Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Question seeking advice and information

My 6 yr old collie/husky - Kiya - has not been spayed. Past episodes of heat have been uneventful. Recently she seems to have developed some swelling and discharge from two of her teets. She has been licking herself in this area quite a bit too - I am assuming it is because of the swelling. She allows me to examine the area and I have been able to express some milky substance from one of the teets. There has been no blood, there is crusting. Additionally, Kiya has had an episode of agression with one of the other dogs in the house. This dog, Zohie, has diabetes and is somewhat timid. I am very concerned about the behavious Kiya has exhibited recently and am wondering if it could be because of the swelling. Any information you have is welcomed! Thanks!
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Doggie Wench

Is there any chance she may have gotten pregnant?

If not, unspayed females have a 1 in 4 chance of developing mamary cancer. I'd suggest a trip to the vet asap. Her change in behavior can be due to any pain she may be experiencing.

Good luck and keep us updated after the vet visit .
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne1951 View Post
My 6 yr old collie/husky - Kiya - has not been spayed. Past episodes of heat have been uneventful. Recently she seems to have developed some swelling and discharge from two of her teets. She has been licking herself in this area quite a bit too - I am assuming it is because of the swelling. She allows me to examine the area and I have been able to express some milky substance from one of the teets. There has been no blood, there is crusting. Additionally, Kiya has had an episode of agression with one of the other dogs in the house. This dog, Zohie, has diabetes and is somewhat timid. I am very concerned about the behavious Kiya has exhibited recently and am wondering if it could be because of the swelling. Any information you have is welcomed! Thanks!
Most helpful would be a trip to the vet. I agree with luckypenny, 1 in 4 unspayed females can be prone to mammary cancer. I had an unspayed female about 20 years ago who developed a similar problem, it was actually found to be a "plugged" mammary gland causing all the problem and was quickly remedied by the vet. With the plugged duct, it allowed bacteria to grow causing bleeding and crusting.

Good luck and please be sure to let us know how you make out.