Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 12th, 2004, 09:53 AM

dog on drontal, side effects?

i am waiting for my vet to open in an hour but need some answers on what potentially can be wrong.

yesterday tyson went on drontal. he is 90 pounds (8 years old) and has tapeworm. well last night as he slept, he pooped (well, it more like diarhea) himself on his bed. well, then this morning he had diarhea again, twice, on the floor and also threw up on several occasions.

could this all be a side effect from the drontal?? like i said, the vet opens in an hour so they will be getting a visit from me but i need to be informed as possible!

thanks for the help!
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

here's a site about it

http://www.medi-vet.com/DrontalPlusCanine.aspx

We have found with some of our young dogs that the deworming process can cause vomitting and diareha. Hope this site helps a bit.
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I have never seen any problems from using Drontal..(except a thinner wallet)

He needs to be seen by the vet...sounds like something else is going on.
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM

well, now i am really getting worried. i took tyson to the vet and the vet really didin't do anything. he said that he probably got into something that he should not have and to not let him eat or drink anything for 6 hours. That was sunday.

it is now tuesday and tyson still has diarrhea. everything he eats goes right out. and it's not like he's really eating either. he normally eats about 3 cups of food a day. he hasn't even eaten 2 cups total since sunday. he IS drinking water fine at this point.

he isn't throwing up anymore-and hasn't since sunday.

i realized that my husband had given the dog a prednisone pill on saturday afternoon for his allergies. i asked the vet if maybe this mixture of prednisone and drontal could have been the culprit for his diarrhea. vet said no, probably not.

ok, but here is the strangest thing. we are trying to limit his food intake to DRY food. but i gave him some boiled chicked breast yesterday and he ate it right up. but when i tried to feed him dry food again, he stuck his nose up to it.

he is still very active, we played ball this morning no problem, and still gives me his happy smile in the morning before we go outside.

please help! i will let you know what our whack vet says this morning. then i'll tell you what another vet said...
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM

update

vet says pepto bismol and to feed him small amounts of boiled chicken and potato or rice on several intervals during the day. thank goodness i am working from home right now so that i can tend to this schedule!
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
<-----nut ball

Prednisone is known to affect people and animals in strange ways.

I have taken it several times, and each time it completely screws up my body! (it made me loose my "monthlies" for three months, and that never happens to me!)
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Pet Lover Extraordinaire

It does sound like the deworming process is upsetting Tyson's digestive tract quite a bit... but the vet's suggestions sound reasonable. Sometimes the upset is self-perpetuating, so removing food altogether, and then gradually adding in small amounts of very bland, easy to digest foods (boiled chicken and rice) will help "reset" his tummy. If Tyson has been off his food for a few days, there is no reason to panic. This is not a serious health risk for an otherwise healthy, adult dog. As long as he is well hydrated (still drinking plenty of water, and keeping it down) and active (not becoming lethargic) there is no immediate concern. Eventually, of course, you will want to switch back to dog food, but do it slowly and don't be surprised if Tyson prefers the home-cooked diet!
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:03 PM

tyson has had several mini meals of boiled chicken and potatoes and i have to say happily that he is definately not lost his appetite. in fact, he sees me at the stove and he stands with a big smile waiting for more.

his stool seems to be getting harder, luckily. and he is happy as can be on the new diet!

so thanks for all the input and help! i was nervous for awhile-so much that he got a new sweater today! (one that matches one of my husband's sweaters down to the color and stripe in the center! my husband seemed quite pleased and excited to wear their sweaters together out in public!)

we are a happy household once again!
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I doubt the deworming had anything to do with this...Please stick with a bland diet and consult your vet!
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM

Unhappy Same Problem as sujean

I am experiencing the same problem with my 8 month old rottie - she has tapeworm and was given Drontal and it was given to her on Saturday evening - well today is Tuesday and she still has very loose bowl movements - vet told me that if it did not stop in two day to bring her in - she is still drinking and eating normal and has normal activity...not sure what to do??????