Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM

City people that move to the country

For 9 years I've been lucky enough to live in the country where we had no neighbors and lots of forest surrounding us. This past year we've had 2 new neighbors build houses on either side of us. One left his lot pretty treed and has built his house although it's far from finished on the exterior. The other completely destroyed the land by removing almost every tree so that he could build his house which is also far from being finished on the exterior.

Bad part of this is before we were left stray cats and dogs usually around September from people leaving their chalets to go back to the city for the kids to start school. Now we seem to have 3 cats that have shown up and that are always in our yard and driving my cat and dogs nuts! We also had the neighbors dog in our yard doing his business on more than 1 occasion. I've screamed at the top of my lungs each time this has happened so that the neighbor will keep his pet where it belongs as I do with my lot.

Why do these people think that just because they move elsewhere there are no rules and they can do what they want?
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM

A co-worker had the same problem...secluded country living one minute, full set of neighbours the next. She was getting frustrated with the cats pooping in her garden, the kids leaving their bikes in the road, and was stressing when a bischon was left wandering around in coyote country. Once she calmed down a little, she invited everyone over for a BBQ and steered the conversation toward stories about coyotes running off with dogs and cats and small children , how it's so lovely to keep the area clean, etc. It wasn't magic, but it helped with some of the issues.

BTW, city neighbours do the same thing, it's that the people are inconsiderate, not where they come from...bet their old neighbours are breathing a sigh of relief!
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
-

Nice to see you back koalat

I'm one of those city person who moved to the country , and the first house was too close to neighbors so I moved ... in the the middle of corn fields to be sure nobody would build around me. First thing I did was fence the property , I'm the only one with a fence around here. It does look better without , but I want to keep my pets safe.

Maybe you could talk to your local paper , so they can do a small article on people who dump their pets in you area. :sad: