Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Washing my cat too much?

What constitutes washing your cat too much?

I haven't washed her since the beginning of this month, and quit frankly I think I'm getting dandur ( was it?) in my eyes when she rubs on my face.

Plus I heard 6 months is a good amount between baths.

So ( for the sake of knowledge) would 7 days a week be harmful to a cat?
Don't worry, I'd wash mine once a month at most for good hiegene.

But I wanted to know what's too much.

For the record I have Hartz regular herbal shampoo. But I have yet to use it.

Thanks in advance,

Ibrahim
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

IMO,you do not bath or wash cats period,unless they poop on themselves.
My 14,13 and 8 yr old cats have never had a bath,they are selfcleaning,probably cleaner than people.
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

brushing should do it. I think i would rather dance with a cobra then bath Piper my cat.lol

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Before I finally became used to them, I used to bathe my cats. It helped keep the dander down and my allergies at bay. When Vlad and Oksana were kittens, I bathed them once a week, then worked up to once every two weeks and by the time Maks and Kiska came into our lives it was just once a month. That was for about 4 months. By the time Czari was finally inside I no longer had to bathe them. I'm finally to the point where I don't need to bathe them. I take allergy nasal spray and that helps.

I don't think washing them daily is good. You would likely wind up washing away any oils that are important for their fur and skin. Not to mention at one point they might get sick.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mickey, my angel

As other posters said, cats by nature do a good job of cleaning themselves and bathing them for purposes of hygiene is unnecessary and many do not recommend it. I don't bathe my kitties either.

That being said, there are reasons that some people do bathe their cats. I know in your case it can be helpful to do so due to your mom's allergies to cat dander. Bathing a cat too frequently will deplete the natural oils that are essential to maintain a healthy skin and coat and can actually increase the amount of dander produced.

You mentioned bathing your kitty no more than once a month. Once a month should definitely not be an issue. It is very important that all the shampoo residue is rinsed out. I'm not sure what ingredients are in the Hartz herbal shampoo but since it does not contain any flea pesticides it should be okay to use.

In between baths, you could wipe down your kitty with a cat dander cloth or a dampened microfibre cloth. If you can't find those, even a damp washcloth will likely be of some help.

Microfibre cloths or swiffer sweepers are also great for quick cleanup of hard surface floors and other hard surfaces to help remove cat fur and dander.

Also brushing your kitty often can be very helpful in getting rid of a lot of dander along with the loose hairs. You can brush her daily if you wish. Hope this helps.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Thank you very much, guys were more than helpful.
I do realize they clean themselves , which is why I don't feel obliged into bathin them, but as Chico stated, poop can be a issue. I never had any intention of cleaning my cat more than once a month, i asked just for the sake of knowledge lol.

But I'll try looking for micro fibre clothes, thanks for the tip mikishco!

And I have an update, I took nunu in, the doc prescribed "omyremi" ( something similar sounding) from an ANIMAL PHARMACY lol, I didnt know whe had one! Things are turning up. I have to. Wait another 2 weeks before I vaccinate, so I'll just wait till next months cash to pay that.

Anyhow, thebald spotsgotten a tad bigger, but I'll wait several days before I can say if I think the ointment is working or not.
Aaand, it's a hairball shampoo, not herbal lol, sorry, I think I'm dyslexic :/.

Thanks a bunch,

Ibrahim
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang