Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Bsf

omg im at my wits end! my dog calisto, who is almost 2 wont stop submissive/excitement peeing! she does it with both me and my fiance. i thought maybe it was him that was the problem, but now im starting to think its me. she has doen it a lot lately. it seems to be when she thinks she's in trouble mostly. she als ohas separation anxiety. she goes pee sometimes when we just get home and she's excited then crawls and pees. i hv tried trainign her and i know she is a very smart dog, but she does not listen to me most of the time. i tell her to come here when i let her outside and she wont come unless i call her several times, and i thought u were onl supposed ot ask her once. ive read up on this for months. i hv tried to pt her in a room by herself for a few mins then coem bk and ignore her unless shes calm, ive tried washing up with solutions, cleaning it up when she's not looking, etc. she only pees in the dining room most of the time, bt has also peed twice in our bedroom, right when i get up or we were about to let her on our bed (which we stopped letting her sleep with us 2 months ago). i dotn htink its a bladder thing at all, bc she only does it in front of us. she has also had a lot of chngs in her life. we had a cat, dont hv one anymore, he lived outdie for a few months, and her first owner had her in bad conditions were she was in a tiny pen with several other dogs and the man was crippled so he pulled thme by their legs to get them. and then a few motnhs ago when it started getting bad is when she was no longer allowed ot sleep on our bed or go on couch wthot "asking". and she went pee outside by herself. if she doesnt trust me right now, how do i know and how do i gain that bk? how do i get her ot listen to me? im very stressed out about this. i train her everyday and hv next to no progress. please help!
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi BSF,

First of all, I need to highly reccomend that you seek out a proffessional dog trainer to help you with your pet. There's only so much as owners that we can read on the internet or in books, and a trainer will be able to pinpoint exactly what needs to change and tell you how to do so.

With that said, as far as her submissive peeing goes - because you say she also has seperation anxiety and many changes in her life - this leads me to believe that you have an insecure dog on your hands who is naturally submissive. This is not a bad thing, it just means that you may have to start doing a few things differently.

Number one - stop talking to her. When a puppy is born, it's first physical trait that it uses is its nose. It uses this to find it's mother, and locate its other siblings.
Many times our voice can trigger the dogs need to show you submission.

Secondly, I would suggest not making eye contact with her AT ALL when she first see's you and your fiance. Eye contact is something that can really intimidate a lot of dogs, and if your girl is already trying to show you submission, you need to stop looking at her directly until she calms down and comes to you.

As far as recall goes, it's true - you *should* only have to call your dog once. However you can't expect her to have great recall if this isn't something you have properly taught her to respond too. If you have only had her for a few months, your bond may also not be as strong as it needs to be.

I really reccomend finding a trainer in your area that can help you progress. I'm sure some others will have more tips for you. Good luck!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Submissive pee-ers are actually fun to train. I have had a few of those including the one that I currently have (my own).

As Bailey says - do not make eye contact. As hard as it may be do not greet her at the door - ignore her completely. Take your shoes off, get a glass of water and then go back and get the leash to take her out. Do not say a word.

If the dog submissive pees while you are putting on the leash try this. Take her favourite toy and distract the act with an object. She will get excited about seeing the item and loose the urge to squat - she can only do one thing at a time. While you have the toy that she wants so bad, leash her and go outside. Once outside bring her to the same spot to eliminate, then praise. Have a good fun brisk walk - as this will build her submissive behaviour. Make it fun.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:02 AM

BSF -more problems

thank you for the commnets! ok the problem is bad again. it went away for awhile and now is worse than ever. i hv had her a yr and a half actually. the reason i think it is me is because i get so nervous and anxious when she doesnt go to the bathroom when i tk her out, that she has taken to holding it in, and has been now havign several accidents. she always pees in front of us, and never without, but she does poop in the house, at least recently. she even submissive pooed on me today, if there is such a thing. it was weird. i had just taken her out an hr b4 and she did both. then we were playing fetch and she went right on the floor. in addition to reading up on this stuff i hv consulted my godfather who has been a dog trainer and breeder for over 30 yrs. the submissive peeing has actually stopped tho, now she's just having so many pooping accidents, everyone of them when we r not in the room excpet for today.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If she is sensing your anxiety when you have her outside, it will make it very hard to properly house train her. She won't understand the reason for your anxiety, just that you are anxious about something, which puts her on high alert too. You say that she doesn't pee unless you are there - how do you know? If she thinks that you get upset when you see her waste, she'll hide to do it. She's not thinking about where she has peed/pooped - but rather that you are upset at seeing it so she'll try to make sure you don't see it.

I agree with the suggestion of a trainer, one that will actually come and observe you and your dog. There are lots of things that can effect how well your dog responds to you. I have seen many people that complain their dog won't come to them - sometimes its a case of the person not being as interesting as the smells on the fence, or if the person has called their dog to them only to punish them, etc., etc. No training method works the same way for every dog - and a professional trainer will be able to determine what motivates your dog and how to work with her using those motivations.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

You need to calm down.

You have a highly sensitive, insecure and fearful dog who reads your every breath. CALM DOWN.

First you need to teach her to 'stand' on command. Most people teach a dog to 'sit' calmly for greetings. You need to teach her to stand calmly for greetings. If she is standing properly she can't pee or poo because her body is in the wrong position.

Yes - ignore her when you come home. Be too busy to even notice her for a while. Have her 'stand' when you put on the leash. Take her out in a 'matter of fact' attitude and when you are outside and she has pottied then you can greet her CALMLY and lovingly. No high energy.

She is here to teach you patience and understanding. Problems like this can test our resolve - you must exercise every ounce of patience you have and never run out.

This dog also needs to have a huge vocabulary so that you can help build her confidence. She needs lots of fun jobs to do so that she can feel good about pleasing you with her brilliance.

Right now she is lost - she wants to please you so badly but is very afraid and doesn't know how to connect with you except to offer herself up in the most appeasing manner she can. Never get mad at her for soiling in front of you. She is actually doing what puppies do to show the pack that they are not a threat.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended

Tags
submissive peeing and sa