Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:01 AM

What dog food?

Hello all!

I am in dire need of some advice concerning dog food. I will not feed my dogs Iams, or Eukanuba and was wondering if anyone has good results with other brands. I have 3 large dogs, so maybe if I could get some suggestions about foods that are good quality, but a little cheaper than the natural foods.
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I have a great food for you pm me
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Is Solid Gold too expensive? It's $67 for 33lbs (CDN).
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...id=62&code=170

It's a double edged sword though- you get a better food, it costs more per bag but then you feed considerably less. You buy a cheaper food per bag and you feed more. It usually comes out to nearly the same in the end.

Otherwise, there is the food from costco that seems to not have corn or by-products in it... Kirkland?
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullLover
Hello all!

I am in dire need of some advice concerning dog food. I will not feed my dogs Iams, or Eukanuba and was wondering if anyone has good results with other brands. I have 3 large dogs, so maybe if I could get some suggestions about foods that are good quality, but a little cheaper than the natural foods.
I am not sure how much you are willing to spend but, the Big Bag pet store in London on Mt. Pleasant st. has some high quality kibble. I feed Canidae and have seen great results with it, but I also add in things every so often like yogurt, flax oil, etc.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey just tried the solid gold maintenance formula today. He only got a little bit because he already had had his meal. He devoured it right of way, then looked at me for more, which I gave because I am a bit of a push over, and he does it to me with those eyes. Next we will try the holistic formula to see how he likes it.

We still have half a bag of Pukanuba left so were gonna finish it first before switching him. However I am adding the Solid Gold Skin Supplement Powder to it for his coat and itchy skin and it seems to make him enjoy the Pukanuba a bit more.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Prin,

Right now Joey gets 1/2 cup twice a day 1cup total on Pukanuba. How much would that be if I fed him the solid Gold?

Old August 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Has he tried the Wolf King yet? If he likes the others, he'll love the Wolf King...

As for how much- it depends on the doggy... Jemma got 3 cups of Euk lamb and rice before and now she gets 2-2.5. Boo got 4.5 cups of euk and he gets about 2.5-3 cups.

Georgiapeaches, Canidae is a great food. Mind if I ask how much you pay for a bag?
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM

I feed wellness fish and sweet potato. All my dogs love it and thought it was a bag of treats when I brought it home!

Get samples first though, I hear alot of dogs dont like the taste of wellness and prefer innova or solid gold. (My one dog wouldn't eat either, picky picky dog!)
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Georgiapeaches, Canidae is a great food. Mind if I ask how much you pay for a bag?
You know I am not quite sure and we've been buying it for quite a while, I believe somewhere around the $50 range for a 40lb bag. We'll be going for another in about 2 weeks and I'll post the exact price then.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.CockersMommy
We still have half a bag of Pukanuba left so were gonna finish it first before switching him. However I am adding the Solid Gold Skin Supplement Powder to it for his coat and itchy skin and it seems to make him enjoy the Pukanuba a bit more.
Just a suggestion, if you have a half bag of the old food left, I'd start adding in the new food before he finishes it. That way you can slowly introduce the new food along w/ the old, minimizing tummy upset.

We've used Wellness samples for training. We're constantly training (class every week and practice at home), and as you all know, buying treats can get costly. I picked up some samples of Wellness to use and since Tucker doesn't eat it as his regular kibble, he doesn't know it's just kibble, he thinks it's something special. it works great, free tasty treats, that are good for him.
Old August 31st, 2005, 06:23 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Joey.E.CockersMommy]We still have half a bag of Pukanuba left so were gonna finish it first before switching him.QUOTE]

I wouldn't wait to finish the bag.Remember,when switching it has to be done gradually.So you will need to mix the old with the new....
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:41 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Sure we will do that and just mix it. I was actually just waiting until some of it was used up and just start mixing it.
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:43 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Prin=
Quote:
Yeah, the prices are american. Wolf King is $67 cdn for 33lbs

I guess its more economical to buy the 33lb bag than the smaller bag or does it make a difference.
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.CockersMommy
We still have half a bag of Pukanuba left so were gonna finish it first before switching him.
If you hate it so much to call it Pukanuba why don't you just donate it to a shelter or humane society and keep a little to switch him over?