Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 13th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Question Thai.....

Ok PLS help. We just had Thai nuetered on Thursday. He has been so active since his surgery. Like he had no surgery at all. Here is the problem.... today while sitting on the couch, Thai tried to mount my leg... and do the deed.....But he never ever did that before he was fixed. So now why is he doing that???? Is it ball envy??? HELP!
Any suggestions?? And how is best to train him that that behaviour to me is not appropriate??? Do I push him down and say no! Or do i ignore it?? Or do what??
Thanks for the suggestions...
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Sorry, but I had to laugh at your post - "ball envy".

Not sure, but can the "residual swimmers" be giving him a little testosterone charge, one last "hurrah" as it were? It is more likely a dominance thing. I'm sure someone will be posting with a better suggestion, but I think you need to get him off of you, give him a firm "No" or "Off", whichever you prefer. If he persists, put him in a "down" when you take him off. Make sure he knows you're the Alpha in that relationship. Some might suggest squirting him with a spray bottle, or shaking a tin can with some pennies in it. I can't remember from your previous posts - is he going to obedience school yet? Good luck!
Old September 14th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Question Thai....

Yes Thai graduated from Primary Obedience class about 2 weeks ago. He is almost 7 months old. He has never done that before, to anyone or anything. So now I have gone and got him neutered... and now he is trying to hump my leg, even my arm!! He did not try this at all with my husband, just me. I have tried the spray bottle for other things, he LOVES it... chases the beads of water... or stream of water!
I dunno... just curious I guess as to why he would start this behaviour after being fixed, when there was absolutely no sign of this before???
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:20 AM

When you see dogs mounting eachother, unless they are breeding, it is all dominance related. He seems to be trying to dominate you. Your husband must be a lot firmer with him than you are so Thai figures that he can dominate you. When he does that, push him off, look him straight in the eyes and say "NO!" in a really firm voice, but not screaming. If he does it again, physically place him in a down with your foot on the leash and keep him there for 30 seconds to a minute, without talking to him. Then let him go. This will teach him that you are also Alpha in the household. Oh yeah, make sure he is wearing his leash so you can have better control. Hope that helps!
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:22 PM

Wilson did the same thing after he was nuetered. Before we got him done, he never humped anything, then about a week after I he humped his pillow a couple of times. He doesn't do it anymore though so I put it down to maybe being itchy from the stitches??