Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 31st, 2004, 09:21 PM

Apartment & Housebreaking

Now that our 3.5month toy poodle Casey's cough is gone and the rainy season is over, I'm trying to retrain him to do all his business outside.

Here's the problem... I wake up in the morning and take him outside, and he does both jobs rather quickly. I then spend about 5-10 minutes playing with him and practising his "tricks" while we're out there. I come back in and start getting breakfast ready, get ready to go to class, etc., and during that time, Casey often does both jobs AGAIN (on the newspaper tray that I haven't removed yet). I understand that he's been holding it all night, but is it normal that he has to go to the bathroom that many times within an hour?

The fact that I live on the third floor of an apartment makes it harder as it takes a significant amount of time to go up and down, especially on a hectic morning.

Also, I believe in crate training to housebreak a dog, but I don't think it's fair to stick him in his crate when he's just done all his business outside....

I have to admit that I hate taking him out at night too, when it's a little dark on the street and I've already gotten myself ready to sleep, but I have to throw "decent" clothes on again...

Anyone other apartment dwellers (or anyone for that matter) with advice? Thanks all, once again!
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

If you want to live with a puppy on the 3rd floor, you'll be getting lots of exercise!

Tiny toy puppies have tiny bladders and bowels, so yeah, it's normal for him to "go" a lot. Your living situation is making housetraining very difficult and the fact that he has been taught to go in the house isn't helping either.

Since you also hate taking him out at night, you might consider just permantly training him to use a litterbox or pee pads and hope he won't start lifting his leg. My mother in law did this with her toy poodle and Chi.

Otherwise, you'll have to confine him when you can't watch him, or run him downstairs much more often.
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:53 AM

Thanks Lucky. I'm curious about these pee pads -- I don't know if they're available in Korea, but they may be worth getting sent to me. Would it be that much better than the newpaper lined tray?

Since he is a little guy, his mess is pretty little too, not that different from a cat, so I don't mind it in the house that much....

In September I will be off class and not working for awhile -- maybe then I can try housebreaking him 100%. But you're right -- it is hard now that he's learned that it's perfectly okay to go in the house. One good thing about Korea, though -- "ondol" floor heating system means that there isn't any carpet!
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey Moontamara! I live on the 18th floor of a very busy building. It's definately NOT the best senario for housetraining!! I for one tried to completely eliminate pooping and peeing in the house, I never used any pee pads. The double step of using puppy pads and housetraining makes in MUCH more confusing for the puppy. It takes longer for the puppy to get the idea. 1. Don't go wild with praise when the dog goes on the paper, tell him just moderatly, because eventually you don't want him to go indoors!!
2. Teach your pup to "hurry up" on the paper so when you go outside he will understand what you mean (that limits the amount of time you have to spend out there at night!)
3. Move the paper slowly, closer and closer towards the door until it disappears all together.

You have to make sure that you WANT to include this step! As I mentioned it does take alot longer to fully house train your puppy! But it sounds like it is important. Maybe when you're home in September you can eliminate the paper all together!

But as for the trips downstairs. I know what you mean, but it's gotta be done! I was actually just telling Luba about having to get in the elevator when I've gotten ready for bed! No make up hair pulled back and baggy clothes!!! But to put it nicely, you just gotta suck it up!! LOL!!! It sucks especially if hottie gets in the elevator with you, but that's life!! Your puppy needs to go out! And yes, when Briggs first came to us we were out every HOUR!! Up and down!!
As for the "scary" night time, I also feel your pain!! I live in a better area then I used to and I still do not like being in the dark at 11 at night... but I have worked on having Briggs go to the washroom in the same place when you get outside. Close to the door and a better lite area! (To train that it's all about repeating, the catch on!)

Hope that helped you, sorry it's so long!!
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Actually, a tiny toy poodle makes much less mess than a 15 or 20 lb cat!

For people like sammiec and me, housetraining is not optional cause no one can have a 60 or 70lb dog eliminating in the house. But if I had a dog the size of a toy poodle, and lived in an apt. i would definitely consider litter box training. This way you will never have to worry about rushing home, or getting dressed up in the middle of the night.

Newspapers are not good for older dogs, cause the pee will puddle around their feet and some dogs don't like that. although puppies dont' care. Something more absorbant is better.

Whatever you choose, I really suggest you choose one method now, and stick with it, or this puppy will just be too confused at all the back and forth stuff.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:17 AM

Hmmm... you're right, I do have to decide soon here. Good advice from both of you, and thank you sooooo much!!!! The only problem with litterbox training is that I'm not sure they have the right stuff here. I will go to the "pet street" this week and inquire. But I should know what I'm asking for -- kitty litter won't work, right? There is something else specifically for dogs (at least in North America) right? Do you know what it is called -- the Korean translation would probably be quite similar. Also, any popular brands? I might just have to do a little searching online here myself...

THANKS!!!! You guys are great!!!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

As much as I hate Purina, they do have a good page on litter training dogs.

You could probably use any pelleted litter for this. I don't know if the litter must be specifically for dogs, or if they are saying this to make a buck such as they are doing with their "Food for indoor cats" ripoff.

Take a look!

Litter training dogs
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a footnote to any visitors to this thread! It's NEVER a good idea to leave you dogs for long periods of time simply because they might be litter trainined. Dogs are social animals and need a companion. Cats are different because they are independant, they can be left for 12 hours a day and still be content - not the same for a dog!!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:42 AM

Lucky -- thank you! Helpful site, and I know have a better idea of what I'm looking for!

Sammiec -- very good point to make! I imagine that kind of system is probably abused that way fairly often.

THANKS!!!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Shih Tzu Owner

My shih-tzu actually goes twice in the morning before I go to work. When I wake up, I take her out to do her business. After eating, I play with her for a few minutes then take her out again before going to work and she does her business again. This is the same when we come home from work. If she has to go while we're at work, we leave paper on the floor as she seems to prefer that to pee on and a litter box for number 2.

When we picked her up at 8 months, I decided to buy the Purina litter box with the pellets and she just started going there for number 2 without any coaxing.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:55 AM

I wonder why she doesn't like to pee in there?