Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old April 15th, 2005, 09:14 PM

Question Advice regarding euthenasia

Hello. I found this site while looking for advise on euthenasia and hope someone can help. I have a 12 year old cocker spaniel named Whitney who is blind, deaf and suffering from breast cancer. Until a few days ago she still had good quality of life - playing, wanting treats and just generally being her same old self. I spoke with the vet and he says it's time... My quetion is - would it be wrong to have my 19 year old cat (who has been her best friend and bed mate) put down with her? Whiskers the cat suffers from arthritis and with care and medication could possible live a little longer - or not. Am I selfish to want to imagine them together forever? I'm no silly kid - I'm a 52 year old widow who has no one who understands the true love you can feel for those furry 4-legged creatures, and their trust in you. Thankfully I also have a 3 year old American Eskimo my grandson named Angel and a stray cat who answers to Kitcat. Hopefully they will love and comfort me for years to come.

I'm so glad I found this site and feel secure in the fact that any advice regarding Whiskers would come from someone who treasures their pets as I do. This is not a decision which comes easily for me, and I've had to make before. When my husband passed away we had 3 dogs and 2 cats - within 6 weeks I lost my 21 year old cat, and Thumper (a 14 year old Springer) to old age, plus Shadow an 11 year old Cocker to cancer.

Any and all advise you can forward is appreciated. Judeeand
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM

It depends on quality of life. If the old cat is still happy despite her ailments, there is no reason to put her down yet. I feel that if you are in touch with your pets, you just know when it is time. It is a permanent decision and you have to think it through. Age doesn't matter, it's happiness and quality of life. Some animals do better on their own than you'd expect.
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I understand perfectly, since I was in exactly the same situation as you are in now.

If you want to PM me, feel free.
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I know how hard this decision will be for you - I was in it exactly one year ago today and am somewhat emotional today. I would ask my vet for his/her opinion on your cat's quality of life - with the medications - and without. Side effects affecting quality of life and if perhaps your cat has been holding on for your dog's sake, as has been known to happen. Since your cat is 19 and they are so close, it may well be that your cat will give up the fight to live naturally and pass away naturally shortly after your pup. Certainly kitty will look for her friend. The dynamics in the household will also change with your American Eskimo being the only dog - I know, I have a one year old Eskie and a cat who has moved to the dryer since our Dachshund died - not uncommon in homes with Eskies as you probably know. Eskie loves the kitty but is too rough. So I think you have to factor so many things into your decision. But I would start with my vet if you have a good relationship. I have gone to same practice for 25 years - with our primary vet being very understanding - she has gone through same decisions with her pets as well. I will be thinking of you and your puppy and kitty all day as I mourn my little guy. When I have had no choice but to euthanize a pet, I have sat on the bench outside - or in winter the car, and my vet has come out to pet the pup and discreetly given him a shot of a very strong sedative and then gone back in. I have waited where I was until my pet fell asleep and then taken him in for the final injection. Many other patients are now doing this - dog obviously knows something is up due to our emotions - hard to hide despite best efforts - but not exactly what that something is. Whatever you decide I know you will have your pet's best interests at heart - I am also in my 50s and look at things differently than I did.
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Kitty Consort

Hello and welcome to you!
This is a difficult question, for which there is no clear answer.
I certainly agree to talk to your vet for their guidance.
Given the advanced age of your cat, I can well understand why you are considering the idea of them going to the Bridge together, to make this last journey together.

Most of our cherished pets make this trip alone, but its very comforting to believe that there are loved ones there waiting for them,and that they will be reunited again.

The unanswerable questions - how much longer might the cat have, and how will she do once her lifelong friend is gone?

As even one year represents a lot in the life of a pet, I would tend to feel that if the cat is still enjoying a reasonable quality of life, let her enjoy all her days until her "own" health issues require intervention.

It may well be that she will decline quickly, or she may go on with the spirit and fortitude that has brought her to the ripe old age of 19.

Good luck to you in making this heartwrenching decision. You are obviously giving a lot of caring thought to this emotional issue. As you know and love your pets more than anyone, your heart and innner voice, wil ultimately lead you to the best path.
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Judeeand,If your cat is not suffering,has a good quality of life...I don't think it is fair to have her put down with your poor dog.I know we like to think they are going together,but it is to us what we like to hear,not really true..
They die and where they go after that,nobody really knows,do they?
Unless the cat is suffering,I would certainly give her more time,I know two 19yr old cats a friend of mine has,they are a little arthritic but otherwise really enjoy life.
It is possible she will go downhill after she loses her friend,but it is also possible she'll be fine.
Personally I would give her a chance,she could have another couple of years,but it's up to you to decide,you know your cat best and I beat you in age I am 61,the grandma on this forum
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Horrible Experience

I am sitting here crying my eyes out. I had my doxie put down today and it was a horrible experience. She had an IV for two days and the vet went to put the medicine in while I held her. She started yelping terribly. The vet then LEFT THE ROOM and went to get sedation. I was left with my half dead dog. I am thinking "What have I just done to my dog" It was horrible. I never want to go through anything like that again.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Laurawalker,first,I am really sorry for what your poor pup had to suffer
You should start your own thread,this one is from 2005...bad things can happen during your pets last journey,fortunately not too often