Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
-

possessive of food

I have a new foster,he's 18 months old,a real sweetheart,loves my other 3 dogs.Only one problem,he has a very sad past,being left by his owner on a farm,nobody took care of him,got hit by a car,then again was left uncouncious for 4 days without anyone helping him!He broke a tooth in the process so takes more time for him to eat.Since the others finishes before him and gets close to him and watch him finish his food,he shows them teeth and growls a bit,not a lot.I really wish for him a new family with a dog to play with/keep him company.Is there anything I can do to help him get over this food issue?I do keep my dogs out of his way when he eats but wish I could do more.please help.
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

For now I would keep the others away and let him eat in peace. As his tummy starts to get full (over the next 10 days) and he develops relationships with these dogs he might calm down and relax. See how things progress over the next week. Right now he is probably not his 'truest' self as he has been in survival mode for too long. If he continues this 'snarly' attitude and has developed respect and trust for you then you can start to guide him into better manners.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:02 PM
-

It's getting worse!From the time I wrote this message until now,he had a fight with my 10 yr old female just because she walk by a toy while he was playing with another,far from her.He just got up,ran to her and jumped on her and they had a fight.I separated them,took all the toys away (I am still shaking!) I just don't want anything to happen to my dogs!I still have to foster him but will ask for a family without kids or animals.Even so,I don't know if people will want to adopt him when I tell them how he is.Other than that he is really sweet,I took his toys away and he didn't do anything.It's just with the other dogs.
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

As long as he isn't aggressive towards people over toys or food, I wouldn't worry too much.

You musn't expect dogs to want to share things - especially food - with other dogs.

Anyone who expects dogs to happily share and get along with all other dogs is expecting too much. You haven't had this dog long, and he comes from a bad and insecure background, and you really shouldn't have him in the midst of your dogs anyway at this point in time.
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
-

I understand what you are saying lucky,but for a dog to ran across the room to jump on a dog who just walked by a toy is a little bit more than what I can deal with.Daisy didn't do nothing to provoke him!
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM

He still thinks he is in survival mode. He isn't looking to anyone in the house for leadership and feels he has to be assertive in order to survive.
Get him on the leash right now!
He needs to see you as the leader of this group and having him follow you around will help with that. Ask him to do lots of things when you are with him. Having him on the leash will give you the chance to monitor his manners better and correct his mistakes and guide him into better choices. This will keep your dogs safer while he is learning.
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM
-

I did not tought of that and it makes perfect sense.I am not the most bossy girl with my dogs because they never do anything "bad".I will try the leash thing,thanks.
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Tenderfoot .... I think you give such wonderful advice to us. I know you sure helped me with Montana in our multi dog household. Kudos to you for all the assistance you provide.

Pat and Montana
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Daisy didn't do nothing to provoke him!
To US she didn't do anything to provoke him, but dogs see things differently and have a different language than we have, and this new dog has no reason to trust yet.

He needs to learn that you will not let anything happen to him.
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Hi There

I can't offer much advice, but I can say that, having been in a similar situation, if you follow the advice given, you and the dog will be fine.
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks Pat & Montana - Its great to know that we have helped.
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
-

Scooby

Scooby was a good dog this week,he eats in another room and the toys are still put away.I'm afraid to take them out!But I made him "work" for everything and he does listen well.I have another question;can I take this as a good sign;he has been playing with Sam and Bailey (started 3 days ago) and he has no problem being on his back with them nibling on him,I take it as a submissive position.Does that mean he's doing better?Do you think that means that he would be less possessive with food and toys?