Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old February 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They like to have cover nearby in case a hawk comes by. They love platform feeders, but they used to come to our mesh feeders, as well. We've had good luck with black oil sunflower seed--all the birds seem to like it. The in-laws claim their cardinals in town go crazy for safflower, but we've never had much luck with it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
They love platform feeders
Those are the flat ones with the mesh/screen bottoms?

And black oil sunflower seed...do they sell them for human consumption or do I have to go to a pet store?

Oh, and there's a new page started...get posting pictures Hazel .
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, flat and usually some sort of mesh bottom so the seed doesn't stay wet if it rains...but it does anyway.

If there's a feed mill nearby, check there, first. We've gotten some great deals on BOSS at the local feed mills. We've also gotten it at the place we buy our dog food, Pet Food Plus. But we get the huge 50 lb bags...

Pictures, eh? I just happen to have a few ready Imagine that!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Starting out with American goldfinches...

Name:  bright goldfinch 2-13-10.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  Goldfinch 2-26-10 D.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  Goldfinch 2-26-10 B.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  58.3 KB

Old February 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And a few more...

Name:  Goldfinch 2-26-10 A.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Goldfinch on sumac 2-27-10.jpg
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  Goldfinch crop 2-26-10.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  40.2 KB

I think the hues of late winter oaks and goldfinches are lovely together

Old February 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

My little buddies, the black-capped chickadees...

Name:  Chickadee 2-27-10 B.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  Chickadee 2-27-10 A.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  Chickadee 2-27-10 c.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  33.5 KB

Old February 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Chickadees never fail to cheer me up

Name:  Hello 2-27-10.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  Cutie pie! 2-26-10.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  Yummy seed 2-26-10.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  56.6 KB

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The male downy seemed a little shy at first...

Name:  Peek-a-boo 2-27-10.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  29.7 KB

but then started mugging for the camera and showing off his lovely feathers. He had a lovely cap:

Name:  Don't you admire my red cap! 2-27-10.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  41.6 KB

And a handsome checked jacket:

Name:  Male downy mugging for the camera 2-27-10.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  27.4 KB

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And a strikingly barred tail:
Name:  Tail barring on a downy male 2-27-10.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  34.4 KB

Once the fashion show was over, he took off...
Name:  Male downy takes flight 2-27-10.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  35.1 KB

...under the watchful eyes of the neighborhood uniformed security patrol.
Name:  Mourning dove 2-26-10.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  68.9 KB
(Okay, so it's really a mourning dove... )

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Disturbing a white-breasted nuthatch while it was at lunch, the camera earns a displeased stare.
Name:  Novel view of a white-breasted nuthatch 2-27-10.jpg
Size:  39.1 KB

After the suet course, comes the seed course:
Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 2-26-10.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  54.8 KB

And finally, heading off into the sumac:
Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 2-27-10.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  30.6 KB

Last edited by hazelrunpack; February 28th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Daddy purple finch wasn't brave enough to come to the feeder while I was standing there...
Name:  Purple finch 2-26-10 A.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  46.9 KB
...but he did put on a bit of a fashion show of his own.

From the top you can see his purple back...
Name:  Take a bow 2-26-10.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  49.1 KB

...and from the side you can see the rest of his flashy purple suit.
Name:  Purple finch 2-27-10 A.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  25.4 KB

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A couple more shots of Mr Stunning Purple Finch...
Name:  Purple finch 2-27-10 B.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  Purple finch 2-27-10 C.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  34.0 KB

And, finally, a shot of my helper for that day, Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie, who was having a disappointingly clean fur day. She's really looking forward to mud season.

Name:  What the heck you doin' out there, Mom! 2-26-10.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  46.9 KB

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM
-

Stunning Hazel. What a way to start March ....I still don't understand why I don't get Purple Finches, according to my books I SHOULD

Your Goldfinches, as I mentioned earlier in another post are definately more goldened up than mine

LP - I buy mixed seed, Cardinals tuck into it no problem, it does have a lot of sunflower seeds in. The Cardinals I get use all kinds of feeders here, platform, tube and ground.....In WI that get spoiled by Hazel

Hazel - I was checking my books looking at Warbler's and didn't come up with any that were a brighter green in colouring ....help me
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Stunning Hazel. What a way to start March ....I still don't understand why I don't get Purple Finches, according to my books I SHOULD

They're mostly in areas with lots of trees. Once the subdivisions went in at Eau Claire, the purple finches disappeared from our yard there. We have so much forest out here that the purple finches have lots of habitat. Is it wooded around you? Or open farm/residential area?

Your Goldfinches, as I mentioned earlier in another post are definately more goldened up than mine

The fems are still pretty dull, but the males are starting to get some yellow and black on them now! There was a male singing an aria up in the aspen trees yesterday when I filled the feeders--it was absolutely breathtaking! I just stood there drinking it in for a while.

LP - I buy mixed seed, Cardinals tuck into it no problem, it does have a lot of sunflower seeds in. The Cardinals I get use all kinds of feeders here, platform, tube and ground.....In WI that get spoiled by Hazel

Hazel - I was checking my books looking at Warbler's and didn't come up with any that were a brighter green in colouring ....help me
Maybe a pine warbler? I don't know exactly where you're located, but pine warblers always look very green-backed to me... Many of the immature and fall warblers are greenish, though. Did you see one?

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:29 PM
Doggie Wench

Hazel, how far away form the birds are you when taking those photos? Holy smokes, what amazing shots! There's another book project for you, "Birds of Hazel Run, Wisconsin." Seriously.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Anywhere from 15 to 35 feet (about...umm...4.5 m to about 10 m). If is stand very still, they just come back to the feeders The neighbors, if we had any, would think I'm crazy, though--I spend a lot of time standing in the bushes with the camera

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM
Doggie Wench

Feet are good...I'm not used to meters .

Good thing you don't have any neighbors then .

My arms get sore just trying to focus the camera on the birds .
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have to admit, when the long lens is on the camera, the contraption is a bit heavy I have a tripod that's too cumbersome to use out there in the bushes, but if I'm expecting to be out there long, I also have an adjustable monopod that works great!

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
-

Quote:
Maybe a pine warbler? I don't know exactly where you're located, but pine warblers always look very green-backed to me... Many of the immature and fall warblers are greenish, though. Did you see one?
RE: the purple finches Hazel, maybe there is not enough trees around, we have them all along the fence line with the neighbour to the south, quite heavy but apart from that it is pretty much field, the bush is probably about 500ft away

RE: Warblers, no I haven't seen any

Feet is good Hazel, metres is ok but feet so much easier .....I am 5' 4".... in metres, no idea
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I thought Canada used metric? Or is that just for temps?

But good...I'm not very conversant in meters! LOL Feet and yards I understand pretty well, though.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
-

Quote:
I thought Canada used metric? Or is that just for temps?

But good...I'm not very conversant in meters! LOL Feet and yards I understand pretty well, though.
They do use metric supposedly ...but if you go to the store, it is listed as both...they still talk linear feet in wood and call a 2 x 4 as such even though it isn't 2 x 4

I would say overall, the older generation use imperial measurement as the norm.....I guess that means me
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Me, too. Although here it's mostly music that distinguishes us oldtimes from the youngsters.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
-

Quote:
Me, too. Although here it's mostly music that distinguishes us oldtimes from the youngsters.
I'm not really familiar with the music oldtimers listen too
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
-

Oh btw Hazel, you haven't posted any March birds yet ....I'm insatiable
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Haven't been out to photograph any. I'm still wading through the 400 prints I had done yesterday from February.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

saw the birds

I saw the pics of all the birds and couldn't resist.....I love chickadees!!!
Attached Images

Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
-

Cute pic Carolyn, I'm a big fan of Chickies too, I've never been lucky enough to have one eat out of my hand though.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
Doggie Wench

What a neat photo, Carolyn .
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Doggie Wench

Had I have known my chances were much higher at Costco than my yard to coming within a few feet of a bird, I would have brought my camera today .

Sweet little thing hanging out in the frozen food section . I'm hoping he made his way to the bags of bird food .
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

LP if you check out most of the big grocery stores they almost all have pet birds! they get in and they are reall hard to get out so they usually just leave them...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown