Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Smile Beagle that sleeps all the time and doesn't like being outside

I have a 6 year old beagle that i rescued. She came from a puppy mill. At the beginning when i first got her she had seperation anxiety issues but we have go threw those. NOw the thing is,is she sleeps all the time and its hard to make her go outside. She will head toward the door but then just run back into the room. ANyone have any suggestions why she sleeps all the time and doesnt like being outside or how i can help her

Thanks
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM

just make her go outside.

put her leash on, and drag her butt outdoors.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If this is a sudden development, there may be something physically wrong with her. Have you had her checked at the vet recently?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:56 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face i hope this is some help

hello housefreak13 (are you new?)

1 solution she has probably had a bad experiance (being at a cruel puppy mill of all places) and her way of escaping 'life' is to sleep. She will probably grow out of it

2 solution
check with your vet just to make sure. it sounds unbelievable, but i heard from a vet that a cat had a brain tumor and slept a lot because of it. sadly she died a year later, so check with your vet

3 soultion try feeding your dog outside, brushing her outside and playing with her outside, and entice her out with treats or toys. play with her and give her a lot more affection outside than you would normally give her inside (though inside don't ignore her completley) and asociate all good things with outside.

4 solution maybe not wanting to go outside is just a phase, maybe she feels safer inside. whatever you do, don't rush her. go at your doggie's pace only.

i hope i can be of some help

soter

I do!!
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigndano View Post
just make her go outside.

put her leash on, and drag her butt outdoors.

nobody can truly understand what is going on in a dogs mind. she could be scared, or anything. :sad:

she could just be lazy, or she could have a 'mental' bolck. give dogs time

I do!!
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM

if there is nothing in terms of a true threat, i dont see anything wrong with just saying "we are going outside now" and then taking her outside.

if she is scared of steps, carry her over them and just plop her on the lawn, start playing with her etc.

she'll probly get over it pretty fast.
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree w/ hazel. I'd head to the vet first to be sure it isn't an illness or injury. There could be a very good reason the dog doesn't want to go outside. when my dog was recovering from his injuries from an auto accident, he didn't want to go out the back door because of the 3 steps down to the yard. he couldn't do the steps well, and was still in some pain. definitely check w/ the vet first before assuming it's a behavioral issue.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Owned by goldens

Beagle

Was she ever outside while it thundered? One crack of thunder may have frightened her enough so that she doesn't want to go outside again.
I too would have her vet checked. A six year old dog should not be sleeping all the time. It could be a thyroid issue. Is she overweight?
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

The fact that she sleeps a lot is definitly cause for concern. As for outside (which is probably unrelated), coming from a puppy mill she may never have been allowed to go outside. Some beagles we get are so crate bound they have never seen steps or the inside of a house and must be totally rehabilitated and resocialized to accept these things. Make outside all about the positive. Feed her out there, give her treats, play with her outside, cuddles, whatever is happy happens outside. Coax her through the door with treats (don't know too many beagles that are not food motivated) and give her loads of praise when she accomplishes going through the door.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:32 AM

How long have you had her? Does she have spurts of energy, or just always sleeping? As hazel said take her to the vet rule out illness first. If she is found to be in good health a little firmness wont hurt ,but be gentle as these dogs can revert and you will have to start all over again. In time she will thank you for all your love.
I to have a mill rescue everything takes time.