Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 12th, 2004, 03:10 PM

has the name JRT changed??

I was looking up info on dog breeds on http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm and when i went to jack russell terrier it siad this-

Note: If you are trying to look up the american version of the Jack Russel Terrier, the name has been change to Parson Russel Terrier

So i went to the Parson russel terrier page and it said this-

*Note from AKC: The name of the Jack Russel Terrier was changed to the Parson Russel Terrier effective April 1, 2003 as requested by the Jack Russel Terrier Assosiation of America, which was changed to the Parson Russel Terrier Association of America

Is this true?? ive never heard of this until now, or is it only Effective for the AKC? Im confused
Old September 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM

I believe it's true, and I believe other national kennel clubs have also changed the name.
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Sheltie Mom

If I'm not mistaken, the PRT is the longer legged variety. The JRT is shorter and stockier.

Working JRT people were upset with what JRTs were becoming so they got them to seperate the breed. Parson Russells are the kinds you'd find at a dog show while the Jack Russell is what you'd find at a working trial.
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Hi AlphaSheltie. Here's the quote from the AKC: "*Note: The name of the Jack Russell Terrier was changed to the Parson Russell Terrier effective April 1, 2003 as requested by the Jack Russell Terrier Association of America, which was changed to the Parson Russell Terrier Association of America." I don't know if they're recognized by the CKC - I couldn't find any reference to them on the site. The Kennel Club UK also lists them as Parson, not Jack. I don't know if they can separate the breed like that. Aren't there two versions of almost any working breed (e.g. Labs) - a show variety and a field variety? We'd have twice as many of everything out there!
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Sheltie Mom

Hmm.. interesting.. I'm not all that sure really. I've been hearing that from a JRT friend of mine. I had a link that explained it in depth but apparently the site isn't working anymore.
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh gosh are you kidding me? What a weird thing to do!
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
Oh gosh are you kidding me? What a weird thing to do!
Thats what i was thinking!! why change a name people are so framiliar with?? I dont even know anyone who calls it a parson russel terrier(and apparently its already been effective for over a year )
Old September 13th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Although like most of you I am not entirely certain as to why the name was changed, I do know that Parson was the first name/title of the person the JRT is originally named for. The AKC has been working on changing its' name legally for over 2 years.
Murph's Mom
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

just wondering but someone here says the JRT used to be the tenterfield terrier, is that right, is it the same dog??
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Really?? Never heard that one before! No wonder these poor dogs are so hyper - they're having an identity crisis!
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

i just read that tenterfield terrier is similar to the JRT but are of slightly different. look the same to me, but apparently there is a difference.