Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Exclamation House almost burnt down due to Peat Moss!!! Warning to all!

Hey guys.

A word of caution.

I was driving down my street and saw a fire truck. Thinking oh wonder whats going on. Looks close to my house. Really close to my house. Is that my house? no thats not my house? is that my house? Its my house!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD! All my neighbours were out and one obviously saw my face as I drove up and gave me the its ok sign. I get out and the fireman are pulling apart this wood flower pot that sits directly under my front windows. The side of its obviously producing smoke as I walk up to the firemen (yummy by the way) and asked um like what the hell???
Basically the previous owners had filled the pot with 100% peat moss. And as I understand it and as the fireman explained it peat moss can go through the same process as a compost hence why you have to mix it up occasionally.
Its an oxygen rich soil that when it rains or gets wet compacts it trapping oxygen within its self. That in turn the moisture and the breakdown of the peat moss by bugs and other bacteria causes more oxygen to be produced and trapped and when oxygen is rich enough I guess it gets hot then hotter. It got so hot it caught the planter on fire, literally on fire. The soil was smouldering hot and the fireman said it could have started a while ago but would have went undetected.

I realize my explanation is a little rough but its hard to explain. Just make sure you never use all peat moss, it should be mixed thouroghly with soil before anything.

To note meanwhile theres a big red fire truck in front of my house, firemen (did I say yummy) ripping down a pot that is practically right in the front yard, right under the window yet capone did not even get out of bed. I asked the firemen if the dog was bugging them and they said what dog.... I agree what dog??? They say pit bulls are bad guard dogs and boy do i have the proof!