Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Trying New Food...to me

So....looking for your opinions on this new food that I am going to try for Sasha and Buddy. I am feeding them Eagle Holistic Select right now switching "flavors". The new product I am looking at is a Turkey/Salmon combination and is made in Canada. www.canadiansupreme.ca

Please tell me what you think. patti
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I would hold off on it until you find out if Sasha is Hypothyroid. This food has salt and it's fairly high on the list (above all the vitamins, minerals etc, which are not chelated), and, as Hazel educated me, the Vitamin k. I didn't know this until she told me, that there are different forms of Vitamin K. One form has been linked to cancer. You should ask her about it

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Robyn thanks for the comments. I did not even think about the salt in the product...I saw it but it did not dawn on me that it would affect Sasha if she is Hypothyroid.....darn guess I should return the bag....About the Vitamin K thing should I contact the company and ask if it is chelated or not...what does chelated mean anyway? thanks patti
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I would definitely email the company and ask them about the vitamin k, which form it is. If it's vitamin K3, stay away from it. It is also called Menadione. It's a synthetic form of vitamin K. After Hazel told me, I of course had to go online and research it a bit

As far as being chelated, that would actually be a good thing. It's for all vitamins and minerals. If the minerals are "chelated", they are more easily absorbed by the body, and much more beneficial (unless it's vitamin K3, then you don't want it absorbed! )

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ask the company what form of Vit K they use. As Robyn said , you want to avoid menadione (aka Vit K3): http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione. It's an artificial form of Vit K which has been implicated in a whole whack of diseases and conditions.

Chelated refers to the nutrient being attached to something to make it more readily absorbed by the body. Not all minerals should be in chelated form--I think calcium and magnesium are two that are absorbed better without chelation. You'd have to do some research to find out which should be chelated, though...I'm not up on all the details

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Chelated refers to the nutrient being attached to something to make it more readily absorbed by the body. Not all minerals should be in chelated form--I think calcium and magnesium are two that are absorbed better
See... I learn something new everyday here!
I was under the impression it was all! I guess I should do a bit more reading lol. Thanks!

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks Robyn and Hazel, after I read Robyn's message I took a quick look at chelated vitamins/minerals I now understand a little bit more about this. I will contact the manufacturer to see what kind of Vit K they are using. patti

OK, sent a message to the company.

Last edited by pbpatti; August 11th, 2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added more