Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Compromised account

Peanut Butter Kong

Hi guys!

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on giving a 3.5 months old puppy a small kong with frozen pnut butter, as a treat. I read it somewhere here on the forum, that people give that to their dogs as a treat.

I would like to try that, but not quite sure that it wouldn't cause a problem, so I wanted to ask for your opinions.

Thanks!
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If it's going to be a regular treat for him, I would suggest using a 'natural' peanut butter. The regular kind is very high in fat & has quite a bit of salt.

I've also used cheese whiz (squirt cheese - and again not a very healthy kind of treat), or fat free yogurt to stuff my kongs.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Half Way To Crazy

here are some interesting recipes for a kong

http://www.labmed.org/catalog/kong2.html

Old September 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Compromised account

Thanks kandy and breeze, I appreciate your responses and would definitely use the natural p-butter, I was just wondering about it, if it was going to give him problems like diarrea (sp?) or is it okay?
I put his natural treat in it, its a "Wellness" puppy bite or something, all natural and good...But he gave up really easily, so I want to entice him more with something that he thinks is "my" food.
Also, as treats, he seems to be attracted to fruits, like apples, pears etc... what should I beware of?? He is small, thats the only concern is to disrupt his digestion.
Right now, all he gets is 3-4 of those little square treats (0.5" x 0.5") of Wellness and his chewy bone.
I wanted to give him something to keep really busy when I step out or go to work, that would also cheer hm up while I am away...
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
-

The periods that I crate Nelly (like now ) :sad: I give her a medium frozen peanut butter before I leave. I know it's fattening but Nelly has a fast metabolism (like most great danes) and never got diarhea from it.
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I use both frozen and non frozen peanut butter Kongs. We have a 3.5 month old pup and I have never had an issue using it. Our pup is very active so the fat content is not an issue. There is not a lot of PB in it as I fill it with cookies then the PB to keep him busy while we are out.
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

For fruits - make sure you never give him grapes (or raisins). Those are poisonous.

Sorry can't help more than that with the fruit, the only kind of fruit any of mine like are apples, and then only if more than one of them is getting bites (they are more worried about the others getting a treat than what the treat is). LOL Other than that, they turn up their noses at fruit.
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Compromised account

Awesome! I will try the new treat tomorrow! Thanks everyone!!!
I don't think there will be an issue of fat content, Sparky gets 30 minutes walk + about 10-15 minutes play every morning before I leave for work, my nephews take turns to come and visit him during the day, walk and play with him, he gets another nice walk as soon as I am back (around 4pm) and another looooong walk and play before bed. He also plays randomly at different times while I cook dinner etc.. Plus he is a growing boy.
He is so funny...I also started a routine for grooming/calming down after play before bed, its our time to reconnect in a calmer way, I comb him through, check his ears, paws, eyes etc...So last night he saw me settling on the floor with a comb and he came running...SO cute!

Last edited by JennieV; September 4th, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
chronically insane.

I used to give my dog the Cheezewiz stuff in his kong. Or I'd take a milk bone, dunk it in some peanut butter and put it in there. Never had any problems with it.

I miss my dog :sad:

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Natural peanut butter gave Chase the runs (REALLY badly) when he was three months, but the regular kind was okay so long as he only had a amall amount. I wouldn't overstuff the Kong to begin with. He eventually got used to the natural PB around 5 or 6 months old.

Good healthy treats that you can get started with are apples, banana, frozen melon balls (these are VERY popular in my house!), carrots and broccoli. Just start with only small amounts and don't give more than one new thing in a day to avoid tummy upset.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

you can mix the peanut butter with yogurt if you want to make it "mild" and a bit healthier. I mix a tblsp of PB with a 1/2 cup of yogurt - blend in food processor and use that to stuff the kong - then freeze. put the kong in a cup in the freezer... it drips out the hole a little before it freezes. the yogurt mixture is a little "thin"

I have stuffed my dog's kong with things such as... chicken, hot dogs, turkey dogs, cheese sticks, beef, canned dog food, tuna, salmon, yogurt, PB, yogurt mixed w/ mandarin oranges, carrot pieces, plain cooked pasta (no sauce), dog biscuits, kibble, etc... there really is no limit as long as you avoid the obvious dangers, like poisonous foods (grapes, onions, chocolate, etc...) I stuck to mild foods when my dog was a pup, and got more adventurous as he got older and his digestive system could handle it.

in fact, today I left for work and gave him a kong stuffed w/ a homemade chicken tender in it! he didn't even notice i left the house.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Compromised account

So I tried the PB today...Oh boy, was it ever a success...now, he sees me with his kong in my hands and he follows me around...I dont know how, but the kong was licked spotless.
And no runs, I am happy about that... I only have the half-fat PB at home, and didnt have time to shop for natural one, I just put a little bit, mixed with his kibbles and froze it....
God bless the person who invented stuffing kong!
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Live well, laugh often

Another super quick kong recipe is to buy some frozen meatballs. You can stuff them in frozen or thaw first. Doesn't last as long as a fully frozen kong but I use it as a treat when I walk out the door or just when I want to calm things down a bit.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Frozen Kongs - what a great idea!
THanks for the link to the recipe.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

JennieV

Have u had continued sucess with this?

We dont have a Kong but a ball? (No idea the name) But its stuffable..

I think Diamond would be extremely happy if I were to give her the ball with some PB in it