Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM

so my dog won't eat kibble...

This might be classic but its a bit of a nightmare, my dog won't eat kibble. He turns his head at any kibble I've held out to him and holds out for stuff that is actually meat/tastes like meat. Unless my food is like 9 parts canned and 1 part kibble, he's not gonna eat it...argh
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Honest Contributor

smart dog

any reason you would not consider raw feeding?...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM

well I wouldn't mind sticking to cans too much...but his stool really isn't that solid and I think more dry food would help, that and I'm really not experianced enough to work on raw feeding but I might have to if I have no alternative.
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Honest Contributor

proper raw feeding normally produces wonderfully hard, compact, small and non-smelly stools, keeps the teeth bright white & gums healthy (can't say the same for canned foods!), plus a ton of other health benefits... if you want more info on "how to" - and it's INCREDIBLY easy! - let me know!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:24 PM

its worth a try, and I wanna see my dog happy, hit me.
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM

What canned are you feeding? If it's holistic, it could be that you're feeding too much. Try cutting down a bit to see if that helps.

Also, if it's a new thing, it could be that the doggy is just not fully adjusted yet. Or if it's an old thing, it could have ingredients the doggy can't tolerate (just like with some kibbles).

There's nothing wrong with feeding only canned. It doesn't make the teeth worse or anything if you keep the quality up.
Old April 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Your dog is just doing what works for him. If he doesn't eat his kibble you give him canned (bonus) and it's no big deal if he doesn't eat for a few days. For the most part his body and digestive system is made up like that of a wolf. Wolves don't eat a couple times a day, closer to a couple times a week, or when they can.
Here's what I would teach him...
Offer his kibble for 10-15 minutes and then pick up the bowl. If he eats it, good, if he doesn't, oh well. No treats if he doesn’t eat his dinner. He’s not going to starve himself, he will eat when he has to and he will learn that if he wants to eat he has to do it when you put the bowl down for 10 mins and eat whatever you put in the bowl.
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM
-

Maigrey...

1. What breed of dog?
2. How old is your dog?
3. What brands of kibble have you tried?
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Owned by goldens

so my don won't eat kibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypup
Your dog is just doing what works for him. If he doesn't eat his kibble you give him canned (bonus) and it's no big deal if he doesn't eat for a few days. For the most part his body and digestive system is made up like that of a wolf. Wolves don't eat a couple times a day, closer to a couple times a week, or when they can.
Here's what I would teach him...
Offer his kibble for 10-15 minutes and then pick up the bowl. If he eats it, good, if he doesn't, oh well. No treats if he doesn’t eat his dinner. He’s not going to starve himself, he will eat when he has to and he will learn that if he wants to eat he has to do it when you put the bowl down for 10 mins and eat whatever you put in the bowl.
I agree. Your dog will eventually eat what you offer him if he sees he is not getting anything else. He has figured out that if he turns his nose up to something you offer him, something tastier will show up in his dish. My mother has done this with all her dogs. Eventually it becomes a full time job trying to find something her dog will eat. She is retired and has the time but it is very stressful. I know this is not a problem with the dog but with my mother because this has happened with all her dogs.