hear it!!!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

That right there just made my day that is so very wonderful!!!!!!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo