Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

The Third Secret - by Steve Berry

Hi all! I noticed there was a post here for The Da Vinci Code and I felt the need to post this recommendation.

I read both the Da Vinci Code and this book, The Third Secret, back to back, and I have to say the latter is by far a much more interesting book in my opinion. It is similar to DVC in that it is about a secret that could potentially change the face of the Catholic religion.

Here is what Amazon has as a short summary:

Set in the near future, Secret introduces Jakob Volkner--Pope Clement XV--a German "caretaker pope" who, nearing the age of 80, was elected as John Paul II's successor. But three years into his papacy, the thoughtful Clement has begun to quietly express skepticism about papal infallibility and the Church's restrictive dogma, and to make odd requests of his longtime secretary, Monsignor Colin Michener, an Irish-born but American-reared priest whose vows of celibacy have been tested--and found wanting. Clement has also made repeated visits to a guarded sanctum within the Vatican archives, where sacred and historic documents are stored. And he's dispatched Michener to Romania to locate an elderly cleric who, in the 1950s, translated three cryptic prophecies, purportedly offered by the Virgin Mary in 1917 to a trio of children in Fatima, Portugal. Those secrets have since been fully disclosed to the world. Or have they? That’s the question facing Michener in the wake of Clement's shocking suicide, as he pursues a twisted trail of clues, crimes, and religious forecasts from Rome to Bosnia to Germany, accompanied by his former lover, journalist Katerina Lew. But making any additional secrets known to the world will put Michener in confrontation with doctrinal reactionaries, led by Cardinal Alberto Valendrea, the Vatican's Italian secretary of state, who's determined to follow Clement as the Vicar of Christ--even if that requires inventing a few new sins and flouting a 900-year-old prediction of doom for the next pope.

I took this book with me on a long weekend, that last long weekend I actually spent anywhere other than my apartment. I couldn't put it down. I finished it in 2 days. I remember thinking, how I would have preferred they had made a movie about this book instead of Da Vinci Code.

If anybody decides to read it, let me know what you think.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/