Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:24 AM

Missy and Shadow have crossed the bridge

We want to let our members know that we lost our two senior Abbys - Missy, our Blue/Silver and Shadow, our Ruddy - at the beginning of August.
Missy at 12 years, had had digestive issues since kittenhood that we had managed to deal with. However, within the last few weeks of July, her system seemed to decrease downhill and she was having a great deal of difficulty controlling her excretions into the litter box. She couldn't do anything about what was happening and we could tell that it was bothering her no end. We'd find little blobs of liquidy soupy stool all over the house - beside the litter box, in the box, on the floor, even on the carpet in the bedrooms, and sometimes even downstairs in the basement.
Then she seemed to pick up and be her old self again, for about another two weeks.
However, the last 2 days of July, it got really bad and we were trying to prepare for a major move We realized that there was no way that Missy could endure a 12 or more hour drive in a car to our new home. It just wasn't to be. Basically the stress of the move seemed to be more than she could bare.
We decided to part with her on the 1st of August. The vet at the time, suggested that since we were not having her cremated there, that we put her on display for the other 4 cats to observe and give them some grieving time as well. Which we did.
Our other 2 girls - BB and Mrg - spent the best part of half an hour with her, and Yogi - our other male - spent maybe 10 minutes. This was all a surprise to us. But Shadow was very different. He made one quick revolution of the room and left. He stayed clear of the room for about 2 hours. I picked him up and carried him into the room and got a very unexpected reaction.
He became very vocal and aggressive so I just slowly turned around and left.
Shortly after he became his old self again.
On Monday, it was "load the truck day". We set up a "safe room" and the cats were put into their carriers till the safe room was made ready. All furniture was removed from this room. We put one piece of cat furniture in there, plus the litter box, and water.
When I went to release the cats, Shadow was into an extremely aggressive mode again, hissing, yowling, and ready to attack. I managed to get his door open without loosing my fingers, and he spent the rest of the day in his carrier. The other cats cowered in their carriers or in corners of the room until the truck was loaded. It was about a 9 hour ordeal for them. Shadow didn't seem to recognize us at all. He never came out of this state - he was in it for all day and even overnight. Shadow was 12 1/2 years.
The next morning - Tuesday - I tried to load him into a large carrier, because there was absolutely no way I could handle him, even with the help of my son. Shadow was in such a state, that he had lost control of all bodily excretions - urine and fecal matter were flying in all directions. We managed to get him into this larger carrier. He didn't recognize anyone.
We called a vet clinic in a different town - about half an hour up the highway in the direction we were heading - and they were able to take us at 10:30. So we had also lost him by about 11:30. When we left this little town, we had all our 5 kitties with us, but Missy and Shadow were not in the state we had hoped and planned for.
The vet clinic also suggested to us that we display Shadow as well and prepared him for this. However, with our situation as it was, this wasn't possible. So all the other kitties had was the smell of him as we travelled the highway to our new home.
Due to the fact that Missy and Shadow were so close in life, we have been told that the stress of the move - all the packing, etc. - that he was having some minor mental issues that we didn't really recognize. And the sudden loss of Missy was more than he could endure. This again, we didn't recognize. We were told that he wanted to be with Missy, hence the sudden change in his state.
We got this explanation from 2 different sources. It has happened before, but it's not common.
So we are coping with our loss as best we can - unpacking and enjoying the company of our other 3 kitties, who are all adjusting to the move fairly well.
Sorry for the long message, but felt that we needed to let you know what we've been up to for the past month or so.
We also wanted to let members know that this situation can happen to other people and their kitties, and we wanted you to be aware.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Missy and Shadow, angels together

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM

My deepest condolences for your loss, Missy & Shadow
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:40 PM

So sorry for your loss. Missy & Shadow
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

What a terribly sad time for you and your family. I'm doubly sorry for such early and tragic losses.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

How heartbreaking. RIP Missy and Shadow, friends forever.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Aww Reg, such sad news, so sorry to hear this .

Please accept my deepest condolences - so many of us know what you are going through

sweet Shadow and Missy
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM

So sorry for your losses.
Old September 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I ma so sorry to hear of your lose Missy and Shadow.
Old September 14th, 2014, 10:44 PM

We want to thank all of you for your kind words re Missy and Shadow. It has been a very difficult 6 or so weeks.
We managed to get moved and have our other 3 kitties to tend to - BB, Yogi, and Mrg. They made the trip to our new home in pretty good shape and are still exploring the house.
This house is an older house and the previous owners had kitties, so their odour is still pretty prevalent especially in the basement.
We have noticed a change in their habits and behaviour though. We feel that there must have been stress prior to our move. With the loss of Missy and Shadow, the other 3 cats seem to have become more settled - they don't seem to be having as many little hissy fits as they had. And Yogi's "rolling skin Syndrome" has diminished considerably, which I find a bit surprising.
There has been a big change in scenery in this new home - lots of birds in the backyard, and there's a park across the street that is busy all the time with people and their dogs, and also watching the kids playing in the water flower, and on the swings, etc. There are also black, red, and grey squirrels that frequent the backyard and the tree in front, and we've never had them before.
We can tell though, by her actions, that BB is still missing Missy. Yogi and Mrg are sort of a team, but BB was closer to Missy.
Thank you again for your thoughts and prayers.