Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old July 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Question moving kittys litter box

I was just wondering how to go about moving my cats litter box. She is only 1 years old but when I moved the litter box from the bathroom to the laundry room upstairs she stoped using the litter box. I showed her where it was numerous times but she continued to go in the bathroom and started going on the carpet. How do I move my litter box successfully from one floor to another?
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats are VERY much creatures of habit, and greatly resist change.

Here's what I always do. I leave the old litterbox in it's location, and put the new one where I want the cat to go. After the cat starts using the new one, I take the old one away. It will also help if you take some soiled litter out of the old box and put in the new one.

If you put the new one in a spot where there is a lot of activity, or the cat has to pass by a dog or go through a noisy place, like maybe a kitchen, it won't want to use the new box.

If the new box is on a different floor of the house, the cat might also resist. I suggest you might want to lock her in with her new box (if possible) for a day or so to retrain her.
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:41 PM

I've had to move my cats' litter boxes a couple times, I never really encounter any serious problems. The way I went about it was - I always made sure I did it when I could be home for a long time with them (i.e. weekend). I would continuously show them where it was. Both of my cats are like my shadow so I made sure I walked in and out of the room that now had the litter boxes so they would become more familar with that room.

I think the more relaxed they feel with going into the room that now has their litter boxes the more likely they will go there when they have to "go".

I did notice one time I had their boxes near the furnace and when the furnace first started up they were both very startled by the sound, as they weren't normally in the furnace room very much.

The cats always watched me when I moved their boxes also, I'm not sure if that helped them or not. Also, I would put them in the boxes after I had moved the boxes, like when they were kittens...I didn't just show them the boxes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sunkist/Winnie; July 14th, 2004 at 01:43 PM. Reason: poor wording
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't had any difficulty moving the litter, sorry. I did find though, when I do move it I keep it dirty, not like DIRTY, but some used litter and a little poop. Then I just take him to the new location and set him in the litter. He sniffs around and then walks away. That's it!!!
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM

When I first brought Tucker home, I had a small litter box beside my fride in my kitchen, nearby to his food/water bowls. My basement steps were kind of steep for a 9 wk old kitten. After about a month, he was bounding up and down the stairs no problem. I got a big litter box, filled it up with litter, and put it in the basement beside my stairs, and showed it to him. Within an hour he had used it, and it was that easy for me. The next day I removed the old one from upstairs and he has used his new big one ever since.
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Animal Lover!!

I've never had any problem with moving the litterbox, I just ensure to take both of the kitty's and ut them into it. But I agree it does help to have stuff in there, just so they get their own scent, and then it will seem familiar to them
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sneaky way to advertise your site Barkri12. Reported.