Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Wink my springer should be 6 weeks pregnant

hi my springer was mated with on the 27th june she is due on the 30 august but......... she dont look any different to me what signs should i be looking for this will be her 1st litter
please any advice will be good
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

your breeding mentor should be able to let you know all the signs you should be looking for.

this is generally a pro spay/neuter board. so advice here may be few and far between as most of us are not breeders here.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
-

Welcome to pets.ca ~ as noted this is a VERY pro spay and neuter board. Many of us work or volunteer with rescued animals and others, like myself have adopted rescued dogs. As such we are all too aware of the tens of thousands of unwanted puppies and dogs who come from backyard breeders and puppymills and are euthanized each and every day.

Please consult your Veterinarian with your breeding questions.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hi and congratulation on your upcoming litter!

There is virtually NO one on this forum that will answer questions about breeding etc. If you want to get good answers from some great people who are also pro spay/neuter, but still willing to give you answers try this forum

I'm assuming that this is your first litter, if you are unaware of the signs of pregnancy. I would highly recommend that you take your dog to the vet for a check up. It costs less than $100.00 and they will be able to palpatate and tell you for sure if she's prego and even an approxamiate number of pups. It will also give you a chance to ask questions and educate yourself about what to be aware of.

Each bitch is different as to how they show they are pregnant. Not every bitch gets all the signs, it's more about knowing your own dog than anything else.

You may notice
-increase in appitite
- vulvua may remain enlarged after her heat cycle
-her vulva may start to get big again to allow for birth
- Her nipples may "pop" and she will start to fill with milk
- she will get bigger, allow if it's a small litter she may not show at all
- she may become more affectionate/distant (there's tyipcally a mood change)

- it is also advisable to start taking her temperature every morning and night. Typically a dog's temperature is about 101 F but prengnacy tends to give them a lower temperature between 99 - 100 F. On our around day 58 of her pregnancy you should take and record her temperature in the morning and at night. Take her temp when she is in a calm restful state. If you take her temp after exersice etc the readings will be off. You should notice that her temp will fluctuate within a degree. The day before she has the pups her temperature will go up, back to a normal dog temperature. Then it will dip right down below 98.5F this tells you that she will give birth with in 12 to 24 hours. In my experience this drop of temperature is accompanied by early signs of labour.

A good website for whelping, pregnacy signs etc is

http://www.debbiejensen.com/

Of course you can always visit the other forum and/or PM

All the best

Last edited by Capt. Jack; August 9th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz View Post
There is virtually NO one on this forum that will answer questions about breeding etc. .... I would highly recommend that you take your dog to the vet for a check up.
NO one ? Really ? Cuz I would SWEAR I just gave him the same advice... Gosh it must be AUGUST
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
NO one ? Really ? Cuz I would SWEAR I just gave him the same advice... Gosh it must be AUGUST
Your entire advice, the advice that is always given here............."go to the vet" thats it thats all. Nothing else. Except every now and again this forum might say "got to the vet,,,,,,get your dog spayed now" Taking the dog to the vet is great, but it's not really giving helping to answer the question. This person isn't looking for "take your dog to the vet/get it spayed" they are looking for support. I was simply letting the OP know that support is non exsistant here, for breeding anyway. I was offering a more envolved anwer and advising the OP where support and informaiton can be found. It would be nice to be nice and not jump down peoples throat.

To the OP. I wish you all the best. Ignore the conflict.
Closed Thread