Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Feline Herpes plus allergies?

Hi,

My cat was just diagnosed with Feline Herpes along with Allergies(unknown to what) and Anal Gland Infection.

She has been given antibiotics for the infection along with Starting her on Llysine for the herpes, The Vet has also Changed her to a dental food as her teeth roots are rotting(from the herpes according to the vet) and wants to put her on CT Support and O Fend Oil(I think is what it is called). I was also given a Cream to put on her bumps caused from her allergic reactions.

My Cat takes the Llysine without a problem she'll lick it off my finger. The vet suggested that I use wet foot to give Asia her Ct Support and the oil, only problem is she doesn't like nor will she eat wet food. I've tryed offering her the oil on my finger but she licks a little then walks away and won't touch it again.

What I was hoping for is some suggestions on how to get her to take the oil and CT support, along with any Information on Feline Herpes, I've tryed to google it but without much luck. What I'd like to know is what the cost will be in treating it, along with what her quality of life will be.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Angeli, welcome to pets.ca! Your kitty is gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
My cat was just diagnosed with Feline Herpes along with Allergies(unknown to what) and Anal Gland Infection.
Feline rhinotracheitis (aka herpes) is actually pretty common in cats. How was she diagnosed? Does she have any upper respiratory issues like runny nose and eyes? Here is a link on FVR: http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+1348&aid=210

What allergy symptoms does she have (itching, fur-mowing, digestive upset)?

Quote:
The Vet has also Changed her to a dental food as her teeth roots are rotting(from the herpes according to the vet) and wants to put her on CT Support and O Fend Oil(I think is what it is called).
Along with the lysine, there are a couple of things you can do to boost her immune system. Reduce stress as much as possible, so keeping a predictable routine if feasible, minimizing stressful interactions with other pets and people, keeping her environment relatively calm. But the biggest factor is going to be feeding a healthy diet, and I have to say that the prescription dental food does not fit the bill. It's actually got pretty horrible ingredients and is not appropriate for an obligate carnivore. I know you said she won't eat wet food, but what brands/flavours have you tried, and how have you introduced them? What does she normally eat? Would you be interested in trying a raw food diet? That would be the best for both her immune system and her teeth. Here is a link for you to read on the topic of feline nutrition, and why dry food is so not a good option for cats: www.catinfo.org

I'm not sure what the O Fend Oil is, do you have a list of ingredients? (sorry for all the questions)

Quote:
I was also given a Cream to put on her bumps caused from her allergic reactions.
What's the cream called? It would be a good idea to scrutinize any detergents or cleaning products that you use around the house and eliminate anything with perfumes or pine or bleach. Essential oils are also a no-no. What type of cat litter are you using? Dusty perfumey clay type litters can exacerbate respiratory problems, and some cats have allergies to the wheat or corn litters.

Quote:
What I'd like to know is what the cost will be in treating it, along with what her quality of life will be.
She absolutely can have a long, healthy life. As for cost, the best investment you can make is going to be a quality diet (so nothing from the vet clinic). That will help with not only the herpes, and quite likely the allergies, but also her anal glands, her teeth and her overall health.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; April 17th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Thank you.

Quote:
Feline rhinotracheitis (aka herpes) is actually pretty common in cats. How was she diagnosed? Does she have any upper respiratory issues like runny nose and eyes? Here is a link on FVR: http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+1348&aid=210

When I got her she had deep redish brown discharge from her eyes which we attempted to treat with tetracycline (didn't clear it up and seemed to really hurt her when using it) with us just wiping the discharge away it seem to go away, she also had small amounts of black build up in her nose once in a while but never bothered her.

I ended up taking her to the vet this time as she had small bumbs on the back of her leg which she had licked the hair away from the vet told us they were caused by an allergy. While we were there they found the infection in her anal glands, and the Red line along her gums and the fact her front teeth are missing/falling out (they were like that when i got her and we had asked them about it before, I just put it to the fact she was a rescue cat found outside that she must have been injured somehow) and with us bringing up the discharge she gets, they told us she had Herpes.

Quote:
Along with the lysine, there are a couple of things you can do to boost her immune system. Reduce stress as much as possible, so keeping a predictable routine if feasible, minimizing stressful interactions with other pets and people, keeping her environment relatively calm. But the biggest factor is going to be feeding a healthy diet, and I have to say that the prescription dental food does not fit the bill. It's actually got pretty horrible ingredients and is not appropriate for an obligate carnivore. I know you said she won't eat wet food, but what brands/flavours have you tried, and how have you introduced them? What does she normally eat? Would you be interested in trying a raw food diet? That would be the best for both her immune system and her teeth. Here is a link for you to read on the topic of feline nutrition, and why dry food is so not a good option for cats: www.catinfo.org
I was feeding her Iam indoor weight control hairball food, before they told me to change to the dental food, Today is the first time she has actually ate wet food so I'm hoping I can get her to keep eating it, I've read the artical you posted and I'm going to look into it more. I have tried her with fancy feast (as thats what my last cat would eat) I just bought a package of Wiskas chunks to try her on, and she currently is getting the can the Vet gave me to try her with (Hills w/d)

Quote:
I'm not sure what the O Fend Oil is, do you have a list of ingredients? (sorry for all the questions)
Sorry it is called Omega-Fend it has Flax oil sourced from canadian flax seed, lecithin, Vitamine E, Rosemary extract

Quote:
What's the cream called? It would be a good idea to scrutinize any detergents or cleaning products that you use around the house and eliminate anything with perfumes or pine or bleach. Essential oils are also a no-no. What type of cat litter are you using? Dusty perfumey clay type litters can exacerbate respiratory problems, and some cats have allergies to the wheat or corn litters.
Otomax is what the cream is, We haven't changed anything since we got her, the vet thinks it has to do with something outside that is causing her reactions (though she is a indoor cat only), I am using Maxx Scoop Multi cat small spaces cat litter for her. We don't have much with perfumes as both myself and my mother have allergies to scents.

Quote:
She absolutely can have a long, healthy life. As for cost, the best investment you can make is going to be a quality diet (so nothing from the vet clinic). That will help with not only the herpes, and quite likely the allergies, but also her anal glands, her teeth and her overall health.
I know Wet food is the best for them but what type of Dry food is the least bad for them, and what wet food would you suggest?
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thank you, I did respond before but it never seem to post it for me.

Quote:

When I got Asia she had deep redish brown discharge from her eyes that we treated with tetracycline (we stopped as it seemed to really hurt her) and with us just wiping the stuff away it seemed to go away, she also had black discharge from her nose once in a while.

The way she was disgnosed this time was we took her into the vet to look at some bumps on her back leg(she has had some on her chest we treated with Otomax but we weren't sure if it was ok to use where she could really lick) which they have told us it is caused by allergies.

While we were there they found the infection in her Anal Gland which is being treated with antiboitics; Along with a red line along her teeth which they tell me is that they are rotting caused by the herpes and the fact she is missing some of her front teeth(She has been missing them since we got her and I asked about it when we first took her to the vets I just marked it do to her being a rescue that at somepoint she had been injured in the mouth)

With us brining up the discharges from before they diagnosed her with Herpes

Quote:
She has actually started to eat the wet food and will with the CT Support on it but won't touch it with the oil on it. She is currently eating Hills w/d can food I have bought a whiskas chunks to try her with. I have tried her on fancy feast as that is what my last cat liked but she wouldn't touch it.

I was giving her Iams indoor weight control hairball food before the dental diet, I have read the site you linked and I am interested in it but I want to look into it more before commiting to a complete wet diet.

Quote:
I'm sorry it is called Omega-Fend, is has flax seed oil (canadian Flax seed), lecithin, vitamine E, rosemary extract.

Quote:
The cream is Otomax, We haven't changed anything since I have gotten her and there is no worries about perfumes in the house as both my mother and myself have allergies to scents.

I use Maxx Scoop multicat small spaces clumping Litter, I don't find it dusty or scented again I've had to try different one until I could find one I could use in the house do to people allergies (I tested out with my first cat)

Quote:
I know the Wet food is the best diet but which Dry food is the least bad for a cat, and what wet foods do you recomend?

thanks