Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Sensitive tummy, but good with raw

( I should say certain raw ) he is on Karnivore, but getting too expensive .Now, as everyone here by now knows, is harley has a very weak digestive system. He is finally coming around with just his kibble after the huge ordeal.
I do not know if it is the drugs or the kibble.
I really do want to feed him 1/2 raw. would like to be able to give him something he can snack on. But very unsure of his stomache and the pieces breaking again.
Can you raw gurus help please. Do any of you know What I can feed him, that will not cause him the runs.
or something he can chew that will not cause more harm than good for all the great advice so far
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Honest Contributor

if you suspect it was the bone that gave him the tummy upsets, just feed him boneless meats and he should be ok. To balance the calcium/phosporus out, mix in 1 tsp of ground eggshells for every 1 lbs of meat (for the days you feed ground meats - if it's chunks of meat you can leave the calcium out as he is eating kibble and it will even out in the end). I would also blend in a raw egg, keep the shell and after a few days of collecting and drying them, you can pulverize in a coffee grider to get the calcium in powder form. cheap and super efficient

Right now whole chickens are on sale at Metro for $1/lbs. you can take the meat off for harley and use the bones to make yummy soup stock (for yourself or for him, just add rice and veggies and puree!). Pork is also on sale until Sunday, and check the new flyers coming tomorrow morning to see what's available this coming week. you never know when you'll hit a sale! good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Rottie owner and lover

ok going to the butcher tonight....what should i ask for
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Honest Contributor

ask him to give you the cheapest cuts of meat he has, LOL! but not the fatty bits. cartilege and tougher meats are ok though. also if you buy chunks of meat, he can grind them for you at no extra charge. Figure out how much you are paying for the pre-made Karnivore patties (per pound) and aim to cut it down by half, if not more - nobody needs to go broke feeding a raw diet! you can get pork, beef, chicken, turkey, anything on sale: the point is to serve it fresh (not cooked), not too fatty ie chicken skin sticking to the meat is ok, but the dangling lumps of fat and skin are not.

also most butchers hate the thought of "their" meat going to the dogs, so don't mention it's for harley. they don,t have to know. that way you'll get MUCH better cuts of meat. the key words are "roast" and "meaty". no bones for harley unless they are ground in with the meat in balanced proportions.

i wish you had an electric meat grinder... you'd have a ball making your own raw mixes!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I wish there was something I could give him to chew on...he loved it...but his safety is first
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Rottie owner and lover

buy grinding, is he making a soup, lol