Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 4th, 2002, 02:02 PM

Angry Feeding Outdoor Dog

I am trying to help a neglected outdoor dog survive our harsh winter. He is housed in a 4 x 4 wooden house that my neighbour has obtained some straw bedding for, and covered the opening with a piece of carpet. If I take 'Harley' indoors, I could be charged with theft. The Humane Soc. cannot interfere because we refuse to let him get to the point of starving.

Has anyone a home made recipe for high energy foods that I could feed him? He is 8 mo. old short-hair shepherd/rottweiler that only gets human interaction from the neighbour and myself. The owner was only interested in him as a 'cute puppy' and now that he is almost full grown, has lost all interest in him. I have four dogs of my own and would offer to purchase him myself but I have one more than the municipality legally allows.
Old February 1st, 2002, 02:31 PM

There are many high energy food on the market like the Tecnical and the Nutro brands. I believe that Liver would be high protein but you would have to double check with a vet. If you needed too i'm sure that you could arrange for another local organisation to help you if you were to um, compasionatly relocate the dog. (if all other methods failed.) Check on the internet or with local vets. Ask the man if he would allow you to take the dog off his hands for a certain sum of money? see what he says. You never know. Good luck. you can mail me if you have any further questions about the food I could find out further for you.
Old October 24th, 2002, 01:55 PM

To Jackie

Jackie: maybe the neglected dog can "accidentally" get out of the yard....then, you can do something......
Old October 24th, 2002, 11:52 PM

Yes good idea. I think the dog could accidentaly go missing from the yard too. This dog owner is disgusting and no dog deserves to live like that. Perhaps a rescue could give some advice.
Old October 26th, 2002, 06:57 AM

Smile

I am all for helping the poor dog stuck outside, & I commend everyone fro the time & effort being put into helping it. But you must realize that what you are suggesting in this forum is illeagal in most states. So please work with the owner (I know this may not be realistic), animal control officer & or the cruelty investigator @ the humaine soc. / SPCA in your area.

The HSUS & SPCA people have dedicated themselves to prevent just what you don't want to happen animal abuse. Please don't resort to taking the law into your own hands even if it is for the right reasons. Thanx for letting me have my say.
Old October 30th, 2002, 06:07 AM

The laws regarding the care of animals are not stringent enough. People get away with amazing cruelty and neglect. Though I am a law abiding citizen I would not hesitate to break the law and rescue this dog. Then I would be prepared to accept the consequences if there were any. Usually there are not, as the people who are neglecting the dog don't care if it goes missing, they see it as "Oh well" Unfortunately these people often get another dog and treat it just as badly.
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:22 AM

Hi Anne,
I definately understand the frustration you are experiencing! I have been in similar situations. Like you say it will help this 1 dog in particular but it does not help the next one & address the real ploblem: that these people are ignorant!

If the owners will not freely give you the animal I would call the law enforcement officials. The laws are not great here either but as a law abiding citizen you are obligated to at least try to go through the proper channels first. Otherwise you may get labled as an extremest & a trouble maker & the plate may be reversed & the law may side against you!

Any ways, good luck. I hope you can come to a solution. Have a good one.

Linda
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:19 PM

Hi Linda, It's not me who has the revolting neighbours who are neglecting their dog it's Jackie37. However if it was me I wouldn't mind being labelled an extremist if it would help the dog. Sure you can't save all dogs but you might be able to save one. Thanks for the concerned reply.
Cheers - Anne
Old October 31st, 2002, 08:13 AM

Talking

Hi Anne,

Oops!

I hope Jackie37 was reading.
It is good to hear for nieghbors down under!
Have a great day!

Linda
Old October 31st, 2002, 08:24 PM

Horrible position to be in

While I don't advocate anyone breaking the law.....certain situations call for certain measures to be taken outside of the law.

While we have our SPCA's and Humane Society's who are supposed to be there for the protection of animals, sometimes they are overloaded,uninterested, and some of their societies members have their own dog breeder business agenda. SHAME ON THEM!!!

So sometimes the individual has to make a stand for what is right and what is wrong. I've seen people berating and being verbally frightening to their child. I speak up. Quietly, to them, I speak up. If they go further with abusing their child, so do I go further with finding out where that child lives. I would hope that all people do the same, but they don't.

As for animals being abused.....my feelings are the same. Remember a canine's intelligence does not go much further than the intelligence of 4 year old child. If someone denies a dog the basic right of decent nutrition,companionship,respect,education (YES! a dog deserves an education. ie sit,stay,heel), and love, they do not deserve to own that animal.

I personally have rescued (what some people call steal) 3 dogs and 7 cats, 4 of which had kittens shortly after. Only one of the "owners" reported their pet missing. Hmmmmm

After a bit I'm sure they all or most of them got another pet.

And the cycle continues......
Attached Images

Mahatma Ghandi
Old November 23rd, 2002, 07:18 PM
The Pit Bull Lady

take the dog out of the yard

Take that dog out of the yard soon and see if you can get a foster home for it.

This is a breed that needs human interaction and socialization, it thrieves off it. When it doesn't get it, they become quite sad and you can say they start getting a little upset.

This could be a potentially dangerous situation, I beg you to get this dog out of that backyard.

Do we know if this dog has been used for Dog Fighting/ Gambelling, generally dog fighters make these "little houses" for them and put straw and such in them.

If you would like some advice for the subject, feel free to get ahold of me personally at info@itsapitty.com I have many members in my society who actully walk into backyards of dogs who are tied up and have been used for dog fighting and take them to foster homes where they recieve correct care.