Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM

Question How responsive were your cats to orijen..

At first?

I got my first bag to today, drove a million miles to rens to get it, now my female and my youngest male actually tried it. My oldest male[18mths] seemed a little hmm not sure tried a kibble or two and walked away.

I realize, early days no worries i'm not giving up yet, just curious how others found their cats responding at first with this food.

I have tried some grain-free foods in the past, those being innova and core but the response there wasn't positive.

i'm really hoping this food works out, it seems to have many positives to it.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Furyland..I have had my 2 cats (both 11 years) on it for over a month...They are really enjoying it. The only troouble I have is some soft stools once in awhile but they appear to be eating it without any trouble..Considering I had mine on vet food previous which was horrible!! I am very happy with Orijen...My dog LOVES it too!!! The same trouble around here in supply. But I went to my regular Pet Valu store and he has found a way to buy it! I guess the company requires a large order amount?? Hope your family likes it!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM

I just bought my first bag today to and so far so good. I mixed a little in with Stixx's old food and she picked the Orijen out and left the old behind....she's the picky one. Forest will eat any dry food, just waiting to hear from Orijen on the crystal issue before I switch him...he got a few kibbles as a taste and cried for more.
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Agility Addict

Cats can be so fussy! I have literally been trying to get Minnow off RC Siamese for 4 years... Orijen is the only food that she's accepted (and by accepted I mean she eats enough to keep her going and we've tried all the premium kibbles and homeprepared diets)... Of course each kitty is different but Orijen is certainly the only food that has come close!!

Good Luck with your switch!
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston
But I went to my regular Pet Valu store and he has found a way to buy it! I guess the company requires a large order amount??

Do you know how your pet store found a way? I was just at mine today and they were told that the minimum order is $1000 so they haven't been able to order it yet. :sad: That's okay in big towns but in a small town it's a lot harder. I'm going to have to go door to door to convince people to try it.
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM

I have three cat (2 yrs, 1yrs and 11 weeks), I've had them on Felidae until recently and decided to try Orijen. Two of my cats will eat anything but our female is a little more fussy. But Orijen has been a huge hit. We actually refer to it as "kitty crack" since its the first time all the cats finish all their food. We're almost done our first bag and the cats love it. Felidae is a great food and I've always had great results with it, but since switching to Orijen the litter box is a lot less smelly and poops are smaller too. So I think we're going to stick with Orijen for now!

Good Luck with your switch!!
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM
Kitty Consort

I've just started with a trial-size bag of Orijen and two cats loved it, one kind of iffy. No problems with loose stools, digestion seems ok.
My pet store doesnt carry it, but can special order it for me.

I have a bag of Serengeti that I havent introduced yet, may do a gradual mix of the two.
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM

Yoshi absolutely LOVES Orijen. We made the switch quite some time ago from Wellness to Orijen and Felidae. I usually mix the two together, but last week I gave him one bowl filled with Orijen and a separate one filled with Felidae... when I came home from work, the Orijen bowl was completely empty (barely a crumb left) and the Felidae still relatively full.

Hope it works out for you!! btw, the two pet food stores I go to say that Orijen has been extremely popular and selling out regularly... so hopefully that will eventually result in more stores carrying it.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

My two seem to like it. When I brought it home i gave them each a few kibbles and they ate them right up, and I've been slowly introducing the orijen into their current food and I haven't noticed them avoiding the orijen, so I think all is going well. At first I though that the litter box was smellier, but I had a cold and my sniffer wasn't working right. The box is heavenly (well, as heavenly as a litterbox can be) So far so good.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

All 4 of my cats took to it right away. They all love it.

Cindy
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM

I've only given Luna 3-4 kibble bits to try - we're still finishing our big bag of EVO before making the switch again (EVO is great, but hooooey, the litter box smells! I hope Orijen is better in that dept.)

On the few bits she's had (twice), she sniffed, explored it, and when I broke one apart for her (she's a very thorough sniffer) she ate them up.
There's hope!
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:18 AM

~~UpDATE~~
The orijen, is going over pretty poorly, i'm afraid.

I'll continue to try since i went to alot of trouble & expense to get it BUT it's not looking like this will be a food option for us.

I'm going to try some California naturals and see if the response is better to it.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Agility Addict

Aww that's too bad! I hope you find the food that works for your kitties! Are they both not interested in the kibble?
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

My 3 cats freefeed on Orijen and Chicken-soup(easing out Chicken-soup),they also eat 1/3 of a can of wet morning and night.
In the beginning they were a little iffy about the Orijen,but now the bowl has been empty every morning,so I will stick with it from now on.
As for poop,I am not sure,one of them has kind of loose poop,I believe it's Vinnie,litterboxes are downstairs and I don't see who is doing what,but Vinnies white fur ever now and he tells a tale,I am keeping an eye on him,he is a little piglet though
Don't give up on Orijen too soon,of course if they don't like it,there is not much you can do,there are many other equally good foods out there.
When I tried Wellness Core(almost twice the price of Orijen)my cats tried one piece and no more ,WC has really tiny kibbles,like little pellets,I prefer something they have to chew.

Last edited by chico2; April 26th, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
My 3 cats freefeed on Orijen and Chicken-soup(easing out Chicken-soup),they also eat 1/3 of a can of wet morning and night.
In the beginning they were a little iffy about the Orijen,but now the bowl has been empty every morning,so I will stick with it from now on.
As for poop,I am not sure,one of them has kind of loose poop,I believe it's Vinnie,litterboxes are downstairs and I don't see who is doing what,but Vinnies white fur ever now and he tells a tale,I am keeping an eye on him,he is a little piglet though
Don't give up on Orijen too soon,of course if they don't like it,there is not much you can do,there are many other equally good foods out there.
When I tried Wellness Core(almost twice the price of Orijen)my cats tried one piece and no more ,WC has really tiny kibbles,like little pellets,I prefer something they have to chew.
My cats didn't like the Core either BUT my boys do like the wellness indoor, which is also rabbit pellet like Trouble is the girl doesn't.

I'll keep offering up the orijen since i have a 5.5lb bag but they aren't used to grain free, and my oldest male won't even take so much as a nibble.

Last edited by Furryland; April 26th, 2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Aww that's too bad! I hope you find the food that works for your kitties! Are they both not interested in the kibble?
Well the youngest male and my only female at least tried it, my oldest male wouldn't even do that, actually spit one out and walked away in disgust
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Holy Christmas Furryland, that sounds rough! Good luck... I assume you're being consistant for a couple of days. Luna didn't love the EVO right off but by day three was eating it along with her old Nutro NC.

Refresh me.... what are you switching them off of, and why - was it recalled kibble they used to eat? I'm blanking :footinmouth:
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Ragdoll Mom

My cats took to the Orijen quite easily. So for now all is well in my household

I am actually a little worried because I free feed the dry and they love it almost a little too much. I also feed them canned which I switched to the Wellness No grain at the same time as the Orijen. With all this recall stuff I am soo glad to say they are grain free cats now!!! I do have a little lose stool however that is probably just all the changes lately.

Good Luck with your kitties, I have no other recommendations as my previous food choices weren't soo good (Iams, Eukanuba, Royal Canin)

Kahula