Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old April 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats GF, Roo is a star. I have to admit that I am lax (okay that might be an understatement) at practicing our obedience work with the pups. It's just so darn hard to get one out and not the others. DH is no help at all. But that's okay, we'll manage, Nikki still gets it.

Shadow was attacked by a GSD when she was young and never trusted them her entire life. You wouldn't think dogs could distinguish breeds would you, but she could spot a GSD from a mile away.
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Come on, DD. 10 minutes per dog, and look at the benefit. I can believe that dogs recognize other breeds, and their own, I see it time and time again. I think Shadow and Roo would probably get on and they could start up a 'let's hate GSDs' club. LOL. My hubby helped me a bit when I was showing but obedience doesn't interest him. My sister is lucky, her hubby supports her every inch of the way where obedience and tracking is concerned. I think it could be tricky showing Roo, it's usually crowded and not a good scene for a reactive young wannabe alpha dog. Wouldn't be so bad if he was into sly looks and sneaky attempts at attacking but no, it's all hackles up and the most ferocious growling. Must make any other male dog want to take him down a peg or two.
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad you ran into an instructor who understood his needs, GF!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, and it's a shame she was only a visiting instructor. Here's the boy showing off his first graduating ribbon. (Which he wanted to eat.)
Attached Images

Old April 29th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Roo!
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:48 AM

Well done Roo , first of many ribbons

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

whoot whoot Way to go, Roo! (But not the eating the ribbon part )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope the rest of his training goes as well as the first part has, but I fear we have a rocky road ahead of us. My sister tells me boys are harder to train than girls.
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:33 AM

Congratulations to both you and Roo. I don't blame him for wanting to sample, that's a pretty tasty looking ribbon.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, ownedbycats. It might be quite some time before we can earn him another ribbon, but we'll try.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Thanks, ownedbycats. It might be quite some time before we can earn him another ribbon, but we'll try.
I'm sure he will make you proud(er) sooner than you think

Congratulations Roo!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Roo! You is a star. GF, he's going to go far with you in his corner.
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Coinciding with his shift up into the new class at Obedience today, I am thinking Roo might need to go into a big cage for travelling, and next weekend he'll definitely have to borrow Jarrah's correction collar. Boy, is he growing fast now! Has all bar a couple of his permanent teeth.
Well, he travelled just fine today, because yours truly remembered to open the windows for him. If I forget he starts the drooling. He didn't actually fly at another dog, which is great. He decided the shepherd pup is nice, found out she was a girl you see. He told me the Kelpie girl might be in season soon, he liked her too. The owner of the GSD puppy annoyed me. It is unregistered and she's talking of breeding from it before she has it desexed. I told her she should take a look at how many GSD litters there are, and how many pups in them. Her puppy came from a litter of 12. They are finding it hard to cope with the mouthing of their hands that it is doing, it hasn't lost any baby teeth yet, so how will they cope if, later on, they have 12 babies to cope with.
Oh, the Sibe that Roo doesn't like was bought to class by the mother of the girl who owns it and unfortunately it got away from her in the carpark as she was about to leave, took off out into the traffic, ignoring her of course. So, I gave a rousing "Puppy! Puppy!, Puppy!" and, thank God, it came over to my car and I had it cornered seeing my front door was open and there was a car next to mine, and caught it for her. What a relief that Roo was already in the car, or it'd be on!
One geuss who needs a good comb out? Jarrah looks like a moth eaten carpet now she is dropping coat. LOL.
Attached Images

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Coinciding with his shift up into the new class at Obedience today, I am thinking Roo might need to go into a big cage for travelling, and next weekend he'll definitely have to borrow Jarrah's correction collar. Boy, is he growing fast now! Has all bar a couple of his permanent teeth.
Well, he travelled just fine today, because yours truly remembered to open the windows for him. If I forget he starts the drooling. He didn't actually fly at another dog, which is great. He decided the shepherd pup is nice, found out she was a girl you see. He told me the Kelpie girl might be in season soon, he liked her too. The owner of the GSD puppy annoyed me. It is unregistered and she's talking of breeding from it before she has it desexed. I told her she should take a look at how many GSD litters there are, and how many pups in them. Her puppy came from a litter of 12. They are finding it hard to cope with the mouthing of their hands that it is doing, it hasn't lost any baby teeth yet, so how will they cope if, later on, they have 12 babies to cope with.
Oh, the Sibe that Roo doesn't like was bought to class by the mother of the girl who owns it and unfortunately it got away from her in the carpark as she was about to leave, took off out into the traffic, ignoring her of course. So, I gave a rousing "Puppy! Puppy!, Puppy!" and, thank God, it came over to my car and I had it cornered seeing my front door was open and there was a car next to mine, and caught it for her. What a relief that Roo was already in the car, or it'd be on!
One geuss who needs a good comb out? Jarrah looks like a moth eaten carpet now she is dropping coat. LOL.
WOW ,GF it was good thing you where or that Sibe could had gotten hit by a car. It looks like your little Roo is really growing to be taking interest in girls already. Roo sure is a good looking male , I bet he know it too.
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, the Sibe was an accident going somewhere to happen. Horsham is the capital of the Wimmera area so to speak and even on Sundays there is plenty of traffic. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time, and realising what had happened. I had my back turned.I didn't even know the dog's name was Storm but I'd seen the woman with the Sibe, so when I heard her yelling "Storm" I actually thought 'good name for a Sibe', yet when I turned and called him I used 'Puppy!' because most young dogs react so well to it. Even my adult dogs like to be fussed over and called Puppy. LOL.
This pup, Roo, thinks he is the biggest and best stud muffin there is, Barkingdog. Jarrah is in season so he, ummm, practices. Can't reach her, but next time she comes in they'll need to be separated. But I agree, very precocious for his age.
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes, the Sibe was an accident going somewhere to happen. Horsham is the capital of the Wimmera area so to speak and even on Sundays there is plenty of traffic. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time, and realising what had happened. I had my back turned.I didn't even know the dog's name was Storm but I'd seen the woman with the Sibe, so when I heard her yelling "Storm" I actually thought 'good name for a Sibe', yet when I turned and called him I used 'Puppy!' because most young dogs react so well to it. Even my adult dogs like to be fussed over and called Puppy. LOL.
This pup, Roo, thinks he is the biggest and best stud muffin there is, Barkingdog. Jarrah is in season so he, ummm, practices. Can't reach her, but next time she comes in they'll need to be separated. But I agree, very precocious for his age.
I knew kids grew up fast today , I did not know dogs did too. LOL! There should be a class for puppies to have safe sex.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Bestia always had a problem with hmmm, "urges" since he was a wee baby... I feel bad about guero because he has to put up with it sometimes, but we always catch him in the act so Guero gets rescued.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 12th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, it was a rather wet day at Obedience today (Yay!! we desperately need rain)and consequently some people had gone home, others hadn't even arrived. Classes 1 and 2 had to be combined and a guy who I think may be American volunteered to instruct. (Kept calling me M'am, not an Aussie term.) So, apart from learning how to sit in puddles Roo was asked to do stand stays and stand for inspection for the first time and was pretty good. Interesting meeting between him and a black terrier that is a bit, a tiny bit, like a Scottish Terrier, the most vocally aggro dog at training apart from Roo. LOL. They looked at each other and said not a thing! My sister thinks that Roo couldn't read the dog because he is a black dog with black eyes. Possible I suppose, but what about vice-a-versa? Anyway, glad I went along. Hate missing a class.
Here is a photo just to show how much the boy has grown. Jarrah was just about to do a shoulder roll down onto the ground. Roo is now wearing my biggest sheltie dryzabone dog coat so it won't be long and he'll be into Susie's old weatherbeeta.
Attached Images

Old May 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I think my daughter's MIL just adopted a cattle dog mix . They're going to crate train the puppy and I think it will be left in a crate a lot. The MIL said she wanted a mellow dog, if the puppy is part cattle dog will it be mellow when it is full grown? It mixed with some kind of hound dog.
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd, Barkingdog. If she wanted mellow, I don't think either cattle dog or hound is a good choice...

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I really can't hazard a guess how such a pup would turn out. Golly, like a cattle dog, would it be a good guard; let people into the place but not out; want to heel you as you walk by; be so active you need to find things for it to do, or like a hound, is it going to want to clear out and go hunting? It's not much of a life for any dog to be left in a crate a lot, especially hard on an active dog. I can only pray she gets good advice from someone about its welfare.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
omd, Barkingdog. If she wanted mellow, I don't think either cattle dog or hound is a good choice...
I was told the puppy is mellow, but I think it is mellow right now as it been in a shelter and was shipped from out of state and is not familiar of anything or any person. The puppy looks like a herding dog and I can't see this breed being kept in a crate for very long time. I hope it works out for the puppy , the woman had to give her last dog away as she could not handle it. And she had another dog that was too big for her .She really is clueless about picking a dog out. The puppy does looks like a cross between a cattle dog and a hound dog , I only saw some photos of him.

GF, I am concerned about the dog being crate trained , I was told the puppy will be trained. I wish shelters would educate people about the dog temperament before letting them take it home and find out how long the dog will be left home along during the day. It really is not fair to the puppy or dog going to the wrong person a second time.

Last edited by Barkingdog; May 12th, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I was told the puppy is mellow, but I think it is mellow right now as it been in a shelter and was shipped from out of state and is not familiar of anything or any person. The puppy looks like a herding dog and I can't see this breed being kept in a crate for very long time. I hope it works out for the puppy , the woman had to give her last dog away as she could not handle it. And she had another dog that was too big for her .She really is clueless about picking a dog out. The puppy does looks like a cross between a cattle dog and a hound dog , I only saw some photos of him.

GF, I am concerned about the dog being crate trained , I was told the puppy will be trained. I wish shelters would educate people about the dog temperament before letting them take it home and find out how long the dog will be left home along during the day. It really is not fair to the puppy or dog going to the wrong person a second time.
See, and I thought the shelters always did a very detailed application and interview process to make sure the new home matches the dog, that just doesn't seem right. Like you said going to the wrong person a second time its not fair.

Old May 13th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

GF, that's a good picture of the two of them. Nikki is as big as Halo now too. Lupa is wider, but shorter. LOL She's like a tank. Roo is looking good!
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I like it myself, DD. He's getting naughtier now. Wanting to tear outside to see if there is a cat to chase. Heeling me or jumping and grabbing my clothes or hands. Lots of lessons coming up for the norty boy!
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ah, those teenage years! LOL

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well, it was a rather wet day at Obedience today (Yay!! we desperately need rain)and consequently some people had gone home, others hadn't even arrived. Classes 1 and 2 had to be combined and a guy who I think may be American volunteered to instruct. (Kept calling me M'am, not an Aussie term.) So, apart from learning how to sit in puddles Roo was asked to do stand stays and stand for inspection for the first time and was pretty good. Interesting meeting between him and a black terrier that is a bit, a tiny bit, like a Scottish Terrier, the most vocally aggro dog at training apart from Roo. LOL. They looked at each other and said not a thing! My sister thinks that Roo couldn't read the dog because he is a black dog with black eyes. Possible I suppose, but what about vice-a-versa? Anyway, glad I went along. Hate missing a class.
Here is a photo just to show how much the boy has grown. Jarrah was just about to do a shoulder roll down onto the ground. Roo is now wearing my biggest sheltie dryzabone dog coat so it won't be long and he'll be into Susie's old weatherbeeta.
It looks like Roo told your other dog a very funny joke in that last photo.
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

It does now you mention it.

Here is a photo that might make you laugh. A friend put a link up to a video on Facebook showing how supple a dingo is, the person handling the dingo tipped its head back over so it was looking along its back and said that dingoes will do that to watch you if you are behind them, that they are very flexible. Well, young Roo has some serious flexibility of his own as this photo of him rolling shows, and he was NOT trying to grab his tail.
Attached Images

Old May 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It does now you mention it.

Here is a photo that might make you laugh. A friend put a link up to a video on Facebook showing how supple a dingo is, the person handling the dingo tipped its head back over so it was looking along its back and said that dingoes will do that to watch you if you are behind them, that they are very flexible. Well, young Roo has some serious flexibility of his own as this photo of him rolling shows, and he was NOT trying to grab his tail.
I never seen a dog bend their head back like that. That is funny!
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll have to watch the pups to see how far they bend. I don't think it's that far. But honestly sometimes when they sleep they are so bent and twisted it can't be comfortable. Lupa and Nikki both love chasing their tails, the tails are pretty long and they're easily able to catch them. Of course catching the other dogs tail is waaaaay more fun.