Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 11th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Abcessed tooth in old cat

I took my cat to the vet today and she showed me a back molar that is abcessed. The tooth is brown and decayed and looks horrible. My cat is 22 years old and very fragile and sweet. My question is; shouldn't she have the tooth removed or some other treatment besides antibiotics? I am worried that she is in a lot of pain and probably has been for a long time. I have to go out of town for a week in a few days and can't even give her the antibiotics? Would anyone have any advice on what to do for her? I didn't even think to ask more questions of the vet. Thank you!
Old December 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Can she not extract the tooth and give the cat antibiotics? That makes the most sense to me or else your kitty will be in pain for some time. Probably, the best course is give her (the cat) the antibiotics (so it will be better when the extraction takes place) and then a few days later do the extraction.

But do it ASAP if you do noty want your kitty to be in more pain!! Think what you would want your caretaker to do if you were 100 plus (thus fragile) and suffering!!
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a tooth extracted on a 16yr old cat,he was also diabetic,but came through the extraction fine.The antibiotics were given after,not before..
22 is a ripe old age for a kitty,if she's otherwise healthy the vet should extract the tooth...I've never had a cat live to be 22 and I do not know what condition she's in,but if she's in pain,she must be helped.
Since you have to leave for a week,maybe your vet could board her and make sure she's ok.
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I had dental surgery done once and was given antibiotics to take 3 days before. Didn't have any infection, but just a precaution I guess.

Glassgirl, just curious - what does your name mean?
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I would have the tooth removed. Your cat would be under anesthesia for only a few minutes and they will use a "lite" sedation. Infected teeth come out so easy...it's like they want out..heathly teeth are a pain to remove.

She will need anitbiotics for a few days at least, but once the infected tooth is gone her risk will lessen greatly.

At 22 years of age...she is a survivor, help her out.
Old December 11th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

My 20 year old cat had a tooth extracted. As long as your cat is in fairly good health, she should come through it o.k. What do you mean when you say she is "fragile"? Does she have health problems?

Just make sure the vet uses Isoflurane anesthetic, and I actually think they have something even better now. This does not permeate the organs and animals wake up from it easily without lingering effects.

Give the old gal a hug from us.