Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM

I have a 4 months jack russell and he still does pipi and popo inside home

Hi, there

my problem is that my dog think that piping and poping inside home is good. We training him to pie on those daipers plastic things when he was a baby, so a month ago we started taking him outside for long walks to teach him to make pipi and popo outside in the street, but when he goes outside he does not do pipi or popo, he will rather make pipi on the training daiper when we come back from his long walk.

What can i do to make him do pipi outside on the street??

Thanks
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Banned Temporarily

Hello, I recommend not using the pee pads. It teaches the puppy that it is ok to go inside the home. Since it seems that this has already been done I recommend taking them from him or her. What I done was crate train my pup. She stays in the crate when I am not home and at night. At 4 months they do not have the ability to "hold it" when they need to go to the bathroom. So take him out every hour on the hour during the day and atleast one time at night when you are asleep. I use a timer to help me remember when its time to take my pup. When you take him out make sure that you give him the cue to go potty say go potty when your going to take him out and when you actually get there. Dont walk him around stay in a certain area and stay until he goes because he does have to go he just doesnt want to outside. Also dont play with him so that way he knows its not play time its potty time and take him in as soon as he goes. When he does praise him say good boy or girl and taking a treat would also help. When your in your home make sure that he isnt any where that you can see him. When you see him doing his potty dance like sniffing around or circling get him and take him outside to that desgnates spot. If you dont get to him fast enough pick him up and say no very firmly and take him outside even if he has completly gone to show him he needs to go outside. If you dont see him do it dont scold him, clean it up and use a pet cleaner like resolve to clean it up so the smell goes away. Its very difficult to potty train but remember he is still just a pup and cant control his bladder very well. and probably wont be able to completly till about a year old. Hope this helps!
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM

Have you done any crate training before? If not, it would be best to read up a little on it--even on the internet, so you get the whole picture. His crate is a valuable training tool if you make it a positive, peaceful place for him to be (don't put him in there for "punishment").

You already got some good advice, but I will add a few things.

You can help reinforce going in the chosen spot outside by always giving a small high value treat (and praise) immediately after your puppy goes in the right spot (especially on command). I like to use tiny pieces of cooked chicken liver or chicken. I know some people like to use little cubes of hotdog. Once he is trained to always go outside for you, you can wean him off the treats a bit, but until then, I really encourage you to keep a baggy of them in your fridge or something and ALWAYS bring them outside with you every time you take him out.

Stick to the same potty spot and always take him there on leash (go out with him).

When it's potty time, if he doesn't go in the right spot after a few minutes, take him back in and crate him for another 10min., then take him straight out to the potty spot again and repeat until he does go.

Keep in mind that playing puppies may need to go quite frequently, while a sleeping pup can usually go about 1 hour longer than his age in months.

Stick to a schedule--especially for feeding, and you'll find that he'll generally poop on schedule too. Take him outside first thing in the morning, after eating, after playing, after napping, etc...

Keep a close watch on him during the housetraining period--he shouldn't have free house roaming privileges yet. When you can't watch him or leash him to you, crate him. Crating him teaches him to hold it until he's taken outside, but never crate him longer than he can be expected to hold it at his age.

With mine, I use the command "empty!" to get them to do their stuff. You can choose whatever command you want, but always use the same command.

I'm not a fan of punishing him for going inside. I would just ignore it if he goes inside. He doesn't yet know that you want him to go outside even. So if he goes inside, keep in mind that it's your fault for not teaching him where to go or for giving him too much freedom or expecting him to hold it too long.

Hope that helps.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emie&Mila View Post
If you dont get to him fast enough pick him up and say no very firmly and take him outside even if he has completly gone to show him he needs to go outside. If you dont see him do it dont scold him, clean it up and use a pet cleaner like resolve to clean it up so the smell goes away.
Do not scold the dog for going to the bathroom in the house. If anyone needs scolding, it is yourself for not paying attention. Ignore the error and praise the positives.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
Banned Temporarily

I wasnt really meaning to scold him for going in the home yea its the persons fault they should have been watching. However, not doing something thats going to make him realize going in the house is wrong isnt going to make progress very fast. Saying no is just a simple way of letting him no its wrong. Yea all you would have to do was put him outside but that to me would take longer for him to catch on. I say no when they jump or bite its just a word that they learn to associate with stop doing something. Im not meaning start screaming at them and beat them till they get outside simply saying NO firmly will let the dog know and learn what no means. Which I think would also help with future training as well as speed up the potty training process. I dont really consider saying no as scolding.

AnneCS you made some very good points about the leash and always going out with them. I have a new foster dog that is housetrained already but was able to run out in the previous homes back yard to go potty and now that he is with me he has to be on a leash when he goes out and that has been a problem. I know have a retractable 16ft leash and it seems to work better.
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM

I wish I saw this thread again sooner... I think I have another way of looking at the scolding issue that will help you too Emie&Mila.

Even saying "no" is a bad idea though. I know it's hard to wrap your head around that one. I didn't get it at first either. Here's why...

The first problem with scolding for an accident is that the dog must be caught in the act. We all know that if you find a pee or poop later and scold them that there is NO connection to the act of relieving themselves indoors being bad... just that the pee/poop is yucky. (And they probably think so too!)

Here's the deal though--even if they get scolded while urinating or defecating (indoors), they'll most likely learn that it's bad to go pee/poop in front of you--all they know is it makes you angry. So, the next time they get the urge, they will make sure that you don't see it--when your back is turned or they'll go to another room to do it in privacy. And now your housetraining just got a lot harder...

To drive the point home--you should be right there, ready to reward them when they do go outside in the right spot--but how are you going to manage that when they're too scared to relieve themselves in your presence now? Even if you get lucky and they start catching on, it could be a confusing and stressful predicament for your dog for a while--sometimes they go and get scolded and other times they go and get treats and everyone is happy.

That is possibly why in your case, your dog won't go for you on leash--he has learned in the past that it's bad to go in front of someone. So instead of going outside when you want him to, you're telling him to go and he's holding it for all he's worth until he can get away from you. Unfortunately, that may mean holding it until you go inside and eventually he feels like he can't hold it any longer and the second you turn away or go to another room, he'll relieve himself. (Don't know if you've had any trouble like that yourself with him, but just a heads up if that is happening--it's really not his fault. He's probably as stressed out about it as you are.)

You need to teach him that going in front of you is a GOOD thing--in the right spot, so he should receive only positive attention and rewards for going in front of you (or, as crazy as it may seem, no attention if he does it indoors in front of you). Scolding him is a very bad idea in your case imo because you're going to have a tougher time teaching him to go where you want him to on leash--in his mind, if he goes in front of you, there's a good chance you'll be angry--he can't tell if you're going to be in a good mood or bad mood about this one. And assuming you have poop and scoop laws, it's great to be able to have your dog do it right next to you even for that reason alone!

All of those tips I posted all work together--along with not punishing an accident indoors. It's too risky to scold imo--your dog may not interpret your scolding the way you're intending him to and that will set your training back.

Hope that helps too! Best of luck!