Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old April 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Question Considering Adopting a Pair of Ferrets

Hi All,

Now that we're moving and will have lots more space I've been approached about adopting a pair of ferrets. I don't have a lot of info yet, but I know they are coming from a good home that is involved in dog foster etc. Problem is they've got a second child on the way and are running out of room...sounds like they took on more than they could handle rescue-wise. So they are reluctantly looking for a good home and a mutual friend recommended us.

I'll obviously be doing my own research as well but wanted some info from knowledgeable pets.ca members regarding what we'd be getting into if we take them on.

Seems they need a larger cage than they are currently in, so we'd have to buy one and who knows how much that would cost?

What do they eat? Approx. monthly cost?

Maintenance requirements? What do you line their cage with and how often does it need cleaning?

Attention? How much playtime each day do they typically need? (Not that we are the type of people to stick animals in a cage and ignore them, but want to have an idea whether they are demanding or not).

Do they play nice with other animals or would we need to keep them separated from the rest if they are out of their cage?

Thanks guys - any insight would be appreciated while I mull this over!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I'd love to have a ferret. I've heard and read they are wonderful loving pets, and VERY smart. From what I understand, they sleep quite a bit and are mostly active a few hours a day. I've seen dry ferret food from Innova, but I believe I've read that cat food is acceptable, but I can't be sure of this.

I've also read they are quite mischievous.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I've also read they are quite mischievous.
Then they would fit right in around here

Old April 24th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Cool - just learned they use a litterbox. I thought it was more like a hampster situation....wasn't sure I was willing to take on cleaning an entire cage all the time.

And you;re right about the cat food AG.

Clearly they need plenty of outside-the-cage roaming time. We'd be fine with them doing this but I don't know how they would feel about the other animals? We can give them the laundry room if need be.....

I think the dogs will be scared of them but Rupert is pretty large and such a hunter I'm not sure if he would try to hurt them?

Last edited by Chaser; April 24th, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I would imagine you would have to introduce them like any other new pet. Maybe letting your current furries smell something of theirs at the beginning.

I don't know if you ever saw this, but I found these photos a few years ago, and just fell in love.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51945
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey Chaser! Nice to see ya! I have heard that ferrets can be pretty social little critters so I am not sure having them in just one room would be good but not sure??

I would be a tad worried about Rupert if he has prey drive you may have some issues.

There must be someone on the site that has experience with them...

Hope the gang is well! How is Heidi doing?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:24 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hey chaser,,,i have had 3 ferrets in my life,,the pics AG posted look like a little boy..males have a wider muzzle than females..yes they use a litter box and poop is same consistancy as kitty poop pretty much..make sure you get a good water bottle for them and of course hammocks and a hiding sack..be prepared,,they have a rather musky pungent aroma to them..we usually used pine shavings in the cage for odor control and never had a problem..they do require outside of the cage play time. Every ferret i've ever known for some reason had a thing for sock feet.If for some reason they do latch onto a foot or some other body part,,try not to pull away as they have hooked teeth , give a light little flick under the chin and they will release..We never had any problem with the ferrets and the dogs,,kitty on the other hand was a different story...keep a close eye on them..to the cat it will look like a big furry slinky that must be pounced on.